PDA

View Full Version : The start of my sawdust thrower

jeffatc250r
10-21-2010, 01:56 PM
Ironbnder wanted me to throw up pics of what im up to as far as scrounging up random parts for a saw.
Here is how it sits at the moment.
Hondaluver is hooking me up with a recoil cage that i am going to mount to my flywheel, once i get that figured out then i can make the adapter plate to mount a 70 recoil on the side like how i have it mocked up.
This is going to be direct drive off the crank. The splined gear that mounts on the clutch side of the crank will have a custom 14 pin drive sprocket welded to it moving .404 chain.
I need to get the sprocket in its final place before i can make a plate that will attach to the r-s that will hold the bar and chain.
The pipe is more or less done, later on i gotta make another mounting tab up front after i figure out what i have for clearance from the bar and chain.
Cooling system is going to be a closed loop system with possibly a small holding tank like half the size of a beer can im thinking. Fuel will be gravity fed from somewhere above the head. Going to use a plain old thumb throttle from a 250r.
The cases were basically junk in the tranny area so i didnt feel bad about hacking them up. For any of you that cant tell what it is, its a 250r engine.
Not sure how bad the vibes will be, but i will have the option of running the counterbalancer if needed which is nice to know.
http://i1021.photobucket.com/albums/af333/skunkhunter/DSC01214.jpg;';

http://i1021.photobucket.com/albums/af333/skunkhunter/DSC01215.jpg;';

http://i1021.photobucket.com/albums/af333/skunkhunter/DSC01216.jpg

4cylinders
10-21-2010, 02:01 PM
hey, you need an old mac or poulan frame to bolt it to.

coolpool
10-21-2010, 02:02 PM
Looking forward to seeing it on the next lumberjack challenge. Those saws they use are nasty and I don't doubt this will be too.

thestud25
10-21-2010, 02:28 PM
Well that thing looks like it will saw a leg clean off in about 1.7 seconds!!! I hope that is not the case! Cool build.

fabiodriven
10-21-2010, 03:10 PM
That is totally bad-ass Jeff.

Ironbnder
10-21-2010, 07:49 PM
That rocks! Glad to see a dead R reserected. I love to see mismatched parts graffted to make something cool. My only question is I thought expantion chambers were a fine science. Is chopping it up like that not going to kill its effectiveness? Please keep updating and maybe finish with a video for some sound and smoke.

Bryan Raffa
10-21-2010, 08:29 PM
Dude ,, I want a tri z one!!!!!!!!

YAMAHONDAMAN

Bryan Raffa
10-21-2010, 08:40 PM
That rocks! Glad to see a dead R reserected. I love to see mismatched parts graffted to make something cool. My only question is I thought expantion chambers were a fine science. Is chopping it up like that not going to kill its effectiveness? Please keep updating and maybe finish with a video for some sound and smoke.

I couldnt Imagine shiftin into 5th cuttin a log LMAO!:Bounce

what about a side starter like the hillclimb bikes have ,, have someone start it wile you hold onto it! LOL

4cylinders
10-21-2010, 10:06 PM
hey, early briggs had kick/step starters. don't weld on the crankshaft, get a bolt on spline adapter.

jeffatc250r
10-22-2010, 01:17 PM
Im not welding on the crank at all, the sprocket is gonna be welded to the splined gear that is sliding onto the splined crank, get it?
As far as the pipe, who knows, trial and error type of thing.