PDA

View Full Version : Ebay rules and regs

dcreel
11-29-2010, 08:42 PM
I just won an auction for something worth a lot more than the amount I won it at. Am I protected in any way if the seller decides not to send it? I have already paid through Paypal. Can the seller just decide he screwed up and refund my money? What is my course of action if this happens? Is he obligated to send me the item that I have won?

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. The first time this item was up for sale on Ebay it didn't hit the reserve. This time no reserve and my winning bid wasn't anywhere near his Buy it now price.

Wondering what my options are if this goes south...

Do you guys have any opinions on this..?

Billy Golightly
11-29-2010, 09:00 PM
I've been through this before. He can refund your money and then you can file a "Non-selling seller" dispute with ebay. He will get a slap of the wrist and you'll be into it a whole bunch of headache. Just a heads up.

Dirtcrasher
11-29-2010, 09:28 PM
He may just let it go, being tired of listing it.........

NINJA
11-30-2010, 03:45 AM
There's still a few good sellers out there. Last year I bid on a fully polished Dave Moore Racing race/play cylinder on only it's second overbore. I bid up to $160 and didn't meet reserve. Then a couple of days later I get a second chance Buy It Now offer of $30. Naturally I bought it. I get an email from the seller an hour later and he tells me he made a mistake with that listing and he's pissed this happened. I asked if we still had a deal. He replied, he would honor the auction and the deals done. I got the cylinder a week later, best $30.00 I've ever spent!

dcreel
11-30-2010, 06:14 PM
Like I didn't see this coming..

"Sorry But Im not sure how this happened but i will find out. This was a buy it now for 300.00 nothing less. I can refund your money or I can reduce it to 250.00 not 26.00 dollars.. Iam vary sorry for the confussion.."

Mosh
11-30-2010, 06:53 PM
Ebay is a shithole anymore.

Buster Brown's auction proved that with all the douchebag replies people left.
The problem is every damn idiot has a phone or PC anymore. Most of them can't even put there pants on succesfully in the 1st attempt or walk and chew gum at the same time.
But yet, they can post a auction and screw up the numbers or screw with the system.

IMO, Ebay should ditch the stinking BIN's and let people bid. Set your reserve and be done.

rdlsz24
11-30-2010, 06:57 PM
"Iam vary sorry for the confussion.."

duh, hookd on fonics worked for me!

Rob

dcreel
11-30-2010, 07:22 PM
I really don't know what to do.. If he refunds my money.. I can't give him negative feedback because he'll just hit me with negative feedback. Even though I've done nothing but use Ebay as it is intended. Should I open a case? Would it even be worth it?

I bid at the very end of the auction, I was the 2nd bidder. The 1st bidder was at .99 since the auction started. There was a Buy it Now. How did the seller not know there was an option for straight bidding when there was a bid almost immediately upon the auctions start? In the black and white world I live in if you screw up you you handle it. Apparently Ebay doesn't feel the same way.

300rman
11-30-2010, 09:06 PM
I really don't know what to do.. If he refunds my money.. I can't give him negative feedback because he'll just hit me with negative feedback. Even though I've done nothing but use Ebay as it is intended. Should I open a case? Would it even be worth it?

Open a case and bother him. You wont get your item, he can just say he dropped it and it broke. But you CAN pester him.

and NO he CANNOT leave you negative feedback. Sellers cannot leave buyers negative feedback anymore.

IMO, Ebay should ditch the stinking BIN's and let people bid. Set your reserve and be done.

I Disagree. when I NEED something, i almost always BIN, i rarely use auctions.

200x350xtriz250
11-30-2010, 09:10 PM

Unless something has changed recently, sellers can not under any circumstance leave negative feedback for a buyer, so you are safe there. Open a case for sure - but it will not do much. If I were you and he doesn't send the part, I'd leave him negative feedback and add him to your blocked bidder list so he can't buy something from you just to leave you a negative. Good luck.

NINJA
11-30-2010, 09:56 PM
Doug, PM me if you want to learn how to get even with a dishonest seller.

Maico
12-01-2010, 03:00 AM
Doug...aren't you jumping the gun a bit?? You just won the auction. You've paid the guy....now let's see if you receive the item.

I know...you got 1 hell of a deal on something the seller hasn't a clue about and you want in your hands BEFORE he figures it out.

Relax....worst case scenario?? He keeps your $$$ and your part. Best case scenario?? You get your part as paid for.

Forget the "binding contract" crap E-Bay claims. The Ebay police aren't gonna force the guy to sell it to you.

NINJA
12-01-2010, 03:23 AM
Doug got an email from the guy hours ago telling him there was a "mistake", hence my response to Doug. Yup, another reason to lose faith in humanity.

dcreel
12-01-2010, 03:25 AM
Doug...aren't you jumping the gun a bit?? You just won the auction. You've paid the guy....now let's see if you receive the item.

I know...you got 1 hell of a deal on something the seller hasn't a clue about and you want in your hands BEFORE he figures it out.

Relax....worst case scenario?? He keeps your $$$ and your part. Best case scenario?? You get your part as paid for.

Forget the "binding contract" crap E-Bay claims. The Ebay police aren't gonna force the guy to sell it to you.

He already contacted me, he sent me this

"Sorry But Im not sure how this happened but i will find out. This was a buy it now for 300.00 nothing less. I can refund your money or I can reduce it to 250.00 not 26.00 dollars.. Iam vary sorry for the confussion.."

NINJA
12-01-2010, 03:30 AM
My offer still stands, if you're feeling like fighting fire with fire.

dcreel
12-01-2010, 03:34 AM
I think I'm going to send him a message to refund my money plus a fee for yanking my chain. Stay tuned..

Maico
12-01-2010, 04:20 AM
He already contacted me, he sent me this

Ah...I see. I thought that was a forsight.

Yeah....The seller anticipated it would go for much higher and wasn't around to yank the auction before it ended...which a lot of 'em do. E-Bay won't do much as they get their fees from sellers...not buyers. They don't give a chit if he screwed up the listing or not. Auction ended with a bid so they...E-Bay...gets paid. Now...since you paid with PayPal...you'll get your $$$ back.

Maico
12-01-2010, 04:21 AM
Care to send us the link to the auction??

xxllmm4
12-01-2010, 06:56 AM
Ever think he may have made an honest mistake? But yeah you should try and extort money out of him first LOL

hang&rattle
12-01-2010, 09:04 AM
This is good information to learn from. I have had excellent sellers so far, down to earth folk. But every time I go on there, every transaction, I wonder- 'is this the time I get screwed?'. If this is a good person, would hate to see something done wrong by him, however, sounds a little greedy. IMO if someone is selling something, and they think it's gold and it doesn't sell for nearly that much, isn't that a hint? If you miss a bid on a job site, you have to eat the loss. This can't be this dudes only item. Morally and ethically he should eat his mistake, if the part's off a trike i.e., he probably didn't pay that much for the whole thing so: win some and lose some.

dcreel
12-04-2010, 04:38 AM
Alright guys.. got my refund.. Here's the auction...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150523748853&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT

coolpool
12-04-2010, 07:21 AM
Sorry to hear about the "mistake". That would have been the deal of the century had you pulled it off. Sweet paint jobs.

200x350xtriz250
12-05-2010, 01:58 PM
I see no negative feedback - that is a shame. It is no wonder so many people get ripped off on ebay - no one excersises their right to leave proper feedback when a seller screws them. IMO - this was as simple as the seller was trying to avoid ebay fees and so he CHOSE to not add a reserve. Then when it didn't sell for what he wanted, says oops my bad so sorry and you let him off the hook. Chances are he got his listing fees refunded to - so he is basically rewarded for this. That is a shame.

dcreel
12-05-2010, 02:26 PM
I see no negative feedback - that is a shame. It is no wonder so many people get ripped off on ebay - no one excersises their right to leave proper feedback when a seller screws them. IMO - this was as simple as the seller was trying to avoid ebay fees and so he CHOSE to not add a reserve. Then when it didn't sell for what he wanted, says oops my bad so sorry and you let him off the hook. Chances are he got his listing fees refunded to - so he is basically rewarded for this. That is a shame.

Here is the problem I see with leaving negative feedback.. I could.. I still can.. The problem with that is that he's going to leave me negative feedback too. Although I have done nothing wrong. I did get a refund for the money I sent him, and I got some more on top of it. I guess from now on when I see a good deal on Ebay.. I'll contact the seller to see if he really means to sell it or not. :lol:

dcreel
12-05-2010, 02:29 PM
Shows how much paying attention I have done in this thread. So the seller can't leave me negative feedback? Doesn't that kind of tie a sellers hands behind his back? hmm..

fmnrd
12-05-2010, 03:01 PM
Doug , the guy has feedback of 5 which means he is new to Ebay .I would tend to think this was a honest mistake on his part .Yes you can leave him a negitive feedback and he can not leave negitive on you "just because" Ebay changed that rule about 2 years ago along with seller fees ,that is why so many sellers have bailed on Ebay .I think if you want that tank and fender set ,which by the way would be way cool on your Johnson Frame you should email the seller and tell him would would still like to purchase the parts at ,whatever you are willing to pay. If you are willing to give 150.00 for them offer that .Let him know you realize he is new to ebay and don't want to ruin his feedaback so you would like to offer "x " amount which is "x" more than you won the auction for and "x " more than any other buy bid on it .I would think even at 150.00 that you are getting a steal !Can only imagine what somebody payied to have that painted? Good luck

yooperman
12-05-2010, 03:14 PM
Yeah febay is getting lil shady now a days! I've been noticing I get nervous now when I buy things, even little cheap things. Ever since I got burnt on a curtis sparks ported and polished head for a 350x, I still get mad because I could really use it now.now when I buy somthing I'm in constant contact through email, even small items. Atleast you got refunded and not totally burnt. Honest people are getting to be smaller numbers in this era, peoples word are starting to get hard to trust.

hang&rattle
12-05-2010, 03:37 PM
Doug , the guy has feedback of 5 which means he is new to Ebay .I would tend to think this was a honest mistake on his part .Yes you can leave him a negative feedback and he can not leave negative on you "just because" Ebay changed that rule about 2 years ago along with seller fees ,that is why so many sellers have bailed on Ebay .I think if you want that tank and fender set ,which by the way would be way cool on your Johnson Frame you should email the seller and tell him would would still like to purchase the parts at ,whatever you are willing to pay. If you are willing to give 150.00 for them offer that .Let him know you realize he is new to ebay and don't want to ruin his feedback so you would like to offer "x " amount which is "x" more than you won the auction for and "x " more than any other buy bid on it .I would think even at 150.00 that you are getting a steal !Can only imagine what somebody paid to have that painted? Good luck

This is a very good and neutral point. He did make a honest mistake, but in all honesty, you are a friend and I will lean toward your cause. None the less, if this gentleman wants to be a good seller on e-bay and to make extra cash for his efforts, the old fashioned customer service still applies. It's not blackmail, he needs to be responcible for his mistake, and that means working with you Doug for a fair price. The consequence for this seller not righting a wrong will be negative feedback right off the bat for his e-bay store. Even if he takes $150 as mentioned before, I'll bet he will still get a profit, just won't make bank as he was hoping, but will build a good reputation for better profit in the future. If I am suggesting bad addvice fellas let me know, want to make sure my ethics are in tact in saying this.-Robby

dcreel
12-05-2010, 03:58 PM
I can see the sellers point of view as well.. What I don't understand is.. to believe him the auction I won was to be a Buy it now only at $300. He has posted these for sale before Buy it now or bid with a reserve. They have never hit the reserve in 2 previous auctions. This auction I won had 1 bid (no reserve) at 1.00 from the day he posted the auction. Am I to believe he never looked at the auction after he posted it? If I started an auction selling an item I would be damn sure the auction was the way I wanted it after I started it. He had at least 6 days to see that the auction had a $1.00 bid on it that negated his buy it now if it went all the way to the end. If I wouldn't have thrown a $100 bid at the last. The other guy would have won it at a $1.. I see that he could have screwed up the auction when he posted it.. But I have a problem believing he didn't know that someone was about to win the auction at $1. I too feel that not enough people take responsibility when they gack something up. It just makes me wary that now I'm supposed to proof read a sellers auction now, and alert them to the fact that I as the buyer am about to get one hell of a deal.. Where does the responsibility start and end??

200x350xtriz250
12-05-2010, 04:07 PM
Maybe this was a honest mistake maybe not...negative feedback would be pretty harsh but not way out of line. Listing something on ebay is not rocket science - everything is explained pretty well. In this case maybe neutral would be best - but I would not give positive feedback or no feedback at all. If you're pissed and think it was done on purpose - negative. If you think it was a honest mistake or want to give him the benifit of the doubt - neutral. Just my opinion. Obviously it is your deal, your call.

hang&rattle
12-06-2010, 09:34 AM
I agree with everyone, but I spose' I am bias. Dcreel should have these fenders in his possession, and being a nice guy about it won't get him chit. The seller is a business man of sorts, and must eat his loss as it's obvious he will not get the profit he wants by his greed. He needs to sell the fenders to Doug for a cheap price, that's honest, or folks need to know he is not auctioning fairly.

oldskool83
12-06-2010, 09:54 AM
I dont even bid on auctions with reserves, i feel normaly they want too much and ill find it elseware cheaper. hope it pans out good for ya. i never sell on there, only buy.

fmnrd
12-07-2010, 03:01 AM
Doug , just wondering what would you have payied for the them if a bidding war would have started ? I know it is the holiday season so money is tight for most so maybee I should ask what do you think they are worth ?Have you asked him to sell them to you for a price you are comfortable paying ? If he ran the auction before he may want somebody like you that has a interest in them to have them for a fair price .Don't hurt to ask . Definatly don't leave him feedback of any kind before you try and work it out .

dcreel
12-07-2010, 03:17 AM
Honestly, I have my eggs in quite a few baskets with a Tecate, and a Tri-zinger build going on. I thought I could get them for cheap and it bit me. I like the look and paint job, just not enough to pay what he's asking. Even though it is probably worth the money he's asking. I really don't trust the guy at this point, and with some of the words I've sent his way when he wouldn't answer my messages.. I'm pretty sure it's a done deal.

If all else fails, they've been around this long.. they'll probably be around longer..

Ironbnder
12-07-2010, 03:23 PM
Why does some people here think the seller should sell these $300 parts for $26 just to be a upstanding guy? If he made a mistake, he should refund the money and maybe say he is sorry. Was Dcreel realy out anything but some aggrivation? And the $26 for a few days. What if you made a mistake on Ebay? Would you let your $300 parts go just to save face? Judge Judy would only reward back what you were finacially out. No pain and suffering over E-bay. Give him Neutral feedback and explain that he did not follow through.

dcreel
12-07-2010, 03:43 PM
Seller assumes all responsibility for this listing

Guess where I got that?? Right on the listing I won. Not only that but when I won the auction, and paid for the item in question. I concluded my end of the contract. I find it hard to believe (having watched Judge Judy quite a bit) that Judge Judy would let him out of his end of the completed contract because he "screwed up" On second thought who needs personal responsibility?? We should let every seller on Ebay pull out of their completed auctions because they didn't get enough money..

You aren't by chance, a democrat are you?

NINJA
12-07-2010, 03:47 PM
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I agree 100%

Ironbnder
12-08-2010, 10:52 AM
Not at all a Demacrat. I go to work everyday just like most of us here, so we can pay for some looser to sit on his porcher and drink 40's all day. -BUT I understood this to be a new inexperienced seller that made a dumb mistake. Not someone trying to pull a scam or that just pulled out because he did not get enough money for his parts.

cr480r
12-13-2010, 08:58 PM
its ebay.. and its an auction. if you won than you won.. his loss your gain.. I have won two items super rediculously cheap. the first one was a v-force reed cage for a cr250 that was mis-titled. I won for .99 but sent the dude $20 to ease his pain. Yes he wanted to relist, and i coulda forced him to sell, but i couldnt do it. The second item I stole was an ftz drag pipe that had no reserve and was listed as "tacati".. 9.99 only bidder...and he miscalct the shipping too.. I sent the guy $100 bucks so that i could sleep at night. If I had won those fenders and the dude told me to send $250 which was almost his buy now of $300.. He woulda got $75 bucks and a hard learned lesson... thats what he gets for parting out trikes...Newbie or not seller assumes all responsibilties for the listing...