PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a good hatchet/tomahawk for a B.O.B

Mr_RPM
10-16-2010, 11:44 PM
So I am planning on building a Bug Out Bag (emergency "shtf" bag) to have around the house or in the car. anyway I am looking at Hatchets and tomahawks and just can't decide which one to get.

I have been looking at http://www.coldsteel.com/trench-hawk.html
yes they call it a weapon but i like it for its synthetic handle (wood gets loose faster and also snaps easier) and would be using it for small tasks out on the trails for clearing small sticks so my moto 4 doesn't get mad. but I also like the ability to be a good weapon in a SHTF situation and its had nothing but good reviews. i wont be splitting anything big with it and it wont really be a hard work axe and its a great price, and it has a cool factor. I'm a bit of a mall ninja haha

also looking at http://www2.fiskars.com/Products/Yard-and-Garden/Axes-and-Striking/Hatchet-14-inch
bit more practical, a bit shorter in length and less scary when your walking around the yard and the old lady next door is watching haha. I dont like the bright orange for those "tactical" moments i will probably never come across but its nothing some camo tape wont fix (will also make the cold steel look less scary with hunters camo wrap) and it doesn't have the mall ninja spike on the back hahaha.

either way I wont be doing any major work with it realistically, just some trail clearing for those trees too stubborn to completely fatten out with the foreman, also as a camping tool for light duty work and hunting. Usage as a weapon is only a coolness factor and part of "shtf" scenario.

oh and, anyone else into making survival kits and thing of that nature? lol I can't be the only crazy one on 3ww can i? haha

so anyone have a hatchet/tomahawk they would recommend?
how about between the two?

3wheelsinPA
10-17-2010, 12:09 AM
Between the two, get the hatchet. Unless you've actually trained in hand to hand, a long pointy stick will effectively cancel any combat advantage of the tomahawk and you'll be less likely to stab yourself.

harryredtrike
10-17-2010, 12:52 AM
bug out bags are great and should be in every home and vehicle you have.personally i'd get the hatchet,less risk of injuring yourself,in a shtf senario you cant make trips to the ER for medical attention.

Billy Golightly
10-17-2010, 08:14 AM
I have a few of the fiskars hatchets. They are extremely nice. Well balanced, and sharp as trailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro!

Mr_RPM
10-17-2010, 11:58 AM
thanks guys, yeah im going to have to agree on the hatchet, even in a shtf scenario its going to play as a tool more than anything. Guns are for weapons, not axes. (till ammo runs out anyway)
The fiskars seems to be less of a novelty item and something that will last a long time. Im probably going to get the 17 inch, the 14 inch is just a tad on the small side for any big chopping that might need to be done.

so what do you guys like to have in your Bug Out Bag?

coolpool
10-17-2010, 12:46 PM
I have a few of the fiskars hatchets. They are extremely nice. Well balanced, and sharp as trailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro!

x 2, extremely sharp and bulletproof.

dksix
10-17-2010, 12:47 PM
Columbia makes a hatchet that has a knife built into the handle. I don't have a link but we make the clamshells that they are packaged in. I can get a pic of it Monday at work if you would like to see it. I can't say what quality the steel is but it feels like a good sturdy piece and the knife is about 8" that would be good for several purposes.

bigbadktm
10-17-2010, 10:54 PM
sounds like somebody is getting ready for the zombie invasion, for that reason I have a large bowie knife and a mossberg 12ga...lol beware the zombies!!

Name Brand
10-18-2010, 03:09 AM
Gerber makes some nice hatchets in varying lengths. I like the foot and half long version with a (8'' I think...) saw in the handle. I have one in my 'avalanche/repair/recovery' bag that I take snowmachining and another one in my 'survival ruck' that I take with me when crewing on UH-60L's.
I bought two of them so I don't have to keep swapping items between my kits.

Jerm1179
10-18-2010, 08:33 AM
http://www.estwing.com/category.php?category_id=2 and i love my ka-bar a bit overkill...but badass and will last forever. i got the stainless so it doesnt rust with my camping stuff but not really needed...https://www.kabar.com/product/productDetail.do?productNumber=1221&mode=category&categoryId=1,2,3,7,9&categoryName=Military/Tactical

Maico
10-19-2010, 02:36 AM
Eastwing and be done with it.

xdtac
10-19-2010, 07:42 PM
your not the only one im continously changing up my BOB. i reccomend the SOG tomahock its tough and sharp

jeffatc250r
10-19-2010, 09:56 PM
I use axes to drive wedges when at work logging. I bought one of those fiskars axe and gotta say its the real deal, i even ran it over with the skidder once and it took it with a smile like a cheap hooker.
Before the fiskars i literally went through an axe every cpl months.