PDA

View Full Version : None of my business how ya raise your kids but....

ironchop
10-14-2010, 03:10 AM
I think some folks know where I`m coming from. ATV`s get a bad rap as it is and once someone with any power sees the kinda stuff I`ve been seeing on Youtube, Quads can also go the way of the trike regarding the CPSC if they have their way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hL29QB0y5lM&NR=1&feature=fvwp

Like I said...raise yer younguns how ya want as it`s not for me to say but a kid this small shouldnt be on a Banshee in the first place in my opinion. This kinda stuff is all over Youtube. Four and five year olds on 400ex. Small kids with no helmets or riding dirtbikes and quads way too large and powerful for the child.

one slip of that throttle thumb from a stump bouncing off a front tire and that thing rockets your 60lb. child into a tree and you might change your mind. Not to mention that he becomes another statistic the rest of the ATV community has to pay for in the long run....rant over

leviblue
10-14-2010, 03:35 AM
it's all how you look at it. I don't think a 5yo should be on a banshee but I'm not their parent. Over the 4th of July weekend this year I was running an Outlaw Big Block Sprint car and we had a 12yo running hot laps with us. He wasn't alowed to race but could run pratice with us. I gotta say it was TOO MUCH MOTOR for him but he managed to get it around the track with a decent time. Then again I was running a 350 sprint at 12yo. Some kids can handle it some can't. If ALL SAFETY gear is worn and the child knows the risks, I'm sure they have crashed before, then let'em at it.

ironchop
10-14-2010, 04:04 AM
the way I see it though, the only way yer gonna find out if they can handle it or not, is by sticking your small kid on it and see what happens next...and that is one HUGE chance to take....I wouldn`t do it, myself...my son started riding an ATC110 at age 8...did really well and graduated to a 200S a year later and at 10, he pushed that thing to it`s limits...No sooner than I turned my head, the boy was crashin thru fences, jumping it, and trying to ride it down the road. I educated him on how to ride BEFOREHAND and gave him the rules. Helmet ALWAYS. NO riding on the blacktop. NO intentionally trying to jump the fence type stuff....He tried it anyway.....spent alot of time grounded from his trike.

He has an `83 200X now we been rebuilding. He`s Fifteen. I am glad I would never have put that boy on a Banshee at 8....I don`t believe in laws restricting parents for cc size and whatnot like they have these days and I still think it`s a parents choice....however, I am saying I believe it to be a BAD idea to begin with and if it goes horribly wrong, not only does the kid pay but footage like this is like ammunition for banners and their little documentary shows that get the public scared and calling for government action. Then, the actions of a few carry a price for the many.... It`s just bad form, man.

and my parents were SMART for making me ride the CR80 when I was that age instead of the 250R I wanted to ride...I would have definitely maimed myself as much a daredevil as I was.

fabiodriven
10-14-2010, 08:20 AM
Shouldn't be on it IMO.

corndawg
10-14-2010, 08:23 AM
it's all how you look at it. I don't think a 5yo should be on a banshee but I'm not their parent. Over the 4th of July weekend this year I was running an Outlaw Big Block Sprint car and we had a 12yo running hot laps with us. He wasn't alowed to race but could run pratice with us. I gotta say it was TOO MUCH MOTOR for him but he managed to get it around the track with a decent time. Then again I was running a 350 sprint at 12yo. Some kids can handle it some can't. If ALL SAFETY gear is worn and the child knows the risks, I'm sure they have crashed before, then let'em at it.
big block sprint car? mind pmin or maybe startin a thread in the open forum with pics and details?, ive only ever been around 410 and 360 sprints which are both small blocks, even the world of outlaw cars are 410 small block

hang&rattle
10-14-2010, 08:45 AM
Get alot of heat for my kids and their riding. They have been hurt more on horses. More kids even younger than 5 are hurt or killed everyear on horses. In car wrecks. Drowning. It's still a some-what free country. And if someone is stupid enough to point out how dangerous cycles are and not smart enough to look at other activities they can STFU and kiss both sides to my arse. I cannot and will not drop my I.Q. to deal with stupid people who raise their kids like pussies. That kid was in a contolled atmosphere, and was safe and having fun. Ever see a five year old get stepped on by a steer or calf at a rodeo? I do not go with the statas quo. I know whats best for my kids. That young kid riding was fine. And I hate the what if he accidentally stabs the throttle and hits the dog and the bike catches fire and hes burns to death. I think the scare that the CPSC has started has even infected atv'ers and seeped the brainwash into many. Just like milk causes cancer, or you need to have insurance (so some politician can get rich), just incase you get cancer. Contol your mind, don't think yourself sick or think your kids in danger and it will not happen, period.

harryredtrike
10-14-2010, 11:07 AM
im sure it wasnt his first trip to the rodeo.it looked like he had a healthy respect for the machine.i started mine young,2yrs old on riding.7 kids a year die in buckets every year around the house,ban buckets.

Fungo Wizard
10-14-2010, 11:24 AM
I hear what all of you are saying, but why can we not go buy our beloved trikes new at the dealer anymore? It is because of things like this. I am all for letting them learn, but it is a black eye waiting to happen to the atv community again. Hey more power to the little guy for riding it, but I think we will all agree we do not need any more bad press because of this type of thing.

HuffieVA
10-14-2010, 12:12 PM
I think there is a big difference between letting "A particular kid" ride something and letting "Any Kid" ride something... The reason trikes are in the situation they are now is the "Any Kid" part of the equation...

How can you put an age requirement on skill and talent?

JayBone
10-14-2010, 12:54 PM
I don't care what you do with your kid until it effects me or my wallet. (I don't have kids). Educating your kid comes in many different forms good & bad. I think the kid is doing fine, but it is a bit of a fast quad IMO. I'm glad he has a helmet on at least and maybe he has good skills and could be the next Pastrana or Christopher Reeve. Time will tell.

Mr_RPM
10-14-2010, 05:48 PM
im sure it wasnt his first trip to the rodeo.it looked like he had a healthy respect for the machine.i started mine young,2yrs old on riding.7 kids a year die in buckets every year around the house,ban buckets.

exactly, he looked like a better rider then most of my 18-26 year old friends, just for the fact that he could drive a clutch without stalling it.
Some kids just have a natural ability to do things earlier then others. some adults (alot) couldn't do what he did in that simple video.
yeah its a fast quad and maybe asking for it, but its up to the people that know his ability to choose. also he could just be a small guy, might be a little older then we think. could be 10 for all we know.

Billy Golightly
10-14-2010, 06:32 PM
He looks like a very well taught and trained capable child that should not have his own abilities stunted because he is above average and more capable than most.

RIDE-RED 250r
10-14-2010, 06:51 PM
Definately a touchy subject. I for one wouldnt put a youngster like that on a banshee or any other high perf quad or trike. The kid may be well trainable and ahead of the curve compared to some others, but physics does come into play here. Fact of the matter is that if a kid that size riding a full size race machine finds himself in a hairy situation, he doesnt have the strength and body mass needed to manuever the thing out of trouble the way a more expereinced, adult sized rider can. Dont get me wrong, im totally against the govt sticking their big fat noses in. I just think that common sense would dictate that kids that size are clearly much to small to handle a full size machine. Not saying i would agree with laws about this, but i do agree with the OP, this kind of thing plays nicely into the hands of the anti-everything crowds hands if the kid gets hurt...but ultimately, its up to the parents, and thats the way it should be

Dammit!
10-14-2010, 06:57 PM
I don't have a problem putting kids on bikes with some power. I don't agree with putting them on something that's way too big for them though. My own personal opinion is, you can teach a kid to operate something like that but there's no way he has the strength or body weight to truly handle it. Knowing how to operate something and actually being able to really handle it are two different things. 3 wheeler riders of all people should know there's a lot of instances that require a bit of man handling a bike to really control it. Small children just don't have that strength.

To each their own though. I would never put a kid that size on a bike that heavy. My rule has always been, if a kid can't put his feet flat on the ground while seated on the bike, it's too big for him. That's how we handled it when I was just a kid anyway. We had to be able to lift it by the grab bar too. I've always felt those two things are actually a pretty good metric for what size machines to put a kid on.

Edit: me and ride red were apparently posting at the same time.

factoryX
10-14-2010, 07:41 PM
ditto, my friends have been riding banshee's since they where 10, even though this is stupid they have some respect for the vehicle they are riding.

mymint87
10-14-2010, 07:56 PM
off roading is a sport that requires an elevated concentration level WHICH IS A GOOD THING for growing minds...I'd rather have my kids push their abilities under my close supervision than having them participate in another sport such as baseball FOR INSTANCE where they stand out in right field, day dreaming while chewing on their mitt...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFnf17cp3Eg

83ATC185
10-14-2010, 08:38 PM
My rule has always been, if a kid can't put his feet flat on the ground while seated on the bike, it's too big for him. That's how we handled it when I was just a kid anyway. We had to be able to lift it by the grab bar too. I've always felt those two things are actually a pretty good metric for what size machines to put a kid on.

Edit: me and ride red were apparently posting at the same time.

agreed when i was small i had to know how to maintain my bike. i had to be able to start it. i had to be able to put my feet flat on the ground. i had to be able to manuever my bike when i was off of it. I had to wear a helmet. i crashed some, got hurt some. but i did not look like that kid on the banshee. he looked to me like he was just "along for the ride" bouncing around on that thing. i got to ride my uncles and grandfathers bigger 4 wheelers, but only around in the yard. i never did any trailriding or anything on a big machine until i was about 14.

Dirtcrasher
10-14-2010, 09:34 PM
The kid seems to handle that machine very well. BUT, it simply has too much power that earns respect with age; I'm glad he can ride it well but if he hits that dirt mound and nails it, I'd hate to see him trapped under that quad.

He certainly seems to have a good teacher though!

Mr_RPM
10-14-2010, 10:08 PM
My rule has always been, if a kid can't put his feet flat on the ground while seated on the bike, it's too big for him. That's how we handled it when I was just a kid anyway. We had to be able to lift it by the grab bar too. I've always felt those two things are actually a pretty good metric for what size machines to put a kid on.

I can't do any of that on my 600lbs foreman 450....lol but yes i agree to what your saying with some exceptions ;)

factoryX
10-14-2010, 10:44 PM
I can't do any of that on my 600lbs foreman 450....lol but yes i agree to what your saying with some exceptions ;)

that only shows that there more dangerous.

oscarmayer
10-14-2010, 10:57 PM
my son is 7 now and is sponosred to race motocross, he jsut won the pee wee jr championship for the 2010 season at the series we race at. Speakign from expoirnece not out my butt here, My son learned to ride a 110 atv at 4 yrs old. at 6 he was riding so well he was able to kepe up with the 12 yr old whom has been in the wods we ride at for 5-6 years. That's pretty good. that was when we decided to get him into motocross. Now look at him. My son coudl probebly out ride half the adults on this forum why? I trained him the right way. Safety is first above all else. if you ask him what's the most important thing about riding, he'll tell you safety.

that kid int he video knows how to steer and controll that bike. he understands the throttle control really well and has no issues doing it. if he was not incontrol as you stated he woudl have already messed up when he went through the tight dunes there. but he was in complete control. that kid does just fine. It's not liek the kid is plasting down the road at 60mph and no helmet or gear. he's hitting maybe 20mph tops but msot of the tiem is at liek 6-9mph if that. so calm yourself down, drink a beer and keep that stuff to yourself. your comments and complaints about this stuff when you do not know how to properly judge skill is what will get the ATV baned not kids. yes some parents are dumb, but most are not.

the bike is big, but he is not racing it around and it's a very controlled situtation.

NINJA
10-14-2010, 11:17 PM
That Yamaha Banshee is designed for a 5'7"-6'0" rider at 160-180 pounds, bottom line. Yes, that kid has natural talent, is the machines weight, suspension, and power matched to his size? NO! Here's the problem, under adult supervision and in the yard he is responsible on that machine. What happens when little Johnny's friends are over and his parents are with their friends in the hot-tub not paying attention, and he decides to impress the other kids by starting that thing up and showing off for them? These scenarios play out every day.
But hey, what do I care, not my kid and you have your freedoms. Oh wait, it makes all of us that are into ATVs look bad and helps attorneys pad their wallets when there's an inevitable mishap, leading to more restrictions of the sport!

oscarmayer
10-14-2010, 11:23 PM
god made power to sort the weak and stupid out. the rest just have fun.....

harryredtrike
10-15-2010, 02:11 AM
Bottom line is children need supervision.i have loaded guns in the house too,lots of them.

fabiodriven
10-15-2010, 10:58 AM
I don't have a problem putting kids on bikes with some power. I don't agree with putting them on something that's way too big for them though. My own personal opinion is, you can teach a kid to operate something like that but there's no way he has the strength or body weight to truly handle it.

That's exactly how I feel about it. That quad is the one in charge there, not the kid. As stated though, to each their own...

hang&rattle
10-16-2010, 12:13 PM
I am 5' 3" and 125#. So I, at 40 years old, shouldn't ride a banshee? Or should I be 8' tall and 300# to ride a 700 Prairie? I could not touch flatfooted on a 125cr. That rule is truly stupid, I have rode a 2,400# buckin' bull. And there is the 'what if' question again. The gov't hoping to instill fear in you on 'what if's' or 'could happen'. That is for the weak minded and pisses me off,- here, let me sell you some health insurance for $3000 bucks a month, sure you can't afford to eat, but I'll get rich and 'what if' you get AIDS from a toilet seat?, 'what if' you get cancer?, 'what if' you get a life threatening scratch on your finger? Come on! That youg rider was being taught and trained. That was not any more dangerous than him waiting for the bus (more kids are kidnapped waiting for the bus than killed on atv's). And as for the ignorance the public and cpsc, they don't even take a second look at 3-wheelers, they are after other political objectives at this time. That kid riding has no effect on atving. When someone is going to make a political move we all know they will just lie about the safty issues, real Americans do not believe the cpsc or gov't if they have any sense anyway. The next ban will be for political reasons, whoever pays the politican to close more public land or something to that effect. Save the stupid wolves or a noxious weed in the desert that the farmers here would spray and kill. Don't let the gov't (cpsc) infect the minds of 3-wheeler owners with lies and 'what if's' or 'maybe's'. I don't speak up much, but hate the fact that members would actually back the lies and farse statements of the cpsc.

bigboy_toy85
10-16-2010, 12:35 PM
really to me thats not bad, as long as you teach your kids to respect the machines and know their limits.. that kid seem to have respect for it and knows how to drive it.. youve got to teach them to not over do thier limits and to keep it under controll.. I mean that kid was doing perfect.. he wasnt romping on it too bad, wasnt hitting the hill at full speed, wasnt jumping it, he was shifting his weight correctly, and he was having fun.. its not the machine thats dangerous.. its the rider, and as long as the rider knows what thier doing and respects the machine and the power, they will be fine..

Dirtcrasher
10-16-2010, 12:37 PM
Your also an adult with experience.

That kid looks like a doll on that friggen thing. We had a kid hit a car and die on a banshee and another clock a tree and die. They are far to fast for someone of his size to control if he makes a mistake.

Anyone ever make a mistake?? and crash?? I have, especially on 2 strokes :lol:

He needs to be on something a bit tamer IMHO..........

Dammit!
10-16-2010, 12:45 PM
The touching the ground rule was obviously for trikes. Not dirtbikes. :rolleyes:

Anyone ever make a mistake?? and crash?? I have, especially on 2 strokes :lol:

I guess me, you and just a couple other people in here are the only ones that ever crash. :lol:

bigboy_toy85
10-16-2010, 12:48 PM
The touching the ground rule was obviously for trikes. Not dirtbikes. :rolleyes:

I guess me, you and just a couple other people in here are the only ones that ever crash. :lol:

shoot.. i cant touch the ground on my trike (easily) and i believe everyones crashed, i know i have.. but thats part of the learning experience.. youve got to make mistakes to learn from them

Xpress
10-16-2010, 12:52 PM
I feel that if they start them out right (I.E. small, like a 50 quad or something) then they should be able to move on up when they feel like they're ready to. That kid sure looked like he knew how to handle that Banshee, indicating he has had prior experience, especially with the clutch. I know guys well over twice my age that still can't grasp the concept of a clutch.

I know a couple of guys out in the desert that were letting their 5-6 year olds on a 50, but they removed the shift lever so they couldn't get out of first. Start slow, then work your way up.

Dammit!
10-16-2010, 12:59 PM
and i believe everyones crashed, i know i have.. but thats part of the learning experience.. youve got to make mistakes to learn from them

That's kinda the point that a few of us are trying to make. Crashes will and do happen. It's not a matter of if, but when. I'd rather see a kid wipeout on a machine that's not real likely to completely crush him. That's all.

Speaking specifically of just trikes here. We've all been in situations where we've high sided at a low rate of speed and simply stuck a foot out and prevented a roll over over or just taken a step and let the trike roll over by itself without going down with it. A small kid can't even do that if the machine is physically too large. He's going down with the ship no matter what he does (unless he's an expert and the jump, tuck and roll already). That's where the touching the ground rule came from when my friends and I were learning and riding different machines. I don't remember who came up with it but it's stuck with me through the years.

I've ridden bikes WAY too big and powerful for me when I was a kid too but they were usually dirtbikes. My parents would have had a heart attack if they ever saw me rip across a field on a CR480 wide open at 12 years old but I did it because they weren't around to stop me. :lol:

RIDE-RED 250r
10-16-2010, 08:17 PM
I am 5' 3" and 125#. So I, at 40 years old, shouldn't ride a banshee? Or should I be 8' tall and 300# to ride a 700 Prairie? I could not touch flatfooted on a 125cr. That rule is truly stupid, I have rode a 2,400# buckin' bull. And there is the 'what if' question again. The gov't hoping to instill fear in you on 'what if's' or 'could happen'. That is for the weak minded and pisses me off,- here, let me sell you some health insurance for $3000 bucks a month, sure you can't afford to eat, but I'll get rich and 'what if' you get AIDS from a toilet seat?, 'what if' you get cancer?, 'what if' you get a life threatening scratch on your finger? Come on! That youg rider was being taught and trained. That was not any more dangerous than him waiting for the bus (more kids are kidnapped waiting for the bus than killed on atv's). And as for the ignorance the public and cpsc, they don't even take a second look at 3-wheelers, they are after other political objectives at this time. That kid riding has no effect on atving. When someone is going to make a political move we all know they will just lie about the safty issues, real Americans do not believe the cpsc or gov't if they have any sense anyway. The next ban will be for political reasons, whoever pays the politican to close more public land or something to that effect. Save the stupid wolves or a noxious weed in the desert that the farmers here would spray and kill. Don't let the gov't (cpsc) infect the minds of 3-wheeler owners with lies and 'what if's' or 'maybe's'. I don't speak up much, but hate the fact that members would actually back the lies and farse statements of the cpsc.

I dont think any of us who are in the "i wouldnt do it" bunch are advocating involvment by the CPSC. Just saying that all to often situations like this can result in easy fodder for the haters which has the potential to spark another witch-hunt. My position is that I myself wouldnt do it with my kids, but that its ultimately up to the parents, as it should be. Im not saying my boy will be stuck on his ATC110 till hes 16 years old, but one thing is for sure, he wont be hopping on my R at 10 either. We will just take it a day at a time based on his size, strength and skill level. There is a difference between disagreeing with someones actions, and trying to get the govt to put a stop to or ban that other persons actions. Its like snowmobiling around here in the Tughill area of NY. Every time some drunk idiot or snocross wannabe wads himself into a tree and kills himself, the news media makes a big deal about it almost to the point of implying the MAJORITY of sledders engage in these careless acts regardless of the fact that we sledders as a whole group are MUCH safer each year than automobile drivers.