PDA

View Full Version : im about to explod !!! when does the b.s. stop with these churches !!!

84honda200s
10-07-2010, 02:25 AM
By MARK SHERMAN, Associated Press Writer Mark Sherman, Associated Press Writer – 2 hrs 28 mins ago WASHINGTON – Supreme Court justices, in a rare public display of sympathy, strongly suggested Wednesday they would like to rule for a dead Marine's father against fundamentalist church members who picketed his son's funeral — but aren't sure they can. Left unresolved after an hourlong argument that explored the limits of the First Amendment: Does the father's emotional pain trump the protesters' free speech rights? The difficulty of the constitutional issue was palpable in the courtroom as the justices weighed the case of Albert Snyder. His son died in Iraq in 2006, and members of a family-dominated church in Topeka, Kan., protested at the funeral to express their view that U.S. deaths in Afghanistan and Iraq are God's punishment for American immorality and tolerance of homosexuality and abortion. Margie Phelps, arguing the case for her family's Westboro Baptist Church, said the message of the protests at military funerals and elsewhere is, "Nation, hear this little church. If you want them to stop dying, stop sinning." Phelps' argument did not endear her to the justices, who asked repeatedly whether Snyder had any recourse. "This is a case about exploiting a private family's grief," said Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg, who questioned whether the First Amendment should protect the church members. Could a wounded soldier sue someone who demonstrates "outside the person's home, the person's workplace, outside the person's church ... saying these kinds of things: `You are a war criminal,' whatever these signs say or worse?" Justice Elena Kagan asked. Justice Samuel Alito wanted to know if the Constitution also would shield someone who delivers a mean-spirited account of a soldier's death to the serviceman's grandmother while she's leaving her grandson's grave. "She's waiting to take a bus back home," Alito imagined and someone approaches to talk about the roadside bomb that killed the soldier. "`Let me describe it for you, and I am so happy that this happened. I only wish I were there. I only wish that I could have taken pictures of it.' And on and on. Now, is that protected by the First Amendment?" Snyder, of York, Pa., is asking the court to reinstate a $5 million verdict against the Westboro members who held signs outside the Westminster, Md., funeral of Lance Cpl. Matthew Snyder, including ones that read "Thank God for Dead Soldiers," "You're Going to Hell" and "God Hates the USA." The 20-year-old Marine was killed in a Humvee accident in 2006. The church also posted a poem on its website that assailed Snyder and his ex-wife for the way they brought up Matthew.Click image to see photos of military funeral protestersChip Somodevilla/Getty Images Phelps said the court has never allowed a speaker to be held liable for remarks on a topic of public interest, in this case U.S. war deaths. She also suggested that the court would find it difficult to draw a line that would protect grieving families without imposing significant limits on unpopular speech. Chief Justice John Roberts and Justices Samuel Alito and Antonin Scalia appeared, to varying degrees, to be searching for a way to rule for Snyder. Snyder won an $11 million verdict against the church for intentional infliction of emotional distress, among other claims. A judge reduced the award to $5 million, then the federal appeals court in Richmond, Va., threw out the verdict altogether as barred by the church's First Amendment rights.
One possibility suggested by Scalia is that the court could order a new trial in the case. Alito led Phelps through a series of questions intended to get her to concede that there are instances in which people could file lawsuits like Snyder's, including an African-American who is subjected to a stream of racial hatred from someone who believes blacks are inherently inferior. "That's a matter of public concern?" Alito asked. Phelps wavered, saying that race is an issue of public concern, but that church members do not approach people "to berate them." She said the protest at the funeral had the permission of the police and involved only holding up signs. Westboro members, led by the Rev. Fred Phelps, have picketed many military funerals. They welcome the attention the protests have brought, mocking their critics and vowing not to change their ways whatever the outcome at the Supreme Court. Church members turned out in advance of the argument Wednesday morning, to march in front of the court with placards of the type they've been carrying to military funerals. A line of people trying to get into the court stretched around the corner of the majestic building atop Capitol Hill. For Snyder, the case is not about free speech but harassment. "I had one chance to bury my son and it was taken from me," Snyder said. His lawyer, Sean Summers, told the justices that the protest is unprotected by the Constitution because of the "personal, targeted nature of the attack on the Snyder family." Forty-eight states, 42 U.S. senators and veterans groups have sided with Snyder, asking the court to shield funerals from the Phelpses' "psychological terrorism." While distancing themselves from the church's message, media organizations, including The Associated Press, have called on the court to side with the Phelpses because of concerns that a victory for Snyder could erode speech rights. A decision is expected by late spring.

The case is Snyder v. Phelps, 09-751. ___ Associated Press Writer Jim Abrams contributed to this report.

and people wonder why i dont like church !!! id be using my rite to have freedom of speech. if it wernt for our men and women dieing over there these freaks wouldnt have have the rite to believe in whatever it is they believe in !!! these morons need to go pray to the guy that doesnt exist and leave these poor families to morn there loss of their loved ones. im so sick of the churches doing what ever they want to ..

factoryX
10-07-2010, 10:15 AM
dude, not all religion is this dumb. They aren't even true Christians because this goes against everything the bible has to say.

dksix
10-07-2010, 10:34 AM
IN the end of days the Bible says there will be many false profits teaching against Gods word, that is what these people are doing. The Bible clearly states over and over that you should pray for your enemies, that no man is to judge another and that Gods love is without end. Does the First Amendment give these people the right to says these things, in my opinion yes but if they were going by the Word of God they wouldn't want to. What they are doing is morally wrong, though legal. I am a Christian and I study the bible daily, there is nothing I've ever read that would indicate the things they are doing or have done are Godly. This is a false profit on an ego trip just needing the attention. There is a big difference in the teachings of Billy Graham and Jim Jones.

Luke 6:27-36

[27] "But I tell you who hear me: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, [28] bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you. [29] If someone strikes you on one cheek, turn to him the other also. If someone takes your cloak, do not stop him from taking your tunic. [30] Give to everyone who asks you, and if anyone takes what belongs to you, do not demand it back. [31] Do to others as you would have them do to you.

[32] "If you love those who love you, what credit is that to you? Even 'sinners' love those who love them. [33] And if you do good to those who are good to you, what credit is that to you? Even 'sinners' do that. [34] And if you lend to those from whom you expect repayment, what credit is that to you? Even 'sinners' lend to 'sinners,' expecting to be repaid in full. [35] But love your enemies, do good to them, and lend to them without expecting to get anything back. Then your reward will be great, and you will be sons of the Most High, because he is kind to the ungrateful and wicked. [36] Be merciful, just as your Father is merciful.

hang&rattle
10-07-2010, 12:38 PM
^ Everybody is right on. My Mom & Dad are Pastor's. Whatever church these hypocrites serve isn't the same as our God, or the God 84honda200s is thinking. Don't get different beliefs and 'religions' mixed up. Do not use 'church' as a general reference to represent the Christian God in it too. Those people are not Christians. Real Christians are pro-war, because we are sent to defend against Gods enemies. Translated through the lexicon, It does not say 'though shall not kill', it says, 'though shall not commit murder'. The soldier did as he was told in a holy war against evil in a since, so these people are against God and his ways. Kill em' all, let God sort em' out!

thestud25
10-07-2010, 12:43 PM
I agree with Dk and Factoryx. This is not an example of a church following the teachings of Jesus. This type of church is no different then the Muslim extremists saying they are following the teachings of the Koran. People miscontrue schripture and teachings to fit their agenda. This happened during the Crusades and will continue to happen until the world comes to an end.

dksix
10-07-2010, 01:04 PM
Whatever church these hypocrites serve isn't the same as our God, or the God 84honda200s is thinking.

These people are not serving God, they are serving a man, Fred Phelps and his distortion of the Word of God.

hang&rattle
10-07-2010, 01:58 PM
^Exactly, look at my wording, I agree. Simply put, Fred is their 'God'.

84honda200s
10-07-2010, 11:28 PM
i apologize if i stepped on any toes. i didnt mean to do so. i dont believe in any being greater than human. but i do have to say most church groups are pretty fair and good to our service men and women. i was and still am very mad that our government is letting this happen to these families in their darkest hours. i have a couple high school friends in both army and marines and to see this makes me very angry. again im sorry if i stepped on anyone's toes. i wasnt out to do so. i was just venting .

factoryX
10-07-2010, 11:50 PM
And you have your right to think that way.

harryredtrike
10-08-2010, 01:05 AM
look at the patriot riders,they are nationwide.this is the response to these as*hol&s.if your really moved join your local chapter

hancadam
10-08-2010, 12:35 PM
This is a slippery slope.

You don't want the courts to rule on this because who's next? Freedom of speech is just that. We will hear things that we don't like, things that are vile. Just ignore it. Look what has happened to other rights when the supreme courts have ruled.

These people are deplorable. They actually showed up a couple years ago when one of our Soldiers Adam Bishop was killed. The bikers where here too though. It was amazing to see the support of a small town welcoming home one of their warriors. They had the fire trucks ladders raised and a huge flag hanging in the middle. Crowds and flags were everywhere. Seeing this outpour really calmed me down. If it wasn't for this I may have done something very stupid and irrational.

hang&rattle
10-09-2010, 02:17 AM
^Yup, I shouldn't have said anything. Sorry 84honda200s. And you are right hancadams, but I think you should have been 'stupid' (which it wouldn't had been), and irrational is your right to kick someones behind, People have concequences for there actions/mouths, and like Roy D. Mercer said 'A good ol' country trailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro-whoopin'. Stand and take your medicine. You will have to pay for it, but worth it.