PDA

View Full Version : Any RV guys on here? Leaky coach advice needed.

fabiodriven
11-24-2010, 04:41 PM
So I just looked at a 92 Coachmen class C motorhome. It's very affordable, but for good reason.

It has had a leak over the driver's seat (on the overhang) for quite some time. The wood frame has extensive damage and the exterior vinyl appears to be warped as well. I know that these particular units are prone to this kind of damage because I have seen it before and anybody who is familiar with motorhomes seems to have heard about this problem with this particular Coachmen coach.

I am unsure if it's too much of a project for me and I am looking to see if any of you guys have experienced this before.

Thanks guys.

fabiodriven
11-24-2010, 05:49 PM
Well, I just found some great info on what I'm dealing with here. It pretty much answered every question I had. Here it is if anybody is interested. Looks like quite the undertaking... Got some spare time Steve? :lol:

http://www.wanderlust.theozarkerr.com/Pumpkin%20Patch/Pumpkin%20Patch%201.asp

I might add that mine is actually worse...

Dirtcrasher
11-25-2010, 12:53 AM
Looks like our Glamis mobile :D

C'mon, we can fix anything..............

Bring it on buy or give me a yell - Happy Turkey Day!

Rawlins350x
11-25-2010, 08:39 AM
Fabio, I'm not an expert by any means at fixing Rv leaks, however, I took on a huge project at the beginning of summer. 77 dodge RV that has been sitting for 3 years. I picked it up for 200 bucks off of a buddy (who's nephew had pressure washed the roof trying to clean it, and blew out ALL of the seals). I gutted a lot of the inside to check the damage, replaced/framed out what needed it. when I was done with all of the structure work I then got on the roof. The eterna-bond works wonders on the roof seals.

I ran the eterna-bond along any seams, skylights, vents, AC units, etc. The key to that stuff is you have to have the surface really clean, and I also recommend the eterna-bond primer. After the eterna-bond I used this metallic silver roofing paint and went over the entire roof (3 coats this roof was horrible).

After a few rains and I was sure there were no more leaks, I finished the inside. Like I said, I'm no expert, but I will recommend the eterna-bond brand. It's expensive, but gets the job done.
Good luck on the project!

Lew

fabiodriven
11-25-2010, 11:40 AM
Thanks for the reply Rawlins, but after consulting some of my associates we have decided it is just too much work. I am going to keep looking for something in not so rough shape. You're off the hook Steve!