PDA

View Full Version : Anybody own a Taurus Judge?

jays375
11-02-2010, 07:56 PM
Been thinking about buying a Taurus Judge for sometime now.Going to stop in and see about buying one at local dealer.It is a stainless steel model,don't think it is 3 inch.I am going trade off my S&W Sigma 40.Just really don't like it that much.Only reason I have it is only cost $100 when I bought my 460 S&W.So who has one and what do you think?

bigbadktm
11-02-2010, 08:58 PM
now there is a sweet handgun, i like the 410 option for close range defense, that thing tears up a target. I say go for it, I was looking at a taurus revolver for a while for the family but i have decided on the springfield xd series instead

dksix
11-02-2010, 09:28 PM
I've had them, good with the 410 but not much with the 45lc. Too much chamber to wobble though before the bullet starts to spin. I also thought they were a little heavy to pocket and never found a decent holster for it but there may be holster options for them now. I bought the first one I ever saw just to have the first one, didn't keep it long.

300rman
11-02-2010, 09:46 PM
Been thinking about buying a Taurus Judge for sometime now.Going to stop in and see about buying one at local dealer.It is a stainless steel model,don't think it is 3 inch.I am going trade off my S&W Sigma 40.Just really don't like it that much.Only reason I have it is only cost $100 when I bought my 460 S&W.So who has one and what do you think?

what about the sigma dont you like? ive run about 200 rounds through mine so far, and i like it a lot. still getting it sighted in though, i dont have much shooting experience with a handgun. gimme a rifle and i can tear trailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro up though

jays375
11-04-2010, 05:49 PM
The Sigma is gone.I just wasn't satisfied with the accuracy.Not that the gun wouldn't shoot good with a spring kit.Trigger pull is just way to hard in my opinion.Anyway I got the 3" stainless steel version.Plus I picked up some Winchester self-defense ammo.Also picked up some 3" no.6 shot shells to try out.

The Goat
11-05-2010, 09:17 PM
just a heads up...it shoots a donut pattern when you fire buckshot... and it doesn't have good penetration or do good damage when firing them.

It's an idea that started out good and just kinda didn't work out. The long colt ammo is however a GOOD round for penetration and self defense.

wisconsinite
11-05-2010, 10:12 PM
lol shows what i know about firearms. when i saw the title of this thread i thought taurus (like ford taurus) judge (like gto judge) and thought wtf??!!
what a bonehead i is :)

Mr_RPM
11-06-2010, 10:49 AM
I have not heard alot of good things about them. They are more of a novelty thing then a serious gun. I hear the .410 rounds are worthless in the gun, and rifled barrels produces a donut pattern. The penetration with the .410 does not meet the FBI 12 inch requirement either. The idea sounded cool but it was to good to be true. Most say they work good as a snake gun if your a desert guy. and as for the 45 colt they work good. you just need a longer barrel for the .410 to work right. Its more of a .45LC that happens to fit a .410

GREAt WEBSITE AND REVIEW: http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot41.htm

Jerm1179
11-06-2010, 11:51 AM
for a home defense gun it should be ok...you dont want alot of penetration, actually the less penetration you have the better.

and bigbadktm i also have a springfield i have an XD9 tactical...i absolutely love it

Mr_RPM
11-06-2010, 03:41 PM
for a home defense gun it should be ok...you dont want alot of penetration, actually the less penetration you have the better.

completely false IMO. when you have an intruder in your house posing a great threat to your life and you can not escape and are forced to fire. you want the threat STOPPED for the sake of your life. There are many ballistic tests supported by the FBI saying you must have at least 12 inches of penetration to meet the FBI requirements.
you may think low penetration is best because its less likely to pass threw walls and into loved ones near by but no matter what i'm firing I would not shoot unless i was sure of my shot. spraying a guy with bird shot may slow him down but if he was pumped up on drugs it will not stop him. there are reports of men still charging after taking birdshot in center mass.

something with alot of take down power, low spread (because you are responsible for EVERY stray round that missed target) and no tooo much penetration is desired. 0 buck in 12 gauge has proven to be the best for shotguns but because lack of availability, 00 buck is a favorite. Federal Premium ammo makes a 00 round with a "flite control" wad that tightens patterns considerably at longer distance then standard wads.

do some research and look at scientific tests rather then just hoping or guessing.
its not the Odds, its the stakes!

info and sources http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=109958

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/theboxotruth.htm

Jerm1179
11-07-2010, 10:29 AM
in a house...more than likely (unless you live in a huge house) your longest shot will be between 8-15feet in distance. your right a 12gauge will have a lot more knock down, but at that distance inside close quarters in a home defense situation...a 410 with 000buckshot or even 4,6oz birdshot it would definately do the trick with out any doubt in my mind. and yes of course you would be "sure" or your shot before you popped one off, but its dark...ya dont know who else in the house heard the intruder and may have moved from their rooms to try to get closer to their parents or whatever the situation might be...i still say less penetration the better...if 2 bird shots to centermass didnt knock him on his ass...well good thing i have 3 more rounds left.. lol i personally use a 20gauge with 6oz field loads..at 15 feet the most of the spread is what 4-6inchs... but the taurus should be fine IMHO

Mr_RPM
11-08-2010, 10:03 AM
yeah its a big debate. either way a gun with any load will be better then nothing. If for HD I suggest a light of some sort. its nice to identify the target before you shoot. it will help in the court room too. there are alot of mountable light systems for many guns and im sure they have them for a judge too. look around.

but i think if i bought a judge it would be for messing around in the back yard with some milk jugs and stuff. its more of a fun time gun then a dedicated purpose gun.

either way, have fun and be safe.

buck
11-10-2010, 01:18 AM
I never have figured out why this gun brings out so much controversy. There are plenty of haters out there for some reason. For those that don't like it, don't buy it. Simple. There are plenty of other firearms out there that won't meet my needs but I don't go around telling the world about it.

I own a Judge. To me it is a purpose built firearm that does what it was intended to do. I use it mostly for hunting. It's my sidearm while I hog hunt in Texas. No I don't use it to dispatch charging hogs, I use it for the occasional rattler and other critters I may come across. I usually keep it loaded with a heavy number 4 shot with the occasional buck shot here and there. I personally have about 8 or so friends that own one and love them. Most of the owners are primarily hunters and shooters by nature. Again, self defense wasn't the primary purpose for the purchase.

Look at it this way. It's a .45 caliber revolver that shoots shotgun shells too. I shoot 45 LC through mine for kicks every now and then. The accuracy, or lack thereof, claimed by the critics is much worse than what my results are. I routinely shoot the centers out of clay targets at 25' with mine.

It's a simple weapon to operate that you won't have to worry about failing. Any weapon fired at an intruder is going to sway the odds in your favor in the real world. Myself, I didn't purchase the gun for self defense. It's considered a tool by me, nothing more. I know my wife could grab it in a time of need and the situation would be taken care of. I can also use it around our property for small game. It's dual purpose for me.

The argument of what caliber is better than the next will go on forever. The arguments between a 9mm, 40, and 45 ACP are about as old as they could possibly be. It's a gun. Shoot it at someone and chances are they will change their thinking about doing harm to you.

bigbadktm
11-11-2010, 01:25 AM

and bigbadktm i also have a springfield i have an XD9 tactical...i absolutely love it

i was thinking about getting the 40cal, but I havent put the 9mm outta my mind just yet. my buddy is a vegas cop and they use 9mm glocks, highway patrol out here uses s&w 40cal so I have yet to make a full decision. i have heard a lot of good things about the xd

cumminstroker
11-11-2010, 02:15 AM
Anyone considering a Judge should read this first to see if it will do what they are expecting: http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot41.htm

RIDE-RED 250r
11-11-2010, 11:14 AM
I know its a little off topic, but i just put some money down on a brand new one of these...... i think it will do the trick just fine! :naughty:

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_764965_-1_757769_757767_757751_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

300rman
11-11-2010, 12:19 PM
in a house...more than likely (unless you live in a huge house) your longest shot will be between 8-15feet in distance. your right a 12gauge will have a lot more knock down, but at that distance inside close quarters in a home defense situation...a 410 with 000buckshot or even 4,6oz birdshot it would definately do the trick with out any doubt in my mind. and yes of course you would be "sure" or your shot before you popped one off, but its dark...ya dont know who else in the house heard the intruder and may have moved from their rooms to try to get closer to their parents or whatever the situation might be...i still say less penetration the better...if 2 bird shots to centermass didnt knock him on his ass...well good thing i have 3 more rounds left.. lol i personally use a 20gauge with 6oz field loads..at 15 feet the most of the spread is what 4-6inchs... but the taurus should be fine IMHO

Exactly...for in-home defense, the less Penetration, the better.. now where i could see birdshot not doing much to someone hitting them in the chest, blast one into his face.....instant ruined eyes, no more threat. the spread on the birdshot should give you a nice face/chest hit that will inflict some major pain....

ron1576
11-11-2010, 01:14 PM
It sounds like some of my fellow trikers have taken some weapons training courses, very good. One of the best things about Taurus is their warranty. I do not own a Judge, but do own a Taurus .44 mag, they make quality weapons in my opinion. If you are discharging a weapon you have to know your target and what is beyond, whether you think your shot will pass through your target, or not. Even with the Judge, you could pass through certain parts of your target. It is desireable to pass through. The more holes that are inflicted on your target, the more shock you impose. If you are dealing with an intruder in your home, you don't want to shoot to kill necessarily, you are trying to STOP the threat. I live in Michigan, laws are different for different states. So here there has to be impending danger to you or yours before you could shoot anyhow. If it could be proven otherwise, you can be tried criminally. Just some things I learned while doing some weapons training. The Judge should be a fine weapon for you. In the end, there are a lot of different loads you could shoot, so versatility is not a problem here.

Always aim for central mass, that being the middle of the biggest area exposed. This will lessen your chance of a stray.

Mr_RPM
11-11-2010, 01:33 PM
Anyone considering a Judge should read this first to see if it will do what they are expecting: http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot41.htm

if u look at my first post in this thread i posted that =P.

oh and off topic, I GOT MY 12 GAUGE YESTERDAY!!! got it all cleaned and ready to go. just gotta wait on my back to heal before i can shoot it. =(

mossberg 590 a1 9 shot with ghost rings, basic stock

300rman
11-11-2010, 02:20 PM
It sounds like some of my fellow trikers have taken some weapons training courses, very good. One of the best things about Taurus is their warranty. I do not own a Judge, but do own a Taurus .44 mag, they make quality weapons in my opinion. If you are discharging a weapon you have to know your target and what is beyond, whether you think your shot will pass through your target, or not. Even with the Judge, you could pass through certain parts of your target. It is desireable to pass through. The more holes that are inflicted on your target, the more shock you impose. If you are dealing with an intruder in your home, you don't want to shoot to kill necessarily, you are trying to STOP the threat. I live in Michigan, laws are different for different states. So here there has to be impending danger to you or yours before you could shoot anyhow. If it could be proven otherwise, you can be tried criminally. Just some things I learned while doing some weapons training. The Judge should be a fine weapon for you. In the end, there are a lot of different loads you could shoot, so versatility is not a problem here.

Always aim for central mass, that being the middle of the biggest area exposed. This will lessen your chance of a stray.

If someone has broken into my home, they are a danger to me. period. Im not gonna stop and ask his ass what he is here for. if he is in my house, he's a dead man....then its your word versus nobody elses....just dont shoot them in the back (which i find to be ridiculous)

jays375
11-11-2010, 07:05 PM
Buck pretty much said what I was thinking.Sure I have more than enough other guns.I wanted it to keep in my nightstand.A 12 gauge won't fit there.The kids are older and know not to play with guns.Just feel a little better with it tucked away there.Used to keep a short barreled 12 gauge under my bed.There is one shotgun readily available,kept unloaded.Other than that everything else is locked up in the safe.Now to Ride Red 250r,that is one nice piece.Just stinks they cost so much.For a little more money you could own a 460 or 500.Me I am waiting on finding a nice model 27 for a reasonable price.I know that will be a tough one.Was fourtunate to pick up a very nice model 29 at a good price.It is a good shooter and looks like brand new.Good luck with it and enjoy.

RIDE-RED 250r
11-11-2010, 07:25 PM
Buck pretty much said what I was thinking.Sure I have more than enough other guns.I wanted it to keep in my nightstand.A 12 gauge won't fit there.The kids are older and know not to play with guns.Just feel a little better with it tucked away there.Used to keep a short barreled 12 gauge under my bed.There is one shotgun readily available,kept unloaded.Other than that everything else is locked up in the safe.Now to Ride Red 250r,that is one nice piece.Just stinks they cost so much.For a little more money you could own a 460 or 500.Me I am waiting on finding a nice model 27 for a reasonable price.I know that will be a tough one.Was fourtunate to pick up a very nice model 29 at a good price.It is a good shooter and looks like brand new.Good luck with it and enjoy.

Thanks man. I had to decide between the new 686 and an early 80's, 1st edition 629. The 629 was like brand new. VERY tough decision. After 20 minutes i finally went with the 686. I really like the full barrel lug and the 686 felt like it was made just for me...a perfect fit. $719 at my local dealer, considerably less than MSRP...I cant wait to pay the sucker off and get it home!

Can you shoot .410 slugs out of the Judge? Or is it mainly suggested to use buckshot? But i guess there wouldnt be much difference between shootin the .45LC's or the .410 slugs....I have never owned or fired a Judge, but i like the concept.

jays375
11-11-2010, 08:59 PM
That was a good price on that Smith.You will enjoy and they are tough to beat.Plus you can plink with 38s a lot cheaper.Especially if you don't reload.The trigger is so nice on Smiths.When I bought my 460 couldn't believe how nice it was.My only complaint is the sights.Wish it had smaller ones,would help shooting further I think.I keep going back and forth if it should be scoped.Out to 50 yards it groups nice.When you get out to 100 it is tough for me.I believe slugs can be shot out of the Judge.Probally won't,just stick to the 45s.Enjoy your new gun!

buck
11-11-2010, 11:56 PM
A couple of more quick comments...

In the "Box o truth" test he mentioned only being able to get Buckshot in 3" loads. This may have been true at the time of his test, but it's not the case now. There are a handful of companies making a 2.5" Buckshot load for this gun. Federal even makes a Buckshot load in 2.5" that has 4 balls instead of 3 in it. Federal also makes a real nice heavy number 4 shot for the Judge that I really like. They have also released a personal defense load for this gun that has a combination of discs and a triangle shaped shot in it. I personally don't think it would do any more damage than a regular load IMO, but I do have a box of it in my arsenal that I intend to play with.

Don't think for a second that I think this gun is the end all of guns. There are plenty of guns out there that do what they do better than this gun. I think of this thing like I do the crescent wrench in my tool box. It doesn't do any one thing great, but it gets the job done nonetheless. We all know that everyone has at least one or more crescent wrenche in their tool collection. You almost always need one whether you want to admit it or not.

Buck