PDA

View Full Version : First Real Snow of the Year

coolpool
10-24-2010, 07:54 PM
Well we have been dreading this for awhile now and it finally came; that friggin white stuff has covered the ground. Of course I had to cement in fence posts this morning:( My garage pad will definitely not be going in this year! Anyone else get snow yet?

Mr_RPM
10-24-2010, 08:58 PM
wow already? here in southern michigan we normally have 1 more month before anything serious accumulates and sticks to the ground without melting on contact with dirt

Thorpe
10-24-2010, 09:10 PM
Ooh... Makes me want to go drag the BR plow out!

portland250r
10-24-2010, 09:41 PM
you guys must hate snow! cmon enjoy it. i take my 200x out all the time when it snows.

TheRealFatShady
10-24-2010, 10:00 PM
Oddly enough, one day this week it snowed for like 25 minutes, didn't stick. Was unusual, but it looked like snow.

Hate snow as I do snow plowing/removal, but EVERY storm my brother breaks a truck and/or EVERY snowblower he has, and comes and takes mine. I have a full neighborhood to do, with no blower. Sucks.

But on a better note, I ride around the city when it's too hard to drive with cars. Getting gas for snowblowers, or just to have fun.

Xpress
10-24-2010, 10:40 PM
I would LOVE to ride in the snow, don't see why you guys dread it so much. I can see if it were like 2 feet or something, otherwise it seems like it's fun :)

Mr_RPM
10-24-2010, 11:29 PM
riding is just a small part of your time during winter. getting up at 6am for school or work when its 0-20 degrees F is no fun. driving with people on the roads who either think everything is icy and are going 15 in a 55. or people who think nothing is icy and rear end your car because they couldn't stop in time. After your day of work you find that it snowed all day and have to drive home before the plows got out. struggling to not get stuck every stop you make finally gets you home. just to get stuck on the up hill to your driveway.(dont buy pontiac vibes, worse car ever in snow) then you gotta get the snow shovel out and shovel your way up so you can park your car (this will be our first year with a plow). your toes are nearly frozen once your inside.
the cost to keep your house warm is a pain or is alot of hard work (if your a wood burner guy). the salt put on the roads ruins EVERYTHING.
going down to the barn to work on stuff is impossible because everything is soo cold.
between all of this exhaustion (so much more to explain out) you get to ride....if your not already to sore. lol

I love snow....for about 3 weeks. then it gets boring and is a PITA

D-dub
10-24-2010, 11:48 PM
Dude, we just got a big dump today and I think its going to stay. At least 6''... I better get those Blizzaks mounted up!

Xpress
10-25-2010, 12:16 AM
riding is just a small part of your time during winter. getting up at 6am for school or work when its 0-20 degrees F is no fun. driving with people on the roads who either think everything is icy and are going 15 in a 55. or people who think nothing is icy and rear end your car because they couldn't stop in time. After your day of work you find that it snowed all day and have to drive home before the plows got out. struggling to not get stuck every stop you make finally gets you home. just to get stuck on the up hill to your driveway.(dont buy pontiac vibes, worse car ever in snow) then you gotta get the snow shovel out and shovel your way up so you can park your car (this will be our first year with a plow). your toes are nearly frozen once your inside.
the cost to keep your house warm is a pain or is alot of hard work (if your a wood burner guy). the salt put on the roads ruins EVERYTHING.
going down to the barn to work on stuff is impossible because everything is soo cold.
between all of this exhaustion (so much more to explain out) you get to ride....if your not already to sore. lol

I love snow....for about 3 weeks. then it gets boring and is a PITA

Sounds like a perfect place to live for someone who is easily bored around their house. I get bored around here all the time ,and I've already chopped up all of the wood I have lol.

You would have figured with all of this 21st century knowledge that we would have invented a better and just as cheap substance that wouldn't trailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro up our cars like salt does.

tri again
10-25-2010, 04:52 AM
as an ex noreaster, waay back in the 70's we figured that at 10$ an hour, it took 30-40 hrs a month just to deal with the weather.

say $300 a month just to keep the pipes from freeZing,
digging out, jumpstarting friends etc etc, chainsaws, woodstove feeding and cleaning, stacking wood blablablaaaaa, ice storms, trees down

BEAUtiful snow for a day or 2 and then it would rain and go below zero for 2 weeks so couldn't ski or skate unless it was flat on yer --- in a parking lot.

West coast weather is altitude dependent.

Sunny and warm / sunbathing by the lodge and the altitude so low that there's no more snow..so you get on the lift, gain some altitude and have 20 or 30 feet of snow on the ground.

Very bizarre.

Ski down, lose altitude until there's no more snow and do it again..or head to the beach and go surfing.

just kidding, I just made that all up.

I got out of new england years ago and I'm STILL cccold.

Nah, just look at pix of Tahoe ski areas,

they're sunbathing at the base lodge with absurd amounts of snow at the top.

It's nice t have snow as an OPtion

hang&rattle
10-25-2010, 06:03 AM
Yup. 32" of snow in the driveway means no more plow. A buddy has to come in with a bobcat or front end loader. Keeping a vehicle running is very difficult. Deep snow. Blows out clutches and rearends in pickups. Car must be front wheel drive and no living in the mountains if you have one. At -30F sensors and relays fail, electrical systems work poorly on cars. And blowing snow is blinding, sometimes can only see 20' in front of ya. Expensive to live like that. Got -40F for 4 days strait and below zero for 3 weeks. Have to start your pickup at lunch or it'll leave you stranded at work. On a good note, the cold is refreshing, it feels good, gives you energy. And when everything is covered, it looks so clean, new. I'm gonna try to move to Oregon. Too old for the snow. Now you got me dreading it coolpool.

JayBone
10-25-2010, 08:53 AM
i hate snow when it come to having to go to work in it, driving a car with other people who can't drive in it or the cost of heating the house. MR_RPM said it all.

Snowblowing i don't mind cause i don't have to rush cause this means i am home.

Riding in it on the 200x or the quad i had with a plow was sweet.

coolpool
10-25-2010, 11:33 AM
One issue we have up here is that the snow we have today will still be here until early May. I do enjoy the freedom of endless riding on the frozen lakes and muskeg. Here's a pic of the mudhole that is supposed to be my garage pad:( And to think people were laughing at me for putting up the x-mas lights and switching to winter tires on the van three days ago when it was 10 degrees C. Who's laughing now:twisted: Me and the boy fight over the tracked Honda snowblower. That thing is sweet!

njrextreme
10-25-2010, 12:51 PM
Its in the mid 70's here in s chicago land Il. It has been getting down in the 40's at night. Im loving this Indian summer. Soon will be the rain,freezing rain, little snow, more rain, and maybe get lucky w/ a a couple feet just to have it blow around and become useless for snowmobiling. I do love the snow but it is a PITA now and then.

Thorpe
10-25-2010, 07:01 PM
Its in the mid 70's here in s chicago land Il. It has been getting down in the 40's at night. Im loving this Indian summer. Soon will be the rain,freezing rain, little snow, more rain, and maybe get lucky w/ a a couple feet just to have it blow around and become useless for snowmobiling. I do love the snow but it is a PITA now and then.

I would imagine it should rain for you tomorrow... We have it here in MN today....

yj350
10-26-2010, 11:11 PM
I am ready for it. I love hunting in the stuff. I also picked up a beat up subaru last spring for winter driving this year since the corvette gets parked and it is sketchy driving my jeep with the spools installed in the snow I did it last winter and said not again.

RIDE-RED 250r
10-27-2010, 07:54 PM
for me, snow just means its time to put the boats and wheelers away and get the sleds out!!! love to hear my triple 809 scream! :cool:

1grindking
11-01-2010, 11:51 PM
love the snow icw till its here to stay... i drive a 4x4 truck im from mn. i knew it was gona snow sooner or later so i prepaired also i have a nice coat, hat, gloves & insulated boots i thought it might get cold lol
:Bounce:crazy::Bounce:crazy: