PDA

View Full Version : 100% all original almost always stored ridden once a year 1984 Tecate in N.J.

Meat-BoX
11-23-2010, 07:55 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1984-Kawasaki-Tecate-KXT-250-not-Honda-250r-350x-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem20b5564515QQitemZ14048 1283349QQptZATVs#ht_500wt_938

Looks nice If it is all original like it says I bet it will get nowhere near what a Honda would. Which is good for the bidders LoL

dcreel
11-23-2010, 09:38 AM
He's a member on the site and the Tecate group. He just picked that up not too long ago. It was on craigslist for a long time before he picked it up.

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/group.php?do=discuss&discussionid=241&pp=10

hang&rattle
11-23-2010, 10:14 AM
I'm pretty tickled the right 3-wheeler found me. The style, ride, and value of the Tecate fits me to a 'T'. I know alot of you KXT folk feel the same (not putting 'guys' because of dcreels family project). I'm new, but seems even die-hard honda fans are adding green to the sea of red. I am impartial like ford, chevy, dodge, all the same, just depends what you've had the best luck with with. But feel the Tecate is becoming more sought after. Been watching and the prices (and obviously parts) are becoming more pricey. And seems of all the groups, we pull together to get what we need built or fabbed. The 84' is well worth over 3 grand an would be something ridden in the yard every so often. I'd gladly pay close to that, but try not to get the 'I wants', jus' stick to what I need.:D:Bounce

Buster Brown
11-23-2010, 10:18 AM
Wow! NICE!!

HONDALUVR
11-23-2010, 11:17 AM
A SUBLIME Kawasaki is 10 times MORE SEXI than a Tomato Red Honda ... Just like the SUBLIME CUDA'S, SUPERBIRDS, and the MOPARS of the 60's and 70's ... IT'S A TEAM GREEN THING !!!

fabiodriven
11-23-2010, 11:34 AM
^^^Coming from a guy named HONDALUVR^^^

HONDALUVR
11-23-2010, 01:46 PM
Yeahhhhh .... Yeahhhhhh ... Kawasaki's are like Old Mopars ... they are hellacious performers ... but the dependability wasn't there ... and the Honda's are the Chevrolet Camaros of the day ... Dependability and Performance ... Honda's formula for success is Dependability ... Look at all Kawasaki's ... their formula for success is Overkill in Performance ... My ZX10R is tough for a litere bike ... but my buddies cbr1000rr will last forever and a day ...

dcreel
11-23-2010, 02:25 PM
I haven't had any problems with reliability with a Tecate. Keep up on regular maintenance and it will last a long time.. Well, over 20 years anyways..

fabiodriven
11-23-2010, 02:40 PM
It's always the Honda guys who say these things about Kawi's. They all say how undependable Kawi's are, how Tecates don't make any low-end power, etc etc. Funny how the guys who actually own these machines never have a complaint.

I've been on plenty of rides with guys from this site, and countless rides otherwise, and my Tecate has yet to be dragged from the woods lifeless. I've seen plenty of Quadracers dragged out, and a Tri-Z once, but it has yet to happen to me. Even when my stator went I was still able to make it home under my own power.

Fungo Wizard
11-23-2010, 03:01 PM
Why a mustang for your sublime green car?
A SUBLIME Kawasaki is 10 times MORE SEXI than a Tomato Red Honda ... Just like the SUBLIME CUDA'S, SUPERBIRDS, and the MOPARS of the 60's and 70's ... IT'S A TEAM GREEN THING !!!

hang&rattle
11-23-2010, 03:56 PM
I'm just the opposite, my honda's have been nothin' but a pain in the @$$ for me leaving me stranded and breaking down, money pits. That's why we are so interested in Kawasaki's. I mean wtf was honda thinking on some of the engineering and design? And because of the rarity of the 3 wheeled Kawasaki's it is harder to find parts, less produced and on the trail, where as lots of honda's, they were 80% of the 3-wheeler sales in the 80's, so more doesn't mean more dependable just more on the road. Here's something- I believe dcreel is still on the same 25 year old stator, I think fabiodriven and my self are still on the same cylinder never having it bored. My Tecate has been a regular on the dunes in Pismo for 25 years, you know how many miles have been put on my Tecate as weekend warrior?, that's amazing. And I hate chevy's, pure junk, I have had more luck with Dodges, my chevy truck has left me stranded many times, never in my Dodge, lol.

fabiodriven
11-23-2010, 10:20 PM
I think fabiodriven and my self are still on the same cylinder never having it bored.

That is true.

cattle-dog
11-23-2010, 10:37 PM
i have red, green and yamaha and luv them all, have never been stranded by any of them but they are properly rebuilt and maintained. i build all my own stuff no one touches my trikes, same go`s for my trucks and cars i drive old stuff of all makes.

HONDALUVR
11-24-2010, 11:03 AM
I have the same bike a 1984 Tecate in SUBLIME GREEN ofcourse ... I love the bike ... the bottom end is a little soft ... and I have only ever had 1 problem with it ... the weights slung out of the flywheel and I understand that to be a common problem ... I think the guy who fixed it used a KX250 flywheel ? Not sure tho ... but the bike absolutely rips from midrange to top end ... it has a what back in the day was called a Paul Turner Power Pipe ... and it has an extended powder coated WestCoast swinger ... I have had the bike since 1987 ... I bought it from the original owner for $1000.00 it originally cam from Leo's Kawasaki in Memphis Tennessee on Summer Avenue ... I have one more problem with it too ... and It drives me crazy ... the tank is a dark brown now ... I have buffed it with steel wool and everything I can think of ... still it lightens up a little but always go back to brown ... I am also still on the stock bore and original piston and rings ... It still runs good but is starting to buzz quite a bit ... but I only ride it once a year if that ... I got my first personal loan from the bank and it was the second Race Atv I bought ... My first was a 1987 LT250R SUZUKI QUADRACER ... When I got the QUADRACER I thought it was bad ! I was the only guy around with a race quad ... I got my azz spanked by my buddy Don on his 1986 ATC 250R ... he was about 50 pounds lighter ... and he took off in second gear and I took off in first ... It was never a race ... I loved that old Suzook ... but my ATC 250R, and my Tecate are still my favorites ...

HONDALUVR
11-24-2010, 11:05 AM
Why a mustang for your sublime green car?

Now ... how bout a 1970 Sublime Hemi Cuda ... Yeahhhh that's the Ticket !!!

fabiodriven
11-24-2010, 11:43 AM
Good story Hondaluvr. The LT250R is actually a Quadracer, not a Quadsport. Not a big deal, they're just two different animals.

HONDALUVR
11-24-2010, 12:47 PM
Yeah, mystype ... I loved the yellow and gold and the blue striping of if ... it was kinda odd at the time to ride a bike that when you were astraddle of it you had the front fenders in plain view since I was used to riding 3-wheelers ... the lt250r was a great ride but sustantially heavier than the atc's ... It was dead on reliable tho ... never a hitch ... but nothing ever matched the reliability of my ATC 250R ... WHICH IS BONE STOCK TILL THIS DAY ... ON STD BORE ... AND original topend ... I still hate keeping different fuels around for the TECATE wich is 32:1 and the ATC 250R which is 20:1 ... I guess it's a jetting difference or something ...

Dirtcrasher
11-24-2010, 05:45 PM
Wow, very nice machine. It's worth about where the bids are at now.

We'll see what happens!

mxnick
11-27-2010, 10:02 PM
That thing is starting to get to nosebleed pricing - at least for an older T3....

hang&rattle
11-27-2010, 10:21 PM
That thing is starting to get to nosebleed pricing - at least for an older T3....

It's worth minimum, $3500, probably much more for a mint 3-wheeler, did you just read through the thread partner? '- at least for an older T3....':confused:

mxnick
11-28-2010, 01:39 AM
It's worth minimum, $3500, probably much more for a mint 3-wheeler, did you just read through the thread partner? '- at least for an older T3....':confused:

I did, yes - and I didnt see much in the thread that spoke to or quoted any other sales that would establish a relative price. But, I do have ADD and i might have missed something... That said, the auction listing is for one nice looking machine. I just have not seen an older T3 go for that valuation - but i must also say that is the cleanest older style (pre '86) that I have ever seen. I also do not follow Tecate sales that closely so my opinion is not fully qualified as a Tecate expert...regardless, whoever gets that machine will have a nice trophy bike for sure, and i wish i had the cabbage to put it in my stable...

buck
11-28-2010, 01:56 AM
I'm no expert by any means, but I feel the pricing it is at now is more than fair IMO. If it went a little higher I still wouldn't see that being out of line. That's a beautiful machine by my standards.

Buck

hang&rattle
11-28-2010, 12:04 PM
I did, yes - and I didnt see much in the thread that spoke to or quoted any other sales that would establish a relative price. But, I do have ADD and i might have missed something... That said, the auction listing is for one nice looking machine. I just have not seen an older T3 go for that valuation - but i must also say that is the cleanest older style (pre '86) that I have ever seen. I also do not follow Tecate sales that closely so my opinion is not fully qualified as a Tecate expert...regardless, whoever gets that machine will have a nice trophy bike for sure, and i wish i had the cabbage to put it in my stable...

Sorry, my thread as I look at it I suppose can come off as brash, sorry. I really, I mean, really love my A2, the absolute perfect machine for me.

dcreel
11-28-2010, 09:59 PM
$4600 and didn't hit the reserve. I have to admit I didn't think it would get that high.. I wonder if it was really for sale??

rasorroad250r
11-30-2010, 01:56 PM
It gets kinda funny at these high prices. I think many of us like to think our trikes are rare and made of gold or something, until we want to buy one. I love these things to ride as my daily riders. I don't have quads or dirt bikes. I would love a nice tecate like that but I'd ride it, whip it and then it's another $1500.00 Tecate. I guess a collector might want it and keep it nice but if I had 4 or 5 grand to spend I'd keep saving for a TPC.

dcreel
11-30-2010, 02:18 PM
I'd have to agree with you. I wouldn't mind having a TPC someday.