PDA

View Full Version : 200x motor swap

853x
10-24-2010, 11:15 PM
I really want a 250r, I have a clean 200x. what's the difference in suspension between a
200x, a 350x, and a 250r? I was thinking about swapping a bigger motor in to the 200x bike. I know it would be cheaper to sell the 200x and buy a 250r or 350x, but I like building stuff and I am considering swapping in a bigger motor if the 200x suspension is close to the same caliber as it's bigger brothers. I am a fabricator and certified welder so that area would be no problem for me. I got the 200x from the original owner, this bike has been takin out less than 5 times in it's life... it was caught on fire in a trailer so all of the plastics are not original so it's not like it's a original bike worth money or anything. I have never really been up close to a 250 or 350 so I don't know how the suspension compares. I have seen some xr 500 and 650 motors on ebay for reasonable prices, I just wonder about the kick starter on them. any thoughts? or anyone have a bigger bike they would like to trade straight up or with cash? I really like the 200x, it's just a little gutless for my liking

Bretmd94
10-28-2010, 03:25 PM
200x is pretty flimsy for a big motor swap. I know some have done a xr230 swap (i think that is right).

I always wanted a new crf250 motor in one myself.

Again you looking at cost issues though. I have seen 250r's on craigs list for cheaper than a crf motor will cost you.

As for an xr650, most dirt bike motors will require you to remove the fenders in order to start them in a 3 wheeler. And though a 650 swap is badass and has been done (even back in 85) All that weight will be like wrestling a silver back gorilla. That 200x would be faster with just a hopped up 200x motor. Powrol makes an expensive but killer cam. I have a friend that put it in his 200x, with a bigger piston and the chrome dg exhaust that is still made, and it absolutely rips. It sounds like a 350x as well, and revs higher than it should.

ironchop
10-29-2010, 05:11 AM
200X suspension is just enough for a 200 motor in a "sport" chassis with a lighter weight rider...not near as much travel or support a larger Honda trike has....doesn`t take to landing big air like the 250 or 350 cousins

the 250R and 350 X have longer travel both front and rear and the forks are also larger diameter, I believe...the 350X stuff (frontend and rear shock) can be mounted in the 200X frame with some modification...search the forums for the swap info

I love building stuff like that myself so since you know welding and fabrication, frame hacking and building a better swingarm and frame gusseting should be part of the fun...I have a built SR500 mill that was tickled for flat track with bigger Mikuni and a Supertrapp system just dying to make it into a trike frame but i`m going for a donor chassis with better suspension than the 200X like an 85-86 250R, 350X, or a Tri-Z to stay brand loyal with the mill