PDA

View Full Version : New AR and carry pistol for me!!!!

hancadam
11-13-2010, 02:26 PM
Just bought these this past week.

The AR is a S&W M&P15 and the pistol is a Taurus slim.

The AR is all aluminum except for the barrel. The barrel is chrome lined.

Any of you have experiance with these? Anything I should know? This is my first AR. Just sold my AK, honestly didn't like it.

http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/9812/sw15i.jpg (http://img101.imageshack.us/i/sw15i.jpg/)

Mr_RPM
11-13-2010, 04:44 PM
congrats! i just got my gun too. no pics of mine yet but its just like this without the shell saddle. but i do have a similar sling
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb227/SIGERMP9/Military%20FireArms/mossbergm590a1.jpg

only have a few rounds of birdshot threw it because I'm healing from a spine surgery and need to take it easy. she did surprisingly well in some skeet for a cylinder bore 20 inch barrel. can't wait to see if I can get some nice groups with 00 buck and some slugs.

sorry no info on your AR, but i do see them on Guns & Gears on Versus and they loved it. S&W knows their s**t. Nice CC gun too. Im not much of a hand gun guy since Im under age to carry

dksix
11-13-2010, 05:45 PM
Don't store an AR with a loaded magizine and the bolt open. They can be jarred and the bolt will drop and/or the paddle bolt release is very easy to hit on something and close. That's the first thing I'd tell any first time AR owner.

MyMistress86R
11-13-2010, 06:05 PM
Let me know how you like that AR in about a year. Personally, I'd never own one not made by Colt, but that's just me.

RIDE-RED 250r
11-13-2010, 06:18 PM
^^^ that one is a Smitty, not a Colt.

Nice 1-2 punch there hancadam! I just put money down on a nrand new S@W 686. They really make a nice product, not real cheap, but great quality.

Mr_RPM
11-13-2010, 06:54 PM
^^^ that one is a Smitty, not a Colt.

thats whats he is saying. he would only want a colt and not a smith.

EDIT TO RIDE RED 250r: I did the same thing but then caught it.

wanted to edit like this rather then be a post whore. aha

RIDE-RED 250r
11-13-2010, 06:56 PM
thats whats he is saying. he would only want a colt and not a smith.

OH i see. I guess i read that wrong. What a difference a comma, or lack thereof makes....my fault...

yoyodude55
11-13-2010, 07:29 PM
:O
You can just carry that thing around on your back all day?
Wow, I wish guns were more available in Canada.

bigbadktm
11-13-2010, 08:47 PM
i wish guns like that were available in CA, I have always wanted an AR, but out here we cant have a removable magazine, so whats the point

buck
11-13-2010, 08:50 PM
Do you intend to hunt with it or just shoot it? If you plan to hunt with it I'd get rid of that front site asap. Other than that, can't go wrong with the M&P. Their standards are higher than Colt from the factory.

Have you ever seen the standards that Colt has for a gun leaving the factory? I can't remember the exact number. There was a show on a while back about it, may have been that show "How It's Made". Can't remember for sure. Anyway, the guns only had to hold something like a 4 or 5" group at 100 yds to meet minimum standards.

Most of the ARs I have access to are Bushmasters, Smiths, and Remingtons. Anything less than a 1" group at 100 yds from any of these is unusual. The Smith seems to be a tad more accurate in the ones we are using.

Buck

Mr_RPM
11-13-2010, 09:09 PM
:O
You can just carry that thing around on your back all day?
Wow, I wish guns were more available in Canada.

only the pistol can, and it must be concealed. and you need a license to do this. you must be 21 to have this and they are't the easiest thing to get but i hear very do-able. you must pass a back ground check and blah blah, basically no you can't just carry a gun around on you all the time. theres many restrictions and where you can take it and things of that nature. but once you get your licence and a good way to keep it concealed your ready to rip. but every state varies. the AR would be for home defense or hunting or just shootin at the range.

dksix
11-13-2010, 09:19 PM
I agree with Buck on the quality of Colt. Collector wise, you can't go wrong with a 6920 ect but for a shooter I'd take several of the other brands over any Colt I've ever owned. I've not own any of the S&W AR's but the quality of the old revolvers were great ( I loved model 19's and 29's I've owned ). If I'm going the spend what a Colt cost, I'll take an RRA or LMT every time.

hancadam
11-13-2010, 10:15 PM
Thanks guys. I shot it today, loved it. The Taurus shot very well also. Didn't shoot them much since I was dodging the rain.

I read a lot about all of them, and the Colt was among the favorites. The Stag, Colt, and S&W seemed to be liked the most. Probably couldn't go wrong with any of them. My buddy has a DPMS and it shoots great.

I may be joining the Sheriff's dept here, thats the main reason I bought it. Also just always wanted one. I have already passed the written test, agility test, and the board approved me.

teddcmiller
11-14-2010, 09:59 PM
The best AR I've ever shot/owned was made by Rock River, a little pricey but defintaly worth it. But the S&W is a great gun, my buddy has one and he has it dialed in real tight. Right now the main gun I shoot is my 7.62x54r m44 mosin. Nothing pretty to look at, but with todays ammo prices you can't beat $110 for 440 rounds. That and you can buy mosins for 80 to 100. But hey both guns you bought are awesome! Good shooting!

Lord Letto 20
11-15-2010, 11:38 AM
The best AR I've ever shot/owned was made by Rock River, a little pricey but defintaly worth it. But the S&W is a great gun, my buddy has one and he has it dialed in real tight. Right now the main gun I shoot is my 7.62x54r m44 mosin. Nothing pretty to look at, but with todays ammo prices you can't beat $110 for 440 rounds. That and you can buy mosins for 80 to 100. But hey both guns you bought are awesome! Good shooting!

Wow, do it fire tranquilizer darts? do it have a sight? do you have pics? for anyone who don't know, this is the Tranquilizer sniper rifle from the MGS Games! it sucks IMO that the US got more interesting guns for the public than Canada! i would like to go to a range some time and see if i could squeeze the trigger a few times, find out what recoil feels like.

300rman
11-15-2010, 12:29 PM
you could easily pick someone off at 1000 yards with a Scoped Mosin, hell, if you were a good shot, you could do it with the iron sights.......a 7.62x54R round will reach out and touch someone.....

dksix
11-15-2010, 06:14 PM
The Mosin is the rifle used in the movie Enemy at the Gates (the Russian's, the Germany's used K98's). I collected Mosin's for a number of years. I had a Finn M28 that was the most accurate open sight rifle I ever shot. I remember a place that gave away a spam can of 54R with the purchase of a case of 223. The cheap stuff is corrosive, so clean them good after you shoot it.

z400guy28
11-16-2010, 05:49 PM
I have always loved the AR 15 but there so expensive around here. Bonestock with nothing they are going for $1500.00. Thats why you see more AK's and SKS's around here.

okieRrider
11-16-2010, 06:43 PM
I have a colt Ar-15 national match upper on a dpms lower. The rifle is awesome and tack driver at that.

corndawg
11-16-2010, 08:11 PM
ive got an m91 mosin...best $89 i ever spent, mine is an all original 1937 soviet gun, original butt plate, stock, barrel, receiver, bolt ect..