PDA

View Full Version : Newbie from Houston

ama009
10-28-2010, 06:40 AM
Hey everyone!! I have memories of riding a 3 wheeler when I was little. Now, as a father, I want my children to have the same great experience. I have been looking for a 250r or 200x online for about 6 months, and I finally found one that caught my eye and wallet. I found this 1985 200x in better condition than I expected for the money. I believe it needs a clutch rebuild because the lever is really hard to engage even after trying to adjust. Cable seems to be in good condition. I have ordered a new clutch perch and lever because previous owner installed a bicycle lever on there. Motor smokes a little on startup. Hopefully a full rebuild is not necessary at least for a while because I want to enjoy it a little. Finally, accelaration is good to about half throttle, and then it misses real bad. I am assuming carberator adjustment or electrical issue. Anyway, that is the breakdown. I am extremely excited with the trike and even more excited about being a part of this environment with all of you. I am trying to ride every chance I get! Thanks for accepting me in the forum!

MonroeMike
10-28-2010, 09:18 AM
Welcome to the site, congrats on the new ride.

http://72.52.143.80/~trikes/atc200x_83-85_servicemanual.pdf

ama009
10-28-2010, 12:30 PM
Awesome MonroeMike!!!!! Thanks a bunch for the manual! I really appreciate that.

thestud25
10-28-2010, 12:55 PM
Welcome! Is it backfiring through the exhaust or carb?

ama009
10-28-2010, 01:44 PM
Well, the previous owner had taken the silencer off. It doesn't feel like a backfire to me. The best way i can describe it is like a rev limiter on an MSD. Don't tell me it is because of backpressure? I haven't tried putting the rest of the exhaust on because it seems like it was buried in the mud. The inside is full mud.

thestud25
11-01-2010, 09:59 AM
I would clean out the silencer. Pack it with new baffles, and go from there. It could be that you do not have the right fuel to air ratio set on your carb as well.

ama009
11-02-2010, 07:01 AM
Thanks Stud! Upon removing the carb and careful inspection I saw that the choke lever had broken from the shaft. It still clicked like it was adjusting but it was stuck closed. After a temp fix, she started to accelarate great! Thanks for the help !!:Bounce