PDA

View Full Version : Anyone at MMI Phoenix?

Swanny224
11-26-2010, 09:20 PM
Anyone on this site go to MMI Phoenix? Every time I mention Three Wheelers everyone turns into a hater. Haha. Especially the BMW instructor, you guys should hear him. But if there's anyone that goes to the school, good job choosing UTI over Wyotech. :beer

code200k
11-26-2010, 09:40 PM
ive looked into the florida branch and have not seen or heard one good review yet

Swanny224
11-26-2010, 09:52 PM
Well if you are really into the industry then I would definitely recommend MMI. Wyotech can tell you whatever they want to and what you want to hear, but they are NOT sponsored by any of the manufacturers. They say they have Ducati but they have one, maybe two, test engines to work on. If you go to MMI you can be sponsored by Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Suzuki, Harley, or BMW. Whatever you want to take. But BMW requires you to have a 96% average all the time and have 95% attendance rate or you can't et in. No I am not a promoter.

code200k
11-27-2010, 01:36 PM
see the recruter came to my house and his whole speech seemed like one big sale speech.And all the atv dealerships i talked to about it said they wont hire people from mmi.I was really looking to go but dont wanna waste 30 grand

Mr_RPM
11-27-2010, 02:32 PM
alot of guys coming from MMI come into my local dealer (dad is head tech there) and most of them don't know enough to keep the job and either get transfered over to a needed department if they want or are cut. I know of only 1 successful MMI guy. Hes pretty good too. Im not sure if its the school or just alot of posers.

trikes4life
11-27-2010, 08:14 PM
I had/have the chance to go to AMI or MMI. I still want to go when i get my life straighten out. but i heard Washtenaw community college is a good school too, i want to look into.

Mr_RPM
11-27-2010, 09:49 PM
I had/have the chance to go to AMI or MMI. I still want to go when i get my life straighten out. but i heard Washtenaw community college is a good school too, i want to look into.

I heard that too, and im like 30 mins away. But I know to many people who are mechanics and see how under payed they can be for the amount of work they do. Its a hard job. so thats what is keeping me away.

KASEY
11-27-2010, 10:03 PM
A GOOD FRIEND OF MY KIDS GOES TO MMI,, dustin nelson,, great kid!! very smart too

code200k
11-28-2010, 12:17 AM
A GOOD FRIEND OF MY KIDS GOES TO MMI,, dustin nelson,, great kid!! very smart too

yes but how does he like the school?Im ready to go just dont want to waste 30 grand like i said.ps Kasey your sig and user title are killer,that has been my ringtone since late summer!

Swanny224
11-28-2010, 04:39 AM
It's a great school, I love it, there are a lot of worthless bums though. It's pretty ridiculous.

KASEY
11-28-2010, 11:01 AM
i am pretty sure he likes it,, i have not heard a negitive thing about the school.. just the students he has a thing or 2 to say about. BUT the way i see it. it matters not about the school... it matters how YOU use the tools presented to you by the school. if your looking to be a career student i say get a life! if you are really going to apply yourself and forget about all the distractions wade through the crap and get a good education then go and get it........ today jobs are tough... unskilled labor pools are overflowing with uneducated masses. so in order to rise above the norm,, get educated and stand out, sit on your hands or get out there and use them .. your choice!!!!

code200k
11-28-2010, 11:30 PM
like I said I really would love to get a formal education in motorcycle mech. And Im ready to start now lol,but this is really the only good review ive seen about it. not calling you guys out or nothing,just trying to get info

MTS
11-29-2010, 12:34 AM
I wouldn't mind hearing from someone that has been there. I went to Our school up here For a semester, Learned a lot....More than i can remember at any given time. and its a 4yr course....two 8 week courses then two six week ones IIRC....to get a Journeymen ticket...Working on everything from a Suzuki to a Harley...With a dyno...Tools ect...Just wondering what its like there??

NINJA
11-29-2010, 02:55 AM
I'm a graduate of MMI, from a decade ago. I worked in a motorcycle shop 4 years prior to that. When I took the scholarship test, I placed high enough that half my tuition was paid for right from the start. I wouldn't have been able to place that high if I hadn't already had the knowledge I needed from working at the shop alongside a master mech. The training is definitely worth the money. Almost every dealer or shop I've worked for in the past would only hire MMI grads. Nowadays, I won't hire anyone that isn't an MMI grad either. Incidentally, those shops were also the ones with the best reputations in their towns. Many people are decent mechs but don't carry factory backed certifications, good luck furthering your career and making respectable paychecks without certifications. Personally, I get a good chuckle out of all the trailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro-talkers and their "opinions" about MMI. From what I've observed over the years, all the people out there that like to trash on that school either, (1) couldn't afford it or get accepted, (2) didn't make it through the first 6 weeks of theory from lack of drive and patience, and (3) weren't meant to be career techs in the first place.
Don't expect to come out of there and make the big money right off the bat. No amount of money can buy experience. Usually you start out as a shop monkey at 10 to 12 an hour and work your way up from there. If you're a smartass and know-it-all, most master techs will make it their goal to make you so miserable that you will quit in the first couple weeks. Or, the rookie ineptitude will show itself when they cost the shop a couple grand because they forgot to tighten an oil drain plug. We deal with enough assholes as it is, we don't need one in the service dept too, especially some 18-19 year old kid who can't handle pressure and always has to get the last word. Nowadays all I have to say is, "seeya later trailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotr ailpro!"
You know how I can tell an MMI grad from a wannabe "mechanic" without asking to see their certificates? By their diagnostic procedures. Anybody can swap out parts, not many can tell you why that part failed in the first place and how to prevent that from happening again. Every person that I've encountered face to face so far that talks trash on MMI, has never been there or is repeating something they heard from someone else.
Is every grad from MMI good tech material? NO. In all honesty only about 10 out of each class have the right stuff and stick to it. Then again, that's not much different than somebody coming out of Harvard or MIT. So there you go, some feedback from someone who has actually been there, graduated, and made a career out of the knowledge they obtained.