PDA

View Full Version : Sunday Harescrambles

TimSr
09-24-2003, 12:41 PM
Hey ATC, wondering if youve done anymore now that youve been bitten by the bug!

I ran Sunday, and the course now has several optional hills, where the harder hills are the shortucts. I ran alll the harder hills, had no problems, and ended up with 4th out of 7. All of my passes were on the hills or mudholes. One guy passes me in the easy parts several times, but then I kept having to go around him on the hills. He was on a Predator with Holeshots. Finally I stayed in front of him to a hill and hit it pretty fast, with him riding right on my tail. I slowed down to a slow crawl , and when I reached the top I looked back to see him stuck on the hill. Never saw him again. There was one other 250R, two YFZ450's, two z400's, and and the Predator. I got beat by both guys on YFZ's, not sure about the other one, but I think it was a Z400. This course had so much downhill off camber, that really wore me out. This is one HS course I wouldnt try to compete on the Z. TimJr pulled a 3rd in his class with his Raptor. It was great to see a kids HS course that truly was a miniaturized version of the big course.

Billy Golightly
09-24-2003, 12:44 PM
Sounds like a good race TimSr, what was the length of a lap on the course? My next HS I'm going to go to will be on the 12th of October, down in Ocala FL. I've got a few parts I want to order for my 250r between now and then like some skid plates, a twist throttle, and some other odds and ends. I have been jogging every evening for the last week and a half trying to build the racing stamina up a little bit. There is an MX Race very shortly after that HS that I'm considering entering in also, haven't decided yet though.

Wickedfinger
09-24-2003, 06:39 PM
Bill you should be lifting too to help with the arm pump (curls I would imagine) - jogging and loosing the weight is the best thing to do to feel more comfortable.

Billy Golightly
09-24-2003, 07:54 PM
Yeah I am doing arm and wrist curls as well. Not everyday like the jogging, but I am doing that some. Not really alot of weight, but reps.

Dynofox
09-24-2003, 09:54 PM
Billy you've got to do wrist curls with both hands, not just one. LOL JK :D

Tim, do any of the hare srambles you enter allow trikes? I'm sure you're quicker on the R through some of the hill / off camber sections though.

TimSr
09-24-2003, 11:03 PM
Hey ATC, I think they said they were 7 1/2 mile laps or something like that. I managed 5 laps.

Most of the arm problems come from when you are trying to hold the steering in place when your wheels are being encouraged by the ruts not to cooperate. Usuaully you are pulling on one bar, and pushing on the other. The best way to simulate it in a workout is the bench press, flat on your back, pushing stright up, but you want to use very little weight, and shoot for duration. Even better than lots of reps are to extend the weight to the position just before your elbows lock straight, and hold it there for as long as you can, rest and repeat. Then, you lie flat on your stomach, on the bench, slide the weights under the bench and do the same thing pulling them up towards you. Your bench may not let you do this, so you might have to get creative with a 2x8, and a couple of blocks or something. Wrist curls are good, but dont work all the muscles being used. A major factor in arm pump is the forearms trying to pick up the slack when the triceps are failing to do the job.

Billy Golightly
09-24-2003, 11:34 PM
Thats good info TimSr, I'll start adding those into my jogging routine. I've been doing the butterflies for a while also, those seem to work you pretty well if you do them for a while.