PDA

View Full Version : ATC 250R - Wider Footpegs

Red Rider
11-03-2010, 08:59 PM
After seeing many other members' trikes & their wider footpegs, either self-fabricated, or adapted from other bikes, and wanting a little bit more comfortable perches for my feet, I decided to fabricate some wider footpegs that will bolt on to my existing, stock footpegs for my '86 ATC 250R. I got a small sheet of 3/16" thick 5052 Aluminum and cut out my patterns. After carefully clamping them in a vice, and adding a little heat, they were bent into the traditional "footpeg" shapes.

audioworks04
11-03-2010, 09:32 PM
You did that in a vice? Impressive. What did you use to cut them out? I assume something cool that few of us have or even have access to....cnc? plasma?

Shorty
11-03-2010, 09:45 PM
Would those fit a 86 atc 350x?

Red Rider
11-03-2010, 09:48 PM
You did that in a vice? Impressive. What did you use to cut them out? I assume something cool that few of us have or even have access to....cnc? plasma?Thanks audio!

Quite the contrary. I made up a pattern out of cardboard, traced the outline onto the aluminum sheet with a scribe, and then cut out the shapes with a Bosch saber saw. For all of the teeth on the footpegs, before I bent them up, I drilled a hole at the bottom of each tooth (15 holes on each side + 3 holes on the ends for a total of 33 holes on each footpeg). I made a little jig to guide me, so that the holes were evenly spaced. Then I used the saber saw again to cut each "V" down to the holes that I drilled.

In that first pic, they way that I have them arranged, it kind of looks like a square sprocket, huh?

puggerton03
11-04-2010, 12:28 AM
Nice work!

Red Rider
11-04-2010, 01:50 PM
Thanks Puggerton!

Would those fit a 86 atc 350x?Shorty, I don't know for sure. If 350X footpegs are identical to the 250R's, then yes, but I'm not familiar with the 350X footpegs.

D-dub
11-04-2010, 05:38 PM
Very very impressive work..Id love a set!

SeaBass8
11-05-2010, 10:19 AM
Looks great! How bout a pic installed? Would you consider making more?

Red Rider
11-06-2010, 01:12 AM
Very very impressive work..Id love a set!

Looks great! How bout a pic installed? Would you consider making more?Thanks for the compliments guys. I'm not quite done yet. I still need to finalize the installation hardware & install them when I get back home, then I'll have some more pics. Unfortunately, since these as all of my custom parts, are handmade, so I have no way of quickly reproducing them, which prevents me from offering additional sets for sale. I wish I had the ability to quickly turn these things out via a cnc mill for everyone that's interested in them.

Red Rider
11-07-2010, 06:01 PM
I finally got around to finishing these up today. I'm using stainless steel bolts & coupling nuts, along with 1/2" zinc-coated, spacers on the outsides of the stock footpegs.

SUPERBEAST
11-07-2010, 10:41 PM
that sure does look strong and beefy

torker
11-12-2010, 10:21 AM
Ok, stop, enough is enough !!!

Do you take Paypal? :lol: :lol:
Really. Will you make me a set of these? You should...

TORKER.

tri-Z ripper
11-12-2010, 03:33 PM
Ouch those look painfully awesome! hold your feet and your calf woohoo! super nice job with the tools you have!

Red Rider
11-14-2010, 07:44 PM
Will you make me a set of these? You should...Thanks Torker. I'll have to add these to the "most requested parts" list. I really wish there was a way for me to quickly reproduce these, and a few other fabricated goodies, but there isn't.

Ouch those look painfully awesome! hold your feet and your calf woohoo! super nice job with the tools you have!Thanks ripper! I've got a few scratches on my hands & arms from those pegs already, just because I decided to wipe the bike down prior to a trip to the dunes.

And, now the first ride report:

These footpegs are way too grippy! I'm gonna need to dull down the teeth some before the next ride. They're so sharp that they're digging into my boot's soles, and chewing them up, which doesn't allow me to reposition my feet on the pegs very quickly, and I don't like that. I expected the aluminum to get worn & dulled down fairly quickly, but 3 days worth of riding later, and they're still sharp.

torker
12-29-2010, 02:23 AM
Thanks Torker. I'll have to add these to the "most requested parts" list. I really wish there was a way for me to quickly reproduce these, and a few other fabricated goodies, but there isn't.

Thanks ripper! I've got a few scratches on my hands & arms from those pegs already, just because I decided to wipe the bike down prior to a trip to the dunes.

And, now the first ride report:

These footpegs are way too grippy! I'm gonna need to dull down the teeth some before the next ride. They're so sharp that they're digging into my boot's soles, and chewing them up, which doesn't allow me to reposition my feet on the pegs very quickly, and I don't like that. I expected the aluminum to get worn & dulled down fairly quickly, but 3 days worth of riding later, and they're still sharp.

See, they are NO good to you. They're out to get you...Send them to me. And build yourself some worn out ones. I just saved your boots, hands, arms... heck, even saved your life. :lol::lol::lol:

TORKER.

skidoo99
01-08-2011, 10:54 PM
hmm maybe i could buy a cardboard template from you and make a set here myself. wouldnt mind doing the work just not interested in figuring it out haha.

250rRoostmaster
09-30-2011, 03:38 PM
I have a bunch of these made now!!! Thanks again Red Rider!!

Red Rider
06-22-2019, 08:35 PM
When I first made these wider aluminum footpegs, they were designed to be centered (as shown in the first pic) around the OEM footpegs, with 11/16" more footpeg surface area in front of & behind the OEM footpegs. After the initial installation, the shift lever needed to be raised up a bit to accommodate the 11/16" further forward leading edge of the L footpeg, and wearing motocross boots seems to have exacerbated the problem, which has lead to many missed shifts. To remedy the issue, I ditched the 1/2" spacers in front of the OEM pegs, and bolted the aluminum footpeg directly to the leading edge of the OEM footpeg, then added 1" spacers behind the OEM footpegs. This allowed me to lower the shift lever back to it's normal spot, and cured my shift miscues. Unfortunately, it also messed with the aesthetic beauty of my original design. So being the perfectionist that I am, I decided to redo these, and added them to my "to do list". Well, 8 years later, I decided to finally tackle these, using my new found router milling techniques.

I started with a wood template, which I thought would be strong enough, but soon found that it had a bit of give, or flex to it, which was leading to slightly errant cuts with the router. As a result, the first aluminum piece cut out, had to be fine tuned, and is now the template for the remaining pieces. It took a while to get the rhythmic footpeg serration pattern figured out, and cut into another template, but I'm pretty happy with the results.

ironchop
06-23-2019, 08:38 PM
At this point, it's safe to say that you've mastered the router

Nice extensions

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

Red Rider
06-25-2019, 04:25 PM
Here's the final product before bending them into shape. I chamfered most of the edges to remove the sharp corners, and for aerodynamics as well.

dirtwheels
06-25-2019, 05:04 PM
Those came out great! Nice work. You should make up a few sets and put them in the 3ww store.

Red Rider
06-25-2019, 11:30 PM
I got them all bent into shape and installed. I think I will call this project done.

ironchop
06-26-2019, 08:00 AM
Nice work

That blows away my muffler spacer [emoji23]

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

Red Rider
06-26-2019, 02:18 PM
Nice workThank you sir.

That blows away my muffler spacer [emoji23]Nonsense, you need to silence yourself! That what some exhaustive work you did on those, and it shows. You should see my muffler spacers. I used a 5/8" hole-saw to drill through some 1/2" aluminum plate, then smoothed out the resulting plug. The funny thing is, I was trying to think of something I could make, with the leftover scraps from my footpeg project, and thought about re-designing the hangers for my silencer. Then about an hour later, I saw your post about yours.

BENCH
04-13-2020, 12:32 PM
I got them all bent into shape and installed. I think I will call this project done.

Look great! Thanks for the inspiration.

deathman53
04-13-2020, 06:58 PM
you do know that 85 and 86 peg plate and pegs DONT interchange. You can put a 85 pegs on the 86 peg plate, but you can't put a 86 peg on a 85 peg plate. The 85 peg plate is narrower. You can put 86 trx pegs on a 86 atc250r and I may be wrong.....but 88/89 pegs on a 86 atc250r peg plate too. I found this out the hard and expensive way.

Red Rider
04-14-2020, 12:35 AM
you do know that 85 and 86 peg plate and pegs DONT interchange.I did not know that, but I wasn't swapping pegs around.