PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here do any blackpowder hunting?

jrwebb8324
11-02-2010, 08:13 PM
I just got into blackpowdering about 2 years ago and love it. I shoot a cva staghorn mag. 50cal inline. great little gun. Just went out and bought a scope for it and sighted it in last week.:naughty: Just thought i would see how many people on here are into it. Not real popular around here.

plastikosmd
11-02-2010, 08:18 PM
Blackpowder target here. 50 cal custom made by fred Sinclair from what I am told. Rem stock, redfield Olympic sights, lot of fun. Also a ruger old army 45 revolver, pita to keep clean but a blast

jays375
11-02-2010, 08:18 PM
I am but shoot a flintlock.Now if you want to try something really fun shoot a flintlock.Now my latest hunting gun is a TC Firestorm.It is deadly accurate with CVA Powerbelts and ignition is very quick.Last flintlock was a TC Hawken,which was a really good gun.The Firestorm really ups the odds in your favor.I know alot of traditional shooters probally don't like it.

jrwebb8324
11-02-2010, 08:31 PM
I had one of the .44 revolvers, could not shoot anything further than about 10 yards away. Real fun to play around with though. I have not gotten a chance to try out a flintlock yet but am looking forward to it someday. My cva shoots great. shoots true everytime. Trigger response is almost instant on it. Real easy to take apart and clean. Shooting T/C mags with about 90 grains of loose powder.

RIDE-RED 250r
11-03-2010, 07:04 PM
I have a TC Renegade with octogan barrell i bought about 15 years ago. Like JAYS375, Im into the oldschool. It is a caplock, side hammer type rifle. I can only use loose powder unlike the inlines that can use wedges and other types of powder charges. I used to get my ealry muzzleloading tag every year, but NY has gotten so ridiculous in what they charge for sporting licenses, i cant see spending an extra $20 for 1 week of hunting, which really translates to just 2 days due to my work schedule...So i havent done the muzzleloading for the last 3 or 4 years...

jays375
11-04-2010, 05:54 PM
In Pa. we have a early doe only season which I don't bother with.Not really my thing plus I would rather archery hunt.It started out as a flintlock only season also like the other season.Then moved up to be able to use a scoped inline.There are people here who never got into the sport until they did that.Now they think you should be able to shoot a buck also in the early season.I don't think that would be very fair.My Firestorm will shoot with pellets but ignition is slower.I use loose black powder.Just don't think the performance is as good with the subsitutes.

jrwebb8324
11-04-2010, 07:25 PM
here in missouri muzzleloading is the last season to open up. i think it should be put before rifle season. Even though the muzzleloaders of today are getting real modern it is still more of a challenge than using a high powered rifle. One shot that has to count, plus the distance they will shoot is not near as far as a high powered gun. i think the season should be opened after bow season and before rifle season.