PDA

View Full Version : Craigslist fraud. How to??

dcreel
11-14-2010, 01:27 PM
http://seks.craigslist.org/ctd/2054399391.html

If you find a blatant scam on craigslist, what do you do?

"This car has a fresh oil change and runs great! it also has a new timing belt, alternator belt, water pump, axles, break booster, and some other things I'm forgetting. It has ALL the interior including the hatch cover. The paint is in really good condition, the roof is faded but still looks good. I really love this car but I want something awd turbo and I already have a project car so the hatch has to go. Car will be on the steelies not the si's. this car is minty fresh and is the cleanest ef ive ever seen.
No Scammers
No Low ballers

The car is equipped with all options including cruise control, moonroof, and tilt steering.All power windows "

The guy is selling an 03 Nissan G35 for $2800. That says scam right there. Read the description.. It will be on steelies not si's. Any Honda fan knows si wheels are the 99-2000 Civic Si wheels. Not compatible with a G35. Second cleanest EF I've ever seen. An EF is a 88-91 Honda Civic. It seems he just cut and pasted the ad from a Honda Civic ad.

What do you do? Is he looking to rob someone when they come to buy the car? Just curious, do any of you know what to do? Flagging it won't remove the ad. They don't have a scam section to flag it under.

Xpress
11-14-2010, 02:06 PM
The biggest thing with Craigslist is you have to deal locally, with someone you can meet in person. I always go with 1-2 friends, so I have more eyes to spot things out, or serve as backup incase the guy gets iffy or jumpy.

To have a post looked over and removed if the flag buttons don't do anything, you can click on the help button on the homepage at the bottom of the left column, then scroll down to the general help section, and click on contact us, which will bring up a form where you can contact CL moderators directly to have an AD flagged and removed.

3wheelsinPA
11-14-2010, 02:09 PM
If this is the same type of scam I've seen with Jet Ski's that car doesn't exist. If you ask about it you'll be told you have to go through eBay because the vehicle is in the ebay shipping center in Las Vegas. But don't worry, you're covered under all the eBay protections!
Which is BS. There isn't any shipping center in Vegas and you aren't protected at all by anything. But since the price is so low a lot of people will take the chance.
http://forums.ebay.com/db2/topic/Trust-Safety-Safe/E-Bay-Shipping/520195666
http://forums.ebay.com/db2/topic/Trust-Safety-Safe/Craigslist-Scams-And/520091495

dcreel
11-14-2010, 02:50 PM
I sent craigslist an e-mail about this posting. We'll see what happens.

Thanks for the heads up Xpress for the contact info

Rotten
11-15-2010, 04:50 AM
Flag that Poo

Thorpe
11-15-2010, 01:19 PM
Dont buy it!

dcreel
11-15-2010, 01:28 PM
Dont buy it!

You mean leave it for someone else to get ripped off.. nice.. It's not me I'm worried about. It's the 20 year old kid that could possibly go somewhere to meet the supposed owner to see the car and gets robbed, shot, or who knows. It wouldn't be the first time it's happened.

mi500
11-15-2010, 02:17 PM
You mean leave it for someone else to get ripped off.. nice.. It's not me I'm worried about. It's the 20 year old kid that could possibly go somewhere to meet the supposed owner to see the car and gets robbed, shot, or who knows. It wouldn't be the first time it's happened.

they were doing that here in flint with a fake cell phone ad. my GF's cousin got his car stolen by a couple highschool punks.

dcreel
11-15-2010, 02:20 PM
I've thought about calling his bluff... So far the people at craigslist have done nothing.

xxllmm4
11-15-2010, 03:08 PM
No phone number, my guess he wants your email address to scam you later or to sell email addresses to other scammers. My guess is it would be very hard to actually give this guy any money. I have tried screwing with these kind of people before and you cant get them to actually "sell" you anything.

hang&rattle
11-15-2010, 03:08 PM
I commend you dcreel. Stand. The sad thing is, that type of scam is common practice and acceptable, sickening the moral and ethical debauchery that is overlooked anymore. So it actually makes you look funny trying to do what's right, that's ass-backwards still in my mind.

Thorpe
11-15-2010, 06:00 PM

My keyboard needs a "insert sarcasm here" key... Unfortunately there isnt a whole lot a guy can do... Reporting them, they may get shut down, but will pop up under another name... Its sick. Guess it just goes back to "buyer beware", and c.y.a. (cover your Atrailprotrailpro) When it comes to CL dealings, I always carry....

dcreel
11-15-2010, 07:25 PM
It is a scam. Here is what I sent them in an e-mail:

"I think you could have tried a little harder to scam somebody with this.. What did you do cut and paste an ad for a 1988-1991 Honda Civic?? Next time you want to rip someone off of their hard earned money you need to be a little smarter about it..

I mean si wheels on a G35?? Did you put the Honda 4/100 hubs on your G35? Wouldn't that be a downgrade? It's the cleanest ef you've ever seen?? You realize that an ef is a 1988-1991 Honda Civic?? The si wheels would fit on it too.. But you will sell it with the steelies..

Anyways.. I have contacted craigslist about your scam."

Here is what I got back:

Hello,

Thank you for your interest in buying my car 2003 Infiniti G35 is in great shape, no engine problems, damages or hidden defects. It was always garaged and never smoked in. I`m a single mother with 2 children and I have to work very hard to maintain my family. I`m selling it so cheap because I have problems with money. The price is $2,850.00. We will use eBay`s protection program for our safety.If you are interested in buying my car, e-mail me.

Details about the car:
Mileage 70,129
Title: Clear
Body Style Coupe
Engine: 6 Cylinders - gasoline
Exterior color: Black Obsidian
Interior Color Graphite
Transmission: Automatic
Drive Type 2 wheel drive - rear
VIN JNKCV54E73M225609

Thanks for your interest!

Laura Potter.

xxllmm4
11-15-2010, 07:38 PM
Yep, you just gave him exactly what he wanted, he probably made a few cents off your email selling it to other spammers.

dcreel
11-15-2010, 07:44 PM
I haven't gotten a bunch of junk e-mail yet.. I'll keep you posted.

xxllmm4
11-15-2010, 07:51 PM
See if you can get them to actually sell it to you. I honestly don't understand what some of these people want, I think its just email harvesting. Some of the attempts are so lame its comical.

rdlsz24
11-16-2010, 11:43 AM
I always flag them with the button in the upper right corner. If enough people do it they get removed. Usually goes pretty quick on my local CL

Rob

fugget1
11-26-2010, 11:17 AM
I ran into this when I was looking for a Kubota this spring. You can flag it for overposting, then search around more local areas using the E-mail address in the search bar. When you find it three or four times in different areas and flag each one it will be deleted. They change the Header, and some have pics, some do not, but it doesnt take long. I find it very hard to believe that this scam works, I always assumed people were smarter than this. Either way by the time you flag the last one it feels good, right up until you find the next one.

Mr_RPM
11-26-2010, 05:49 PM
ever try to sell something on craigslist? I get TONS of scam emails all the time when doing so. so much that i use craigslist as a last effort thing. I can't stand the website.

bigbadktm
11-26-2010, 09:09 PM
i put up an ad on craigslist and on race-dezert and got scammer emails from both sites, calling it my "off road bike"....stupid scammers

1grindking
11-27-2010, 01:18 AM
i get them idiots asking questions like "do you still have this" or "is your craigslist item still for sale" the are generic questions that they can send to alot of ppl at once thats y when i ask a seller something i ask a specific question about what it is & put key word in the subject area so they can tell i have an idea about whats for sale hope this helps some1

bigbadktm
11-27-2010, 02:42 PM
you know i never thought about that asking the generic questions, i had a lot of those and not one ever replied to me

sweetip2000
01-06-2011, 01:34 AM
If you already made the purchase and he misrepresented merchandise only then can you take action. Anything else is an assumption and is considered hear say. Every craigslist ad has a posting ID at the bottom of the ad. That posting ID is associated with the persons craigslist account. Dont expect anything from a formal craigslist complaint. They are HUGE like ebay. Employees are limited and VERY laid back cali style. LoL
Read the craigslist FAQ about fraud and dont be so click happy with flagging. If you really got burnt over on a deal there is a way to track the person down but you need to have the email they sent you. Most everyone can be tracked down with an "email header" and the craigslist posting ID. Like other peeps said. You have to be in their face and looking them in the eye or else no deal. Be careful out there. Many scams now due to the poor economy.
And sorry to say its gonna get worse !! Hang on to your trike. We are all going down man.

tri again
01-06-2011, 04:13 AM
I put up an ad for a load of gravel wanted.
1 reply said that they got 2 for their birthday and would sell me their extra one for 1/2 price.

My FAVorite, however, is amazing deals in Oalkland, Calif, luring people with lots of cash to scary neighborhoods.

Was on the news for about a week. A whole bunch o' dummies went driving around downtown Oakland, driving slow, looking lost, pockets full of cash. He^^, the cops don't even like going there.

Xpress
01-06-2011, 05:31 AM
Got the same idiot trying to contact me today. First was for tecate parts I relisted. The second was for an 04 DRZ400S (my buddies, I listed it for him), here is what it wrote to me:

"Hello, I am inquiring about your item "(insert item here)" and I would like to come down and possibly take it for a test drive. The price seems reasonable, and I can pay you in full with a check. Please respond, I would like to buy this for my son as a birthday gift."

Now these were 2 separate ads listed in different locations at different times, with the email masked. I have another email account that I never use, so I replied to its emails with thousands of spam emails :lol:

tri again
01-06-2011, 06:25 AM
you know i never thought about that asking the generic questions, i had a lot of those and not one ever replied to me

That simply confirms your email address and they get paid to sell them. (sorry)

I foreward them to :
spam@uce.gov

and either spam or abuse @ whoever is your provider
or to theirs, IF you can see it in the headers.

Also they say to Never click on the bottom of whatever to be removed from this list.
It only confirms that you exist.

Phone calls are getting the same way. Do not call list or not, they call and hang up.

If you did answer, you go into a queue for some real idiot to call at a later time.

SPOOFING is also legal.

It is a way to make your caller id say whatever you want it to,
a favorite of phone spammers