PDA

View Full Version : Pic of a Rattler I killed!

J.D.
09-22-2003, 11:08 PM
Enjoy!

J.D.
09-22-2003, 11:11 PM
Here's a coupel more

TeCaTe_MaN
09-23-2003, 01:15 AM
heh, how'd ya kill it? i know when i usedto live in vegas...me and my friends would go out with a blacklight and hunting scorpions...

J.D.
09-23-2003, 12:21 PM
I shot him full of approx 40 bb's, and 3 pellets at point blank directly to the head. Incase you can't tell, I'm not fond of poisinous snakes ;)

bakeban
09-23-2003, 01:35 PM
u da man. when i was younger i was at my grandmas house and a huge ass bull snake was next to her front door. it was like 5 and 1/2 feet long. i chopped its head off and me and my uncle skinned it. then we tanned the skin and its on a hat as we speak. ya know, the meat on a snake actually looks alot like chicken haha :D

Bandit_33
09-23-2003, 06:07 PM
I shot him full of approx 40 bb's, and 3 pellets at point blank directly to the head. Incase you can't tell, I'm not fond of poisinous snakes ;)

What did the poor thing do to you?? All ya had to do was leave it alone and it wouldnt bother you??

It amazes me what ignorance will let some people do?? Useless killing is a sin my friend??

:(

Billy Golightly
09-23-2003, 06:41 PM
Its a poisonous snake....a living poisonous snake can kill you, your wife, your child, or a freind in probably less then 45 minutes. Dead poisonous snake doesn't do that. For Christ sakes its a frigging wild snake, not Mr Ed or the Taco bell dog.

ATC crazy
09-23-2003, 08:45 PM
That damn Taco Bell dog needs a few pellets in his head too.....

"Yo quiero Taco bell"

....."Empújelo arriba su como perro"

2strokepwer
09-24-2003, 12:05 AM
I know it will sound gross to some people but fried rattlesnake taste better than fried chicken. It has been years since i have eaten any.

mudduck14843
09-24-2003, 12:08 AM
I for one would like to thank you for such a wonderful job!!!
not sure if that was in a populated area or not but you might very well have saved a human life by killing it!

i was about 6 yrs old my grandparents had a cottage on the tipiecanoe river in indiana...
if was fall the leaves were falling off the trees we raked them all day long...the next day we went out to jump in the pile we had,i was the first one to hit the pile (head first i went in)when i did i got bite by a copperhead right between the lookers...the snake hit so hard that when i stood up it was still dangling from my head(fangs stuck into the bone or cartilage where my nose and skull meet.
needless to say i spent about 3 weeks in the hospital recovering from it(thank god my uncle was there and is a M.D.)if not for that there is a very good chance it wouldn't have turned out that way.

btw... a rattler can still bite you up to 12 hours after it is dead,and the poison is still toxic for like 48 hours.
when you kill a rattler you are suposed to cut off the head and bury it.

smokinwrench
09-24-2003, 12:12 AM
We have rattle snake roundups around here. Little Sahara has one of the largest ones there is. You can watch all kinds of idiots playin with the snakes. They get in sleepin bags with them and all kinds of other tricks. Then you can goto the SnakeShack and buy some to eat. A few years ago I was gonna buy some and eat it, almost done it, but I must have sobbered up to much before I goto the counter to order it. ;)

A good snake is a dead snake.

Josh

Billy Golightly
09-24-2003, 09:41 AM
Actually rattlesnake meet is pretty good..Its just kind of tough. You gotta really tenderize the hell out of it or let it marinate all night. Infact theres one in our freezer right now :-D

J.D.
09-25-2003, 12:23 AM

What did the poor thing do to you?? All ya had to do was leave it alone and it wouldnt bother you?? My butt stinks and I smell!

It amazes me what ignorance will let some people do?? Useless killing is a sin my friend??

:(

Come say that to my face and I'll shoot you full of BB's to! DAMN WILDLIFE CONSERVATIONALIST WIMPS! And I bet your a vegetarian too, right? WHAT DID THOSE POOR VEGETABLES DO TO BE EATEN BY YOU? You sick mother!! :evil: :evil: :evil:

3WheelHouston
09-25-2003, 12:47 AM
Well I'll make two that say you shouldn't have killed the snake. I was actually upset too that you killed such a beautiful animal. If you weren't such a chicken trailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro you would have caught it, unharmed, and taken it out somewhere and let it go. It's not the snake's fault that they can kill people. It's the people who aren't careful in snake country who are at fault. You killed the snake out of fear, with a weapon attacking far out of range his ability to defend. Now who's the wimp?

And you had better bring something bigger than your pussy pellet gun if you're going to threaten me too. :twisted:

Bandit_33
09-25-2003, 06:26 AM
:([/quote]Come say that to my face and I'll shoot you full of BB's to! DAMN WILDLIFE CONSERVATIONALIST WIMPS! And I bet your a vegetarian too, right? WHAT DID THOSE POOR VEGETABLES DO TO BE EATEN BY YOU? You sick mother!! :evil: :evil: :evil:[/quote]

Actually im from Maine dude and I whitetail deer hunt and I Black bear hunt I also bird hunt and put in every year for my Moose licence so your assumption is wrong!! I dont kill for fun or kill anything I dont plan on eating and I definatly dont kill outta ignorance as I can see 95% of the people responding to this thread do!! If properly EDUCATED then there should be no reason to kill a defensless animal!! My balls dont swell and I dont feel all tought killing a defensless animal with a BB gun!! Thats cowardly!! You dont like rattlesnakes pick the mother up and snap its neck!! Oh but I cant do that it may bite me? Ya no sense playing fair right!!

As far as your kids could get bit or your wifes?? EDUCATE them and they wont get bit and you wont have to kill uneccisaraly!

As far as you filling me full of BB's?? Bring your little gun up here tough guy and Ill take your gun from you shove it up your %$# and make a jerkcicle outta ya!!!

:-D

Billy Golightly
09-25-2003, 10:08 AM
Personally I would rather kill the snake and be done with it (Until another one comes along) then take the chance if it biting someone, but if the snake is more important to you then I guess thats your choice. Maybe you live right next door to a hospital too, but the closest hospital to me as an hour and a half away in a helicopter.

This is like the helmet argument...I would rather wear a helmet then take the chance of splattering my brains on a rock or tree.

TrikeKid
09-25-2003, 11:29 AM
i dont have any poisinous snake stories but i have helped my friend catch an almost 6 foot rainbow boa in the woods before. when i still went to daycare we used to go catch snakes in the swamp all day. you woulndnt belive the size of the gardner snakes in there! i almost had the biggest one in the swamp but my friend couldnt get there with the bucket in time.

Jeb
09-25-2003, 11:43 AM
Goku, Personally, I wouldn't have shot him full of BBs. :shock: I do believe in swift kills if you got to do it. But if he was anywhere near where my kids play or around my house I would have killed him too. And my kids are little and know to leave snakes alone and come get mom or dad. Personally I do leave rattlers alone out in the pasture where they are away from people.

Dont worry about bandit and 3wheelhouston. They must be your typical city slicker deer hunters. That's one reason I quit deer hunting along time ago so I wouldn't be grouped with them. got more money than sense. pay way too much money a year to lease a place to hunt. while the land owners laugh there @$$es off all the way to the bank. they have to have a 4 wheeler and a 4 wheel drive pickup. and what they call hunting I dont. they harvest deer. set up feeders and blinds and then shoot deer when they come to eat. I must have been very lucky growing up. I never had to "hunt" that way nor did I ever have to pay for it. I wouldn't have anyway. And these guys have the nerve to question someone for killing a snake.

.... I dont kill for fun .....

and bandit, if you don't hunt for fun..... THEN WHAT THE HELL DO YOU DO IT FOR???????????? Cause you feel you just have to???

That's all right, keep hunting deer that way or whatever way you hunt. Its your right to kill deer and whatever else you want within the law. just like it's Goku's right to kill a DANGEROUS snake if he wants. I really hate to stereo type deer hunters, but I see these guys (city boy hunters) I described all the time, every hunting season. I share they're need to get away from it all and get out with nature. I'm glad they do it. Its good for the local economy.

3wheelhouston, You talk tough on a message board I hope you can back it up. I dare you to jump any local land owner in texas where you hunt for killing a snake on their property. There's a good chance you might take an @$$ whippin. plain and simple.

Sorry, had to vent. I just get pissed off at people who think its OK to kill certain types of animals and not others. what gives one more right to life than the other. just cause you can eat em?????? "OH my God, don't kill such a magnificent creature!!" Deer, Moose, and Bear are very Majestic creatures. much more so than a damn rattle snake. you can eat a snake. If you have issues with killing snakes, you should not kill deer, dove, whatever. or at least you could keep your two-faced mouth shut when someone else does.

TrikeKid
09-25-2003, 11:53 AM
is grouse meat any good? around here i believe you can hunt them without a licence we have spruce grouse and cali quail around here i pretty sure my 22 would kill one im not sure on the legalaty of quail though.

Bandit_33
09-25-2003, 05:00 PM
Ummmmm Yaaaa Yooooo Jebby boy

I live in Maine retard and the biggest city which I live 3 hours away from in the whole state is Portland !! Maybe during tourist season it hits 325000 people??

As far as me saying I dont kill animals for fun what I meant was I dont shoot a defensless animal full of 40 BB's then come on a message board and pound my chest like I did some good thing??

When I hunt I hunt game in which my state deems leagal game to hunt and I shoot ONLY what I plan to eat!!

This isnt like the helmet debate !! Proper education will curb the neanderthal attitude when it comes to things like this!!

Jeb you see a snake you probably gather all your sisters and brothers AKA your cousins and take a big ol swill off your Old Mill and make a big deal of bashing its head in!!

That my redneck friend is a sin and a shame and just shows how ignorant you really are!!

I can understand if its a poiseness snake around your house and you have small children then of course thats one thing!! Being in the woods in THERE home and bashing its head is cowardly!!Nuff said!!

Peace :-D

olderthandirt
09-25-2003, 07:05 PM
hip horrah :-D the snake is dead, the snake is dead,the snake is dead.
opps, sorry,but you know,thats life.
by the way,rattle snake is good eating. on the grill or jerky.
i pity the man who tries to take my gun from me :!: there has yet to be born a mother fuc&er bad enough and as far as shuving it up my butt,no thanks i don't walk that way of life :rolleyes:

eat more snake! :-D :-D :-D :-D

SpeedBump
09-25-2003, 07:37 PM

I live in Maine retard and the biggest city which I live 3 hours away from in the whole state is Portland !! Maybe during tourist season it hits 325000 people??

As far as me saying I dont kill animals for fun what I meant was I dont shoot a defensless animal full of 40 BB's then come on a message board and pound my chest like I did some good thing??

When I hunt I hunt game in which my state deems leagal game to hunt and I shoot ONLY what I plan to eat!!

This isnt like the helmet debate !! Proper education will curb the neanderthal attitude when it comes to things like this!!

Jeb you see a snake you probably gather all your sisters and brothers AKA your cousins and take a big ol swill off your Old Mill and make a big deal of bashing its head in!!

That my redneck friend is a sin and a shame and just shows how ignorant you really are!!

I can understand if its a poiseness snake around your house and you have small children then of course thats one thing!! Being in the woods in THERE home and bashing its head is cowardly!!Nuff said!!

Peace :-D If you hunt anything, it is killing a defenseless animal, unless you are going out with a stick and rocks to try to kill that way. using a bow/rifle/crossbow/handgun or any other "modern" weapon is not fair to the animal. A deer cannot shoot back. I have no problem with guys hunting, I used to myself, but you are being a hypocrit if you are trying to defend hunting by saying "I only kill what I plan to eat" You can go to the grocery store and BUY anything you may NEED to eat. You hunt for ENJOYMENT, not out of NECESSITY. There hasn't been a NEED to hunt for MANY MANY years.
As for the part about WHY he killed the snake, I didn't see where he gave a reason at all. He just posted a pic or 2 of the dead snake he killed. I for one would not kill a snake out of FEAR of the snake, but out of FEAR of stumbling across it by accident and gettin bitten. I also would not be upset if most if not ALL of the poisonous snakes were killed. There are plenty of NON-poisonous snakes that can keep the rodent population in check. I would hate to see a person killed by a snake. Yes, teaching people about them would help, but accidents do happen. It is JUST A SNAKE.

NOS_350X
09-25-2003, 08:35 PM
A deer cannot shoot back.

thats why you play paintball :D

ATC crazy
09-25-2003, 09:46 PM
LMAO :D :D

If the snake was in the S position ready to strike at me....thats when I would've killed it. Otherwise I woulda left it alone....

smokinwrench
09-25-2003, 10:12 PM
Everyone should attend a Rattlesnake Roundup. It is very educational, they teach you how to live with snakes and not get bit. I still don't like snakes.

I use to hunt all the time and just plain old lost interest in it. I got tired of walking 10-20 miles per day and only see 3 or 4 pheasants all day long. My kid will be old enough to hund in a few years and I am sure I will get the bug to hunt then and teach him the proper way. I never eat what I shoot, NEVER. I do clean it and give it to someone that will eat it.

Goku shoot another snake tomarrow for all I care you won't here me gripe about it.

Josh

J.D.
09-26-2003, 12:20 AM
I'm tired of all you lil wimpy Yankees. Jeb makes a good point, bears and deer are much more majestic than snakes. Who said I didn't eat the rattler after I took pics of him? The reason I killed him? I have lots of stuff on my property, wood piles and the like, what if I go to grab something in a pile, he's laying there and I disturb him, and he bites me? Then I'm a dead trailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro! It takes 40 mins to an ambulance to get to my house, 30 mins after for the chopper to fly me to the closest hospital. BUT...I killed this guy when he might have been in a pile of wood, and I save my ass, did I kill him just for the hell of it? No, I have feelings too. But when it comes to my life vs his, I am higher on the food chain. Cya homesnake.

BTW Bandit33, why are you so obsessed with peoples asses? Just curious because everything you say seems to have some reference to my ass.

TimSr
09-26-2003, 09:24 AM
During the time I lived in so. California I ran across rattlers on 8 different occasions. I killed 4 of them, the other 4 were not a threat once I got out of the initial confrontation. One I killed accidentally when I ran over it with a YZ250. One I shot, after nearly stepping on it. He was rattling and in strike position, about 2 feet away, and I was shaking so bad its a miracle my .38 found its mark. One was blocking my path, and I didnt feel like making a climb around him, so I killed it with one hit of a large rock. The one in the picture, my dog discovered, and thought it was a toy. It was rattling in strike position and my dog was crouched down with his rear in the air and wagging his tail, dodging strikes. The dog ignored my yells, so I shot the snake. The .357 nearly removed his head, and stopped him instantly. This was one of my final hunting trips in Ca., so I figured it would be last chance to try some rattlesnake. I skinned it, and cleaned it, and wrapped a section of it up in foil with butter and seasoning salt. It was delicious, so I then cooked the rest of it, and ate the whole thing. It was hardly what Id call a meal, though. Theres not much meat on one of these! I only now regret not saving and eating the other ones.

The scary thing was that in all of these cases, other than the one I ran over, I never saw the snakes until they were rattling. They blend in so well, even when rattling they are not readily spotted. The ones I did not kill were like 3 to 5 feet away so I was able to backup, and stay away from them. The one that I shot right next to me, I believe would have struck had I moved my legs.

Rattlesnakes primarily eat rodents, so are considered beneficial by many people, unless you happen to be a rodent. I wont pretend to be able to morally weigh the value of the life of a reptile against the vaue of of the life of all of the mammals he will consume during his existance in this world. How can any of us say which of these animals deserve to live , and which deserve to die? I act according to the threat I perceive to me. Id probably have killed any that I found in my yard. These were all in the wild. There are several species of rattlesnakes, and most are not threatened or endangered. The eastern timber rattler is the only one I know of that is. The ones I killed were western diamondbacks, and pacific diamondbacks. The biggest threat to humans is not that they are aggressive, but that they often pick the worst places to lay, right next to paths and trails, and they are exteremely difficult to see, until its too late. Their venom is a hemotoxin, which means it causes bloods vessels to burst, and the bitten area will swell like a giant bruise, often doubling or more in size. They are said to be extremely painful, (I can only imagine) and sometimes can result in the loss of a limb if medical attention is delayed. Contrary to the popular myth, rattlesnake bite deaths are almost nonexistant today, and in the few cases that have occurred, the main factor was multiple bites by multiple snakes, or delaying treatment for several hours. If you get bit, and make it to a hospital within a few hours, its very unlikely you will not survive.

I left California in 1988, and there are virtually no rattlers in this part of Ohio, but the funny thing is I can be rabbit hunting or something, and kick a weed the wrong way, shake some leaves, and get that brief rattle sound, and I still jump to this day. That sound is something you never forget!

Jeb
09-26-2003, 12:52 PM

I live in Maine retard and the biggest city which I live 3 hours away from in the whole state is Portland !! Maybe during tourist season it hits 325000 people?? ....

Peace :-D

Bandit Did you even read my post. :rolleyes:

I said I believe in quick swift kills if you have to do it. That means shoot only once, which you probably dont understand, bear killer. or you cut the head off in one swipe. I also said I leave them alone out in the pasture. I've stepped over things, moved stuff, and encountered and LET GO way more rattlesnakes than I've killed.

Yes, I have 3 small children. 9, 6, & 4. My 4 year old will come get me or her mom (which believe it or not is NOT my sister or cousin) when she sees a snake. how's that for educated.

******************EDITED************************** ***********

Jeb
09-26-2003, 02:09 PM
...I left California in 1988, and there are virtually no rattlers in this part of Ohio, but the funny thing is I can be rabbit hunting or something, and kick a weed the wrong way, shake some leaves, and get that brief rattle sound, and I still jump to this day. That sound is something you never forget!

I'm with you there TimSr! The only thing more un-nerving than hearing that one sound of a rattler is hearing two or three and you cant see them! :shock:

Albino
09-26-2003, 02:12 PM
Words of wisdom .........and your a f#$%ing moderator!Keep up the good work Jebbyboy! Let me see....Inbred snakedancin',..bad.Killing those durn rattlers,...good. If your grandbrother could see you now! :-P Just funnin'

Jeb
09-26-2003, 02:29 PM
I know, I know. I probably deserve to take my medicine and be banned for it. so be it.

Albino, if I offended you or anyone else, I apologize. I will edit out my post shortly. But why should I let "bandit" come on this board and say those things when he's wrong and calling everyone who doesn't think like him ignorant? He's got 3 posts on this 3wheeler message board and not one has anything to do with trikes yet. Most serious trike enthusiasts post in the Trikesylvania forum first and introduce themselves and tell what trikes they've got. I think hes just looking for trouble.

This whole thread will be locked or deleted soon anyway.

Jeb
09-26-2003, 03:07 PM
If you hunt anything, it is killing a defenseless animal, unless you are going out with a stick and rocks to try to kill that way. using a bow/rifle/crossbow/handgun or any other "modern" weapon is not fair to the animal. A deer cannot shoot back...

Simple logic says the type of weapon is irrelevant. whether natural or man made. Hunting is killing. And no matter the method chosen, killing is killing is killing. Sure a deer cant shoot back. But can he throw rocks back at you or defend himself by beating you with a stick? Of course not. If cornered, he can only use his natural defense instincts to fight or .... run.

The human power of reasoning and problem solving IS the advantage over the animal kingdom. Not the type of weapon used, but the knowledge to actually USE a weapon. Our ability to think and reason is what makes it unfair. If anything, killing a deer with one shot from a rifle is much more humane than beating it to death with a stick or rocks, if you could get close enough to do that anywhere besides a state park.

TimSr
09-26-2003, 03:53 PM
Actually im from Maine dude... As far as your kids could get bit or your wifes?? EDUCATE them and they wont get bit and you wont have to kill uneccisaraly!

Id like to know how many venomous snakes you have encountered in Maine that would give you such expertise on the subject?

Bandit_33
09-26-2003, 06:18 PM
Not a snake expert Tim never said I was!! Ever run across a coyote or a black bear in the woods!! I have and instead of just shooting it cause I had a gun I backed off and gave it space!! Its called respecting wild animals!! They dont wanna mess with you anymore than you wanna mess with them!! Do rattle snakes run people down to bite them when they encounter a human?? No they dont! Thats all I was saying!!

To bash ones skull in for no other reason but its a rattle snake then im sorry thats just wrong!! Thats my point!

If a child is in danger or a love one then yes you have to do what you have to do?

To jump outta your truck and run over and pick up a rock just cause you see a rattlesnake is ignorant!!

Oh and yup I am from Maine but did live in Florida for a few yrs and actually I was hunting with my boss and we caught a rattler crossing the road!! I kept it as a pet for the few weeks between trips and brought him back and let him go were I found him!!

There actually a really cool animal if you got a chance to check one out like that!!

mudduck14843
09-26-2003, 11:10 PM
As far as your kids could get bit or your wifes?? EDUCATE them and they wont get bit and you wont have to kill uneccisaraly

how do you educate a 6 yr old like me that you shouldn't jump in a pile of freshly raked leaves???

this could go on as another ford chevy ,honda kawasaki, or anyother thing that people disagree on.
whats to say that that state doesn't consider that smake "legal game"?
(i don't know dut isn't it possible?and maybe they plan to eat it also you never asked him that before you started putting your .02 in did you.

hondaATCman
09-26-2003, 11:32 PM
What in the world were you thinking, killing a living breathing snake like that.... I would have messed with it first, you know get it rared up and then tortured it the worst I possibly could.

All the people who wouldn't have killed the snake...you said that it is the snake's reaction to strike and bite you. Well, what do you think human's reactions are to a deadly agressive thing that can jump like 10 times its length..that is pretty darn scary to me and I don't think I would have invited it to the next big huge tea party just because it is a living thing. Snake's reaction = bite people.....Humans reaction = kill snake before it can bite.

If a child is in danger or a love one then yes you have to do what you have to do?

To jump outta your truck and run over and pick up a rock just cause you see a rattlesnake is ignorant!!

No, jump out of your truck and kill it anyways because it will eventually end up endangering a loved one. Now if it was a little garder snake or something that is little and non poisonous, it would be a little something more to debate about, but if it can kill, kill it first. Kill them all so we can walk through the woods without looking everywhere we step. No wait, I like my rattlesnake skin boots!

3WheelHouston
09-27-2003, 05:36 AM
Okay, points to address.
1. I'm not a damn Yankee. I live in Texas.
2. A snake's striking range is about half its body length, not 10x.
3. I'm just as good at stalking deer as I am hunting them in blinds with feeders. I just do it the easy way.
4. I agree with killing or removing a dangerous snake if it's near children.
5. I wouldn't jump on anyone for killing snakes if they didn't make trailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro comments like "Come say that to my face and I'll shoot you full of BB's too." And then calling people "Wildlife conservationist wimps" because they disagree with him torturing a snake. He could have at least made a swift kill like someone else said. Then it wouldn't have bothered me so much. But he tortured the thing forever by shooting it over and over and over. The killing's not half as bad as the torture. And then he brags about it.

Lots_Of_Nothing
09-27-2003, 06:53 AM
holy crap some of you people are unbeliveable......ITS A DAMN SNAKE FOR CHRIST SAKE, WHO GIVES A CRAP.....i have lost count of how many milk snakes, and river diamonbacks i have killed, when i see one of those bastards my first reaction is..."Find big rock" then "smash on snakes head" then..."repeat",

some of you people need to suck it up and stop being suck whineasses, *cough* bandit *cough*, its a friggen SNAKE...not a damn blue whale or somthing, its a slithery poisones, nasty ass mother fu**er, GET OVER IT, get on with your life

and also, i dont give a crap WHO you are, if you see a REAL untamed coyote walk up to you in the middle of a REAL forest, you arent just gonna take a couple steps to the side....your either gonna fill that trailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro up with lead, or run like you have never ran before,

bandit i really think you are talkin crap that you know nothing about "oh yeah, i saw one crossing a road, so i went out and grabbed him and kept him as a pet" let me guess, he kept you company in those hard long nights when your away from your mommy, RIGHT? lets see,, next time i see a big ass poisoness rattlesnake crossing the road, you can guess whats gonna be going through my mind "oh lets just go grab it by the tail and throw her in a bucket" NO, im gonna swerve and splatter that disgusting thing all over the road

i know this post is probly gonna get delete, sorry billy, howdy, whoever else, i just had to get this out, i couldnt take it anymore

god...its a snake, MOVE on with your excuse for a life

Bandit_33
09-27-2003, 08:00 AM
Like I said its more of a I kiled a snake im a man attitude that I have an issue with!! The poor snaked had to die cause someone"seems most in this thread" are ignorant about wild animals!! A snake no matter what kind will not bother you unless bothered by you first or cornered!!

Yes accident do happen and like I said around the house is one thing but to just kill it cause its poisiness it ignorant and I will stand by that!!

and also, i dont give a crap WHO you are, if you see a REAL untamed coyote walk up to you in the middle of a REAL forest, you arent just gonna take a couple steps to the side....your either gonna fill that trailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro up with lead, or run like you have never ran before,

Thats bull!! That comment just show how uneducated some people are about wild animals!! Unless cornerd or being abused a wild animal will bolt the first hint of a humam 95% of the time!! Thats FACT !

Im not here to start trouble I just commeneted on how my opinion about killing a defensless animal!! I know I know its poiseness ewwwwwwww scaaarrrryyyy!!

Bunch of neanderthals! Well IQ wise anyway!

Trikeaholic
09-27-2003, 10:26 AM
well, just to add to this, the other day, the lil holic caught a big, furry caterpillar. He came in, showed it to his mother, and took it back outside, where he gently put it down on the deck railing and then smashed it flat with his fist, clad in a spiderman toy glove. I dont know about you other guys, but I had to punish him severley. Not because it was an "significant" creature that he killed, but because of the flagrant disregard for life that he displayed. I was trying to show him that killing for pleasure or no reason is wrong. I mean, he is 3 years old, whats next? kittens? puppies? other kids?? Remember that Dahmer started out torturing small animals and playing with road-kill. By the way, if there were a poisonous snake in my yard or barn or something, yes I would dispose of it too. I also would not post it on the trike board, either.

84250r
09-27-2003, 01:44 PM
well, just to add to this, the other day, the lil holic caught a big, furry caterpillar. He came in, showed it to his mother, and took it back outside, where he gently put it down on the deck railing and then smashed it flat with his fist, clad in a spiderman toy glove. I dont know about you other guys, but I had to punish him severley. Not because it was an "significant" creature that he killed, but because of the flagrant disregard for life that he displayed. I was trying to show him that killing for pleasure or no reason is wrong. I mean, he is 3 years old, whats next? kittens? puppies? other kids?? Remember that Dahmer started out torturing small animals and playing with road-kill. By the way, if there were a poisonous snake in my yard or barn or something, yes I would dispose of it too. I also would not post it on the trike board, either.

BINGO! Well said holic.

mudduck14843
09-27-2003, 02:30 PM
yes I would dispose of it too. I also would not post it on the trike board, either.

:D good point there!!!

NOT TO CHANGE THE SUBJECT BUT---
i hunt every chance i get not for the meat,that is just an extra.i hunt because i enjoy it yes it is FUN!!!i really don't care however if i don't get to shoot any thing because like i said that is an extra, and nobody here can tell me that they hunt just for the meat. BS BS BS!!!!

just think about it for a second before you got tearing my head off!!!

you need a state license we'll say $30 a year (in ny to hunt and fish all year it will cost around $68 )
then you need a gun hmmmm 12 ga. shotgun (good used one) $250
i use a 12 ga because it is an all pupose gun (birds,rabbits,deer,bear,ect.)
Then you need shells 5 12 ga slugs $2.50 I carry at minimum 2 boxes or 10 shells, not to mention the "practice or sighting in" rounds.
then if your in one of those states like ny that you have to have blaze orange
jacket (good heavy)$50
oh yea you can't forget the fancy peeps that have the binocs, scope on the gun,tree stand,bottled urine(sents),ect... you're talking another 100 bones easily(my scope was $60 i don't use the other stuff usally)

I'm sure i have missed some stuff but you'll get the picture in a minute(some it might take longer)
SO WHATS THE TOTAL roughly $400 a year to HUNT!!!
now i don't know about you folks but i can go to the grocery or meat market and buy a whole lot more meat than you get from one deer for $400.THATS IF YOU'R LUCKY ENOUGH TO HARVEST A DEER IN THE FIRST PLACE!!!!

So unless your one of these filthy rich people that have more money than they know what to do with,or one of the very very few people that eat wild game everynight for dinner ....

IF YOU SAY YOU DON'T HUNT FOR THE FUN OF IT YOUR A FU@#ING LIAR!!!
i don't care how big your gun is that i will say to anyones face!!!!

SpeedBump
09-28-2003, 01:19 AM
If you hunt anything, it is killing a defenseless animal, unless you are going out with a stick and rocks to try to kill that way. using a bow/rifle/crossbow/handgun or any other "modern" weapon is not fair to the animal. A deer cannot shoot back...

Simple logic says the type of weapon is irrelevant. whether natural or man made. Hunting is killing. And no matter the method chosen, killing is killing is killing. Sure a deer cant shoot back. But can he throw rocks back at you or defend himself by beating you with a stick? Of course not. If cornered, he can only use his natural defense instincts to fight or .... run.

The human power of reasoning and problem solving IS the advantage over the animal kingdom. Not the type of weapon used, but the knowledge to actually USE a weapon. Our ability to think and reason is what makes it unfair. If anything, killing a deer with one shot from a rifle is much more humane than beating it to death with a stick or rocks, if you could get close enough to do that anywhere besides a state park.

You totally missed the point. ALL the modern weapons are RANGED weapons. Using a rock/stick would be more than fair. Conrner a big whitetail buck with a big stick or rock. I bet the buck is the one that comes out ahead. You would have to be up close and personal to beat it to death with a stick or rock....that is my point.....shooting a Deer from 30yrds with a bow? 100yrds with a gun? Fair? I don't really care about a quick kill or not. My point was you were trying to make it sound like it is ok to hunt a deer because you were planning on eating it after the kill and it is deemed a "game" animal. That doesn't make killing a deer and different than killing a snake. Killing is killing. nothing HUMANE about killing a deer ANYWAY. (unless it was hurt and was being put out of its misery.) Killing the snake would probably have more benefits than killing the deer.

Jeb
09-29-2003, 12:27 PM
...My point was you were trying to make it sound like it is ok to hunt a deer because you were planning on eating it after the kill and it is deemed a "game" animal. That doesn't make killing a deer and different than killing a snake. Killing is killing. nothing HUMANE about killing a deer ANYWAY. (unless it was hurt and was being put out of its misery.) Killing the snake would probably have more benefits than killing the deer.

NO you missed the point. :? The whole argument I was making was whether right or wrong, IN MY OPINION there is no difference between killing a snake or deer. No creature has more or less right to live than the other, be it a "game" animal or not. I know you realize that cattle died for the steak & hamburgers you eat. Unless your vegetarian or something. What about killing cattle? Same point. Why do deer have more right to live than cattle? Why do deer have more right to die than snakes? It's a double standard depending on a person's own personal beliefs. There's no black and white, or right and wrong answer. If it's wrong to kill a rattle snake, then its wrong to kill deer and it's wrong to slaughter cattle, but you don't mind going down to the cafe and have a steak or burger. Or grill up some in the back yard. see my point here? :-D

I don't know how else to make my point that we have an advantage over animals because of our ability to think, not choice of weapon. You can kill a deer without a "conventional" weapon. Example, run him off a cliff. Our ancestors did this and it could still be done today. But then does the cliff become a weapon? Yes because a human THOUGHT to use it as one to kill a deer. That's the advantage, not the advanced technology of weapons. What if the cliff was man made? Does that make it more wrong to run one off a man-made cliff than a natural one? This is just an illustration to make a point. I personally woud still rather shoot one out right and kill it instantly than run it off a cliff where it experiences the fear of falling, then breaks it's back, legs, whatever, from the fall or slowly bleeds to death. Which brings up my next point. You should re-read my post. I didn't say it was HUMANE to kill a deer. I said it was MORE HUMANE to kill a deer (or any animal) quickly with one shot from a gun than beat it to death with a stick. Which, right or wrong, is DEFINITLY true. If you can kill it out right with one blow from a stick or rock, whats the difference between that or a gun?

Speed I think you've got me confused with "the bandit". He's the "great white hunter" saying it's ok to kill deer but not snakes. And I don't even hunt deer! :shock: But like it or not, people in this country have the right to do so.

This is just continued discussion... :-D

YamaChuck
09-29-2003, 02:15 PM
I gotta chime in here. I hunt. In fact I love to hunt. Why do I hunt? It's legal! I love venison, turkeys, rabbits, pheasants and partridge. As far as the deer(at least in this area.....Adirondacks Mtns.) The deer herd has largely moved down out of the hills to surrounding foothills and valleys. We have a major overpopulation of deer here in the St. Lawrence Valley.
The reason that the majority of the deer have left the mountains is because of the dense canopy that has developed over the mountains. This canopy has pretty much blocked the sun from reaching the forest floor. Now deer feed on certain vegetation and buds developing on new growthtrees. Basically they have eaten themselves out of there natural habitat.
So we now have this huge herd of deer in the valley where there are all kinds of new growth due to farmlands that are becoming available. (farms are folding everywhere) If the herd isn't managed they will and are quickly eating up their new range. The state realizes this and have moved to manage the herd. Years ago you could only take one deer per season. Now you can take 4 or 5 per year. Herd management! So the state uses it's hunters to manage their herd.
I'm not saying that this is a justification for hunting but it's exactly why states legalize hunting. You can't just let a herd grow, unchecked. If a herd gets too overpopulated it will end up diseased and weak. And possibly over-eat it's own range.
Everyone is debating the "ethics" of hunting but not one word on why states legalize hunting. This is why. If you don't like hunting, don't. But don't sit there and say there is no reason to hunt. That's just an uneducated opinion and nothing more. There is no "reason" needed. It's legal!!!!!!!!