PDA

View Full Version : Sportsman 90

350Xccelerator
09-20-2003, 02:54 PM
has anyone ever ridden or seen one of these up close? i dont like the big sportsmans, but i do like this little one. even though the lights are probably fake lol.

http://ebay0.ipixmedia.com/abc/M28/_EBAY_14ec3b8f4f96bfce7a1bea6715290f5d/i-1.JPG

http://ebay0.ipixmedia.com/abc/M28/_EBAY_14ec3b8f4f96bfce7a1bea6715290f5d/i-2.JPG

Manny55
09-20-2003, 03:44 PM
yes i rode one of those my little cuzens have one and I fell off of it lol I was riding it I was turning a blind corner and here there is this big tree going across the rode i swirve out of the way but then the steering is wierd on those things then when i was swirving out of the way the backend clipped the huge branch in the rode and i fell off lol. It's great.

Manny

TimSr
09-20-2003, 11:13 PM
These are made in Taiwan for Polaris, and are also sold as E-Ton, Alpha, Sundiro, T-rex, DRR just to name a few, with different plastics, and some variations in the exhaust. These things are extremely durable, and there are enough mods for them now to make them almost run with stock Blasters on an MX track. Stock exhausts choke them off horribly, but it doesnt take much to wake them up. The downside is they have no foot pedal rear brake, but the newer ones have addressed that with hand lever operated hydrualic disk for the rear. They are a two stroke, variable V-belt tranny.

SpeedBump
09-20-2003, 11:23 PM
This is my son's Scrambler 50. The original tires are WAY to small for anything other than yard/driveway riding. I put on some new Duro AllTrac Radials, and huge difference. Got about 10mph more and still plenty of power. The pic of me riding the wheelie is with the stockers.

SpeedBump
09-20-2003, 11:31 PM
These are the same size as a 90cc uses. If you are going to buy one of these, The Predator 90 would be my choice. They improved lots of stuff, but the most important stuff they fixed is the suspension. It has much better shocks now, 4" of travel and the front a-arms are now 3/4" wider and set 1" forward. The articles I have read say it dramatically improves the handling. Anyway, mine has been a good machine. I only had one problem with it so far, the clutch/starter hub got packed with belt dust, and wouldn't engage. I pulled it apart, shot it with some carb cleaner, blew it out with the airhose, bolted it all back and been fine ever since.

Manny55
09-21-2003, 12:08 AM
These are made in Taiwan for Polaris, and are also sold as E-Ton, Alpha, Sundiro, T-rex, DRR just to name a few, with different plastics, and some variations in the exhaust. These things are extremely durable, and there are enough mods for them now to make them almost run with stock Blasters on an MX track. Stock exhausts choke them off horribly, but it doesnt take much to wake them up. The downside is they have no foot pedal rear brake, but the newer ones have addressed that with hand lever operated hydrualic disk for the rear. They are a two stroke, variable V-belt tranny.

It would take a lot of mods for it to keep up with a blaster i was riding on a 90 polaris and it was so freaking slow lol.

smokinwrench
09-21-2003, 01:34 AM

It would take a lot of mods for it to keep up with a blaster i was riding on a 90 polaris and it was so freaking slow lol.

This comment from the kid who fell off the 90cc. I will take Tims word as the gospel.

Josh

ATC crazy
09-21-2003, 11:18 AM
Hydrallic disk brakes on a 90cc mini and mechanical drums on a 600lb 4x4....

What is ATVing comming to these days :x

bigred110
09-21-2003, 12:44 PM

Most 90cc and smaller quads are made in japan now. From the same manufacture. Polaris and other man. well do some treaking to them before they sell them.

TimSr
09-21-2003, 07:29 PM
[quote="ATC crazy"]Most 90cc and smaller quads are made in japan now. From the same manufacture. Polaris and other man. well do some treaking to them before they sell them.

These are made in Taiwan, not Japan.

ATC crazy
09-21-2003, 08:27 PM

Most 90cc and smaller quads are made in japan now. From the same manufacture. Polaris and other man. well do some treaking to them before they sell them.

And this has to do with brakes how?

TimSr
09-21-2003, 08:53 PM
If you cannot easily lock up mechanical drum rear brakes with the foot pedal, there is something wrong with them. Quit whining and fix them!

The REASON they put hydraulic rears on these minis, was that there is NO foot pedal, and small children do not have the strength to pull hand operated mechanical brakes. They chose to go with a hand operated hydraulic rather than redeisgn teh chassis to accomodate a foot pedal.

ATC crazy
09-21-2003, 09:05 PM
If you cannot easily lock up mechanical drum rear brakes with the foot pedal, there is something wrong with them. Quit whining and fix them!

Well, the shoes are still 70%, everything inside is in place, the drum is in good condition, and I'm pretty sure the cable is good....

So if you have any ideas about "fixing" them, I'm all ears...

TimSr
09-22-2003, 01:06 PM
Remove the shoes, and sand the glaze off of them, sand the inside of the drum braking surface, until its clean, grind the lip off the edge of the drum if it has formed one, (dremel works great), remove the pivot shaft, clean it, and the hole where it goes through the hub well, and regrease and reinstall it. Remove the cable. It should move very easily and freely by hand, without resistance. If it does not, replace it. Sometimes you can funnel WD40 through it, and get it to loosen up, sometimes you cant. When everything is clean, and moves freely, all moving parts should be lubricated. Parts, such as springs can be greased to keep them from rotting. For really stubborn shoes, here is another trick. Take your nice clean shoes that youve just sanded, and put a tiny amount of grease on them, and work it in. Just a tiny dab! It should be just a enough to make it moist, and tacky. This has the same effect as licking your fingers to shuffle through papers. Also when you reassemble, make sure the splined arm that fits on the shaft that opens the brakes is in the right position on the shaft. When your brakes are setup and adjusted correctly, you want as much remaining adjustement as possible on the nut. If you have to tighten the cable/rod nut all the way to get any braking, you need to rotate the arm one notch on the splined shaft.

If this doesnt work, you may not have 70% of your shoes, or they may be of some aftermarket type. Softer shoes grab better, but harder ones last longer. I prefer OEM shoes for drum brakes.

Again I will assert that if you have a foot pedal operated mechanical rear drum brake, and cannot easily lock up the rear wheels, something needs attention. The leveerage on a foot pedal will easily do the job, which is why you rarely (if ever) see hydraulic rear drum brakes on anything.

ATC crazy
09-22-2003, 05:45 PM
Thanks Jim. I have done most of the things already except for checking the cable, and piviot shaft. They just started to stick on me a little this past weekend so I'm going to go out right now and tear them apart yet again.

I hope High Lifter gets those rear brake kits out soon....

smokinwrench
09-22-2003, 09:31 PM
I got my kid a 1987 Suzuki LT80 form just looking and comparing it seems better built than these new quads. It has a complete suspension and foot operated rear brakes.

The worse part of a Trizinger is the only hand operated rear brakes. I watch my kid pull on them and it takes alot of strength to pull them.

Josh