PDA

View Full Version : The Tigers of Today.....

Eric250R
10-24-2010, 11:08 PM
If this question has been posed before then I apologize..... Been wondering this for the last few days. What do you think will be the highly sought after collectibles from today ? Cannondales ? Highlands ? Gas-Gas ? And then you have alot of small companies making one off race frames to stuff practically anything in. Then there's also this question: Will anything from today be as sought after as the 3 wheelers ? With the stigma they carry, and the fact that some people are still scared of them to this day, will any 4 wheeler ever be as sought out as say a Tiger, Cagiva, or even a Franks ? If they do, my money would be on the Highlands just because of the struggle of making the company work..... What are your thoughts ?

portland250r
10-25-2010, 04:19 AM
theres a crap load of atvs on the market they have been in production 3 times longer than trikes and i think the old school trikes will always be the lost gem of the atv community, the reason i say old school is cause there is a chance that trikes might be made again by honda its not a fact and theres no saying it will never happen cause we have a thread "a letter from honda" and they said trikes may hit the factory again. i hope the members on here keep their tigers and other rare trikes for future generations. quads are most likely never going to be banned like the trikes were. the only quads i can see being rare after a while are the old 2 strokes like the trx or quad zilla's.
the way i look at it is keep dragging those trikes into your garage because they only get more rare, those rare trikes like tigers and cagivas can show up in your garage you just half to keep an eye out and have the money to back it up.

those trike haters need to stop pointing fingers and stop believing what the corrupt government has to say about these machines, they need to see that it was not the trikes fault that people were idiots and didnt give a rats ass about their own safety, they refuse to see that people have been killed on quads, the reason trikes are given a bad name is cause of the idiots who abused drugs and put their kids on trikes that they couldnt control the death reports say it all.

factoryX
10-25-2010, 04:56 AM
I look at trikes as a dying breed. With the price for parts increasing people are going to end up moving onto quads or bikes. The atv market to me also seems to be dying, it looks like people are more into x games jumps on motorcross tracks than the actual racing, and this has really hurt the atv industry. As for rare companies of today? Idk. Companies from the 80's are just now making the jump back into the market, so who is to say whats going to be rare and whats not? This can go into a variety of directions.

SYKO
10-25-2010, 05:06 PM
wth is a highland?

i dont think any quad after 2000 will be collectable

save it mainly for the older quads I/E TRX250R, QUADZILLAs, and Shees

thestud25
10-25-2010, 05:38 PM
theres a crap load of atvs on the market they have been in production 3 times longer than trikes ....

Trikes were in production just as long as quads.

Eric: What is a Highland?

jays375
10-25-2010, 06:14 PM
Just read a article in Dirt Wheels on Highland.It is sorta of a Cannondale.Actually are using surplus Canondale frames and other parts right now.They are using there own engines of there own design.Doesn't sound like they are going to do alot at the moment yet still in RD.The company had some major problems when top guys where killed in a plane crash.

Eric250R
10-25-2010, 11:27 PM
Just read a article in Dirt Wheels on Highland.It is sorta of a Cannondale.Actually are using surplus Canondale frames and other parts right now.They are using there own engines of there own design.Doesn't sound like they are going to do alot at the moment yet still in RD.The company had some major problems when top guys where killed in a plane crash.

I think that may be the factor in the Highlands being collectible. The tragedy that comes with the story. Just a quick fill in for those who don't know. Highlands is a new/old company that has risen from the ashes of Husqvarna ( even though the name is still around, they were bought out by Cagiva and alot of the top guys formed another company ), Husaberg, Cannondale, and ATK. They are a very high-end high tech race machine.

portland250r
10-26-2010, 12:07 AM
wth is a highland?

i dont think any quad after 2000 will be collectable

save it mainly for the older quads I/E TRX250R, QUADZILLAs, and Shees

banshees are still made just not in the usa. i dont think banshees will ever end up like the trikes maybe the older ones, there has to be more banshee's than any other make atv.

Trikes were in production just as long as quads.

if you include the smaller trikes i forgot to mention sport trikes only cause there was only 7 years of mass produced sport trikes and there have been around 25 years of sport quads.

the us90's and atc's from 80 back to the 60's i think are extremely collectable.

if you think im making up stories about the banshee's still in production here's proof. the 2 stroke laws screwed it all up for us.

http://www.yamaha-motor.eu/eu/products/atv/leisure/yfz350.aspx

petesatc
10-26-2010, 05:02 AM
I think that may be the factor in the Highlands being collectible. The tragedy that comes with the story. Just a quick fill in for those who don't know. Highlands is a new/old company that has risen from the ashes of Husqvarna ( even though the name is still around, they were bought out by Cagiva and alot of the top guys formed another company ), Husaberg, Cannondale, and ATK. They are a very high-end high tech race machine.
Not sure highland ever made a quad forsale??? and not sure they ever will, with the death of all 3 founding members, killed in a plane crash earlier this year...very sad look like a very nice race quad......

oldskool83
10-26-2010, 09:08 AM
looks like left over canondale junk with 250r plastics...

devilman
10-26-2010, 09:44 AM
i dont know anything about quads, is this a good deal then? i didn't know if these were cheap knockoffs or what.

http://eastnc.craigslist.org/rvs/1992537287.html

oldskool83
10-26-2010, 10:16 AM
cannondales are good, atk bought them out and make the 450 motors now. i was told the motors like to not stay together because of the frame design. bottom of motor is the frame.......kinda like a sportbike.

besides that i think they look cool.

atctim
10-26-2010, 10:31 AM
looks like left over canondale junk with 250r plastics...

Read up on the highland powerplant and think about what you just said:

http://www.ushighland.com/ourbikes.php

Eric - at this point here in the USA anyway - the collectible quads are the 2 strokes. As technology moves along - the best of the best 4 strokes will be the next collectible ATVs once electric quads take over.

skippy
10-30-2010, 06:03 PM
buy up all the vintage R racers you can. the more aftermarket the better!! roll, laeger, lonestar.. thats where the money will be.. im stock piling racers.. everythg old school aftermarket. quad that use to cost 20k and up to build, are selling for 5k-7k.. thats where you should invest your money!! just dont buy from NE US!(thats my area). lol

jason85atc250r
10-31-2010, 08:01 PM
Skippy you beat me to it thats what i was going to say. The after market framed honda quads will bring the coin. LIke my trx250r frame is the very 1st one from Porter Race Products out of NY. It;s his prototype all the rest don't look like it he changed stuff after testing.

Leager even made a couple aftermarket LT250r and banshee frames also. very rare. They made the frame tilt up in the front to handle good like a honda.

The JP 80 outlaws should be a good one also. They were a shrunk down 250r chassis with 250x plastic with a 80cc dirt bike motor in.