PDA

View Full Version : We lost a local kid on a bmx bike. No helmet. Wny is this story always the same?

tri again
10-18-2010, 03:37 PM
Qualified for Nationals, nicest kid in the world.

Great triker, good helper. Always wore a helmet. 15y/o.

Unloaded the bmx bike in Albany for a meet, did a couple spins in the parking lot.

POOOOOF!

Just that fast.

How many people have eaten it simply by 'clearing the carb',
or once (more) around before loading out?

I just talked to him about working some firewood with us too since he was saving for a new bike.

rdlsz24
10-18-2010, 03:44 PM
Wow sorry to hear. This was on a bmx bike, like one that you pedal??

Rob

tri again
10-18-2010, 04:52 PM
Wow sorry to hear. This was on a bmx bike, like one that you pedal??

Rob

yup, one of those small bmx bicycles with pedalpower only.

Must've hit the ground perfectly wrong, and no speed at all.

They say he was balancing on the rear wheel.

MonroeMike
10-18-2010, 04:56 PM
Sorry to hear you lost a friend.

Lord Letto 20
10-18-2010, 05:27 PM
sorry to hear about the loss, shows how important it is to wear a helmet, and even that a vehicle that don't even have a engine can kill.

newrider3
10-18-2010, 07:29 PM
Sucks to hear. Too easy to lose it doing something as simple as a manual on a bicycle, I shattered an ankle doing the same thing.

portland250r
10-18-2010, 07:43 PM
i almost died from the same thing but i was going fast trying to clear a curb, hit my face and had severe head injuries and a concussion.

Dirtcrasher
10-18-2010, 07:56 PM
You can go a looooong time cheating injuries; Then BANG, it happens.

If anyone's ever cut themselves with a utility knife, you'll understand how delicate we all really are.

Just flesh/bones and lots of arteries that can bleed you out fast.

A head injury can happen on the ice, some of us know how to fall but can still be caught off guard.

Sorry to hear about your friend, RIP!!

aldochina
10-18-2010, 07:58 PM
i just read an article about a 33 year old PRO rider that is in critical condition after a bmx fall!! It does not take speed or force to kill!! Just the right circumstances!! You just never know.

hang&rattle
10-18-2010, 08:29 PM
drjoe171- Actually glad you posted this up. Hit me pretty hard. My son has weekly bruises and road rash from his bmx bike and never wears a helmet. When he and his friend decide to jump off the loading dock and go 'muddin' I'm gonna make them wear their helmets now. Onnie is safe on a trike but has too many close calls now with the bmx bike, thanks for opening my eyes.- Robby.----Just as I was typing this Onnie called, wrecked bad on his bmx, I told he and his buddy helmets from now on.

Xavier Lange
10-18-2010, 09:20 PM
see u can get killed on bikes so why dose the CPSC want to Banned ATC oo right there dangeris well look wat just happend a freind of yours got hurt on a bike that u pedule and if im reading this right he died from it to. See the CPSC is mast up big time ITS NOT THE MACHINE ITS THE DRIVER!!!!! Im not yelling at u Im just trying to bring some points out.

SORRY TO HERE THAT THONG!

portland250r
10-18-2010, 10:52 PM
this is a place i hit up every once in a while.
i dont have any videos of me on my bike.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ld1FsIBQIBo

factoryX
10-18-2010, 11:06 PM
I've always wanted to hit that place up. Sorry for your loss.

tri again
10-18-2010, 11:14 PM
I simply can't stop crying for the family.

One dead friend can ruin your whole day

Be harsh and unrelenting with your rules.

"if it was a game I could play it"

Who wrote that lyric?

Hint: Buffalo Springfield.

What could I possible say to the neighbor family?

"Do you need anything' ?

faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaak!

bigbadktm
10-18-2010, 11:40 PM
wow that sucks, my son is 7 and crashed his bike over a brick and scratched his face up pretty good, you can still see the scar but at least that was all that happened. sorry to hear about your friend

portland250r
10-19-2010, 01:18 AM
that sucks, its never good to see someone go at that young of an age.

bikes can be deadlier than motorcycles, they are when theres no helmet.
i have broken a helmet from riding bmx.

factoryX
10-19-2010, 02:56 AM
bmx biking can be dangerous yes, but it is also fun. As for helmets, nobody ever wears them, unless they have to to ride certain parks. I had a ton of fun riding but its destroys your body. My joints still don't feel right and I have stopped now for 8 months.

portland250r
10-19-2010, 07:10 PM
if i stop i have to re learn a lot of tricks i just got down flat 360's and some other crazy things it may sound impossible but after a good 2 years of practice you will be doing things you never thought you could do.
riding backwards down a ramp is really dangerouse i have had a cuncussion from landing too far back where the front dumps you.