PDA

View Full Version : New Truck Advice

Macs
12-01-2010, 08:03 PM
It seems everytime i am looking to buy a new vehicle i post here somewhere along the way. So this time i figured i would start here.

I no longer like the Altima i bought in 2008 and i am sick of borrowing the wifes expedition and towing a trailer everytime i want to ride. I am still driving 100 miles through downtown Houston everyday so gas mileage plays a part. I would also want something that could tow an RV ( which is the top of my wishlist) and seat the family ( kids are 4,5 and 1). Also i need to add that price is a huge factor. I know, i know, i am asking for the undoable but i have not bought a truck since 99 and i am not sure what is out there, the best trims, the best prices, etc. I am willing to give on some things just would like to know your input.

By the way, i will sale the Altima at trade in value if anyone is interested?

skypilot
12-01-2010, 08:33 PM
Hey Mac, nice to see someone else in east texas, i live in lufkin texas! I know some of the new GM trucks have a V8 that runs on just 4cyl at cruuising speeds, so mpg is better. If your towing or passing, its picks up all 8cyl. Pretty cool, i don't have one but have seen them. One of these in a crew cab would fit the family, it all depends on how big the rv is! BTW what trikes do you own?

Macs
12-01-2010, 08:41 PM
That is the info I need. Now that you mention it I think I have heard something about that. Trikes I own? Cagivas, mugens, tigers etc. If you want to see pics do a search, I am sure there all here. What part of tx are you from?

skypilot
12-01-2010, 09:10 PM
I'm from Lufkin texas, which is about 1hr 45mins north of Houston on hwy 59

tecat-z
12-01-2010, 09:14 PM
If you do plan on towing, a V8 is mandatory. Big enough for a family of 4-5 you say, a crew cab is again necessity, and i hope you consider buying a domestic too. Dodge, ford and GM make sweet crew cab 1/2 ton trucks , but will all cost alot considering your description. If you don't need 4WD don't get it. It adds alot of initial cost, and long term fuel consumption will always be higher. Dodges 5.7 is a very strong engine with cylinder deactivation, but still has a big thurst for fuel. Ford has recently given up on the 5.4 and 4.6 engines in favor of all new engine lineups. So, none of the new engines have any sort of track record. "5.0 and 6.2 for 1/2 tons." 4.6's were good and reliable, but always lacked truck torque for towing, and the 5.4 had chronic problems with spitting plugs, and the later 3valve engines were very bad on gas, as were the earlier version. We have many of them at my work. Gm's 5.3 engine is a proven engine that dates back to 99 and has a much better than average reputation for reliability, and is a leader in fuel effieiency. Plus a great powertrain warranty. High horsepower and torque always look great on paper, but will always end up costing you more money when it's not necessary. Any of the new trucks will do a great job of what you are asking. GMC has $4500 cash back on new trucks which is a heck of a lot, so be sure to stay on top of incentives. They make a huge diff. New trucks are so much more capable than trucks from just 15 years ago it's amazing. Brakes, handling, and overall performance is great stuff. The only real problem with a crew cab 1/2 ton is the bed really gets small, and impractical for hauling anything substantial. But you have suburban like seating. I'm afraid you have some difficult choices to make.

Macs
12-01-2010, 09:25 PM
I figured an ext cab would be enough. The kids are small and will probably spend minium time in them.

Also ford has 5500 off so i will check them out and dodge also. Never owned a chevy.

Skypilot, do you have any good riding areas near you? Since Cherokee closed in Milan I have been stuck except for Crosby which is far from Trike friendly.

Lord Letto 20
12-01-2010, 09:32 PM
if i had the cash, i would get the new Chevy silverado HD and get a 5th wheel to tow trailers like in the TV Ads, i don't think a big rig Licence would be needed for that right?

skypilot
12-01-2010, 09:36 PM
yes, Shiloh ridge in alto texas, about 20 min from my house, gets pretty wild on the weekend though! Family friendly but sometimes no friendly families, if you know what i mean! you can look this one up online by googling shiloh ridge atv park. It seems to be mostly for muddin and trail ridding. Jacksonville, tx is home to Mud creek, home of the mud nationals, ditto about this one, would love to support these more, if they weren't so wild. Go durin the week, its quiet!

RoscoW
12-01-2010, 09:42 PM
If your lucky this won't turn into a dodge vs ford vs chevy debate.

I will only tell you from my experience that my 06 Ram 1500 Mega Cab has been an excellent vehicle for our family. It runs the 5.7 and I will pull 20 mpg highway, around 12 in the city and about the same towing anything. I believe that later years added the MDS motor and fuel economy was better. You won't find a cab with a bigger interior, rear seat legroom is about a foot bigger than the quad cab and then there is another 8" behind the rear seats which also recline. My kids hate sitting in the back of any regular quad cab now, they have been spoiled. Reliability has been awesome, only warranty issues were sway bar end links, and a power distribution module short on the trailer lights (fuse box). It was only available with a short box (6'6") but was on the quad cab long box frame, so Wheel base is around 160", good for towing just about any length( std hitch) RV without sway issues cropping up.
Lots of really clean ones around the south as well.

Ross..

86trizinger
12-01-2010, 09:49 PM
We have had a 2004 Durango since new.. Not a ram but for everyone saying how much dodges usually suck I haven't seen it with ours. We have 170,000 hard miles on it. Never one check engine light. Only thing it has ever needed is a thermostat when the weather got real cold last year.

The cutting the cylinders off for more gas mileage has been around for over 10 years. It started back on the Mercedes to save gas and then moved over to the new Hemi's. From there everyone has started to make them. Its great technology. You can barely notice the difference while cruising down the road.

skypilot
12-01-2010, 09:49 PM
You might also check out the Nissan Titan(I know I know, not one on the big 3) Parents owned one, it was great, quad cab with v8, it would run, about 300hp I think. Sister had one in a extended cab, liked it really well, both their kids rode in the extended part, they were about 6 or 7 yrs old. My family has owned 4 Nissans, great reliable vehicles!

4cfed
12-01-2010, 10:06 PM
what about a diesel truck?? new ram is pullin around 20mpg, can put a tuner on it and get that mpg a little higher, but pretty much any of the new trucks tha kil 4 cyl at cruise speed would be a good option, personally diesel is the way to go

newrider3
12-01-2010, 10:46 PM
You want good mileage and good towing? Go diesel.

Woodsrider
12-02-2010, 02:58 AM
The cutting the cylinders off for more gas mileage has been around for over 10 years. It started back on the Mercedes to save gas and then moved over to the new Hemi's. From there everyone has started to make them. Its great technology. You can barely notice the difference while cruising down the road.

Actually 30 years at least...1981 Cadillac V8-6-4 6.0 liter big block. That's the earliest one I know of off the top of my head....someone else might know of something earlier.

If you're going with a gas engine, I believe that the Chev/GMC trucks are noted for being the most economical of the big three. In 2008 they introduced the cylinder deactivation technology with the 5.3 liter, but I think in the new trucks (GM), the 6.2 liter does slightly better in fuel economy than the 5.3.... with lots more horses. My buddy has a 2011 F-150 5.4 6 speed auto and he tows an RV and he loves it . I personally can't believe how much better I like driving it than his 2008 F-150. He says it tows much better...it has some kind of towing stabilization system. Good luck with your search...it's a tough decision between the big three...all good trucks in my opinion. Each one has good points that are unique to them.

andrew j hyman
12-02-2010, 06:27 AM
You want good mileage and good towing? Go diesel. Yes Diesel is the only way to Go. I am Big Ford guy . The New 2011 F350 Power Stroke is getting 20-22 mpg . Also they did not get any Goverment $$$$ Go King Ranch

plastikosmd
12-02-2010, 07:52 AM
"You might also check out the Nissan Titan(I know I know, not one on the big 3) Parents owned one, it was great, quad cab with v8, it would run, about 300hp I think. Sister had one in a extended cab, liked it really well, both their kids rode in the extended part, they were about 6 or 7 yrs old. My family has owned 4 Nissans, great reliable vehicles! "

Got the smaller frontier, great little truck. Friend has the bigger titan and hauls a 21 ft center console in the summer and hates it for towing. He likes it for daily use but noted a big difference between the titan and his previous 1/2 ton. While reported as much more HP than his old truck it does not tow well on highway, hills eat it up. Could be gearing, this is my only experience with towing/titan, others may like it

Macs
12-02-2010, 10:31 AM
I really enjoyed everyones input. I have always been a Ford guy but i feel i will look at these last. Diesel is kinda out of the question due to price ( unless i buy it for my wife ). I am kinda interested in the dodge mega cab. i was beside one on the highway this morning and really liked the way it looked. Again fuel economy is probly going to be the biggest selling point due to my 2-3 hours of sitting in traffic everyday. I am even thinking to just get a small truck with a 4 banger. that way i can use it as my commuter and it will still tow my 10' trailer if i am bringing the extra toys. If i am using a RV my wife will be with me anyway so we would be in her car.

oldskool83
12-02-2010, 11:58 AM
1st off what can you aford? personaly im not spend 30-40K to beat up a truck. i bought a used 2000 ram 1500 4x4 quad cab with $2750! id decide what you wanna do with it, how long your gonna keep it and if you need to have somthing for show or somthing to go and not care about much. a trucks a truck...1st week i owned the ramed i ran it thru mud, blew out a tire and threw a chain saw in the back....

i got a civic to comute with and use the ram on the weekends maybe you wanna try somthing like that...no point to comute with a truck if your only gonna haul air.

jb2wheels
12-02-2010, 12:59 PM
Oldskool is right on - two different jobs need two different vehicles.

I drive a crappy ugly 90 Civic to work every day because it gets 35+ MPG and cost under $1K when I bought it.

I tow/haul with a 98 3/4 Ton Ford Van with the 5.4.

I like vans for hauling bikes/trikes/quads. Everything is locked up at night or when I stop for lunch. Nothing gets soaked in the rain. Fenders don't fly off on the freeway. I can pull a trailer if I need do (and have - 7000 lbs from SoCal to Daytona and back). If you need to feel manly, you can get the vans with diesels or V10s.

People will argue the "extra" car is too expensive, but I save the $75/year registration/inspection in the first week I drive it to work instead of my van. I save the $200/year or so for state min insurance in the next few weeks. And I know I have less tied up in these two vehicles than the Altima is worth. The math is a no-brainer.

Macs
12-02-2010, 01:20 PM
Very good point, just need the dependability of a new vehicle and honestly dont have room to park and extra vehicle at the moment since my parents are living with me. Unless i kick my toys out of the garage and start utilizing that. If the altima was paid off though, i would consider it.

factoryX
12-02-2010, 02:09 PM
if I was going to pick a truck it would be the 05 and newer F-250 3 valve V10. Very cool truck.

skypilot
12-02-2010, 03:15 PM
Wow, is your head spinning from all the infor? I bought a 94 ford ranger extended cab with the auto tranny, ac, and the v6 for $1250! The ac even worked great! I can fit a 250es big red in the bed, and with a little wiggling can shut the tailgate. Little truck, good power, auto tranny, hauls the wheeler, can pull smaller atv trailer! Ford ranger is a good truck, owned 4 of em, pretty cheap! With 130,000 miles still get about 20mpg, driving it like it was stolen!lol!

Jerm1179
12-02-2010, 03:34 PM
i also have a Nissan Frontier with a 4.0V6... Chevy and Ford (im a ford guy) unfortunately couldnt touch the price even with my brother n laws family plan. its a great little truck, but...i get no better gas mileage than my folks do with their Avalanche with the 6ltr V8, and i cant haul half the load. and gas m,ileage was why i went midsized to begin with....i could have gotten a Chevy 1500 with a 5.3 for what my Frontier cost, but couldnt even touch a colorado... there are alot of good deals on full sized trucks at dealers right now ...just make sure you shop around

oldskool83
12-02-2010, 03:35 PM
dont buy a dodge, ours get like 12mpg but i dont care cuz itsonly used for certain stuff. whats funny is we looked a 2000 ram 2500 cummins desiel the same day, same colors and everything, they wanted 20K...8 hours later i traded a jeep and $750 and got the ram.....funny how ya can find deals.

personaly i am not in favor of car payments, you could get a tonka truck (toyota, they pretty good for the midsize stuff)

coolpool
12-02-2010, 04:05 PM
I figured an ext cab would be enough. The kids are small and will probably spend minium time in them.

Also ford has 5500 off so i will check them out and dodge also. Never owned a chevy.

Skypilot, do you have any good riding areas near you? Since Cherokee closed in Milan I have been stuck except for Crosby which is far from Trike friendly.

I think you should reconsider the extended cab. The kids will not be small for long. Everyone I know that has an extended cab can't wait to upgrade to a crew cab. Your riding buddies will thank you also. Rode in one yesterday and wanted to get out fast! If you can afford a Dodge Mega Cab, you'll be amazed at the room in it. My .02 cents CDN or .0198 US

Eric250R
12-02-2010, 04:26 PM
Not wanting to turn this into a brand war either but I"ll offer my 2 cents. The reasonable choice would be a GMC or Chevy if, for nothing else, thier proven track record and great warranty. The Dodges seem to be doing good but if gas mileage is an issue they may not be the right choice. I can tell you beyond a shadow of a doubt the new Fords are falling apart. I have a friend who has worked at a Ford dealership for years and he says the new ones are the worst ones yet. my $.02

bigbadktm
12-02-2010, 09:35 PM
tundra nuff said

trikes4life
12-03-2010, 01:18 PM
Depending on how much you wanna spend the new 2011 Silverado Hybrid, is looking to be a dependable truck, full size pick that runs on gas or electric or both.

andrew j hyman
12-04-2010, 09:53 AM
Not wanting to turn this into a brand war either but I"ll offer my 2 cents. The reasonable choice would be a GMC or Chevy if, for nothing else, thier proven track record and great warranty. The Dodges seem to be doing good but if gas mileage is an issue they may not be the right choice. I can tell you beyond a shadow of a doubt the new Fords are falling apart. I have a friend who has worked at a Ford dealership for years and he says the new ones are the worst ones yet. my $.02 Yes your kinda right the better fords were 7.3 diesel the newer 6.0 6.3 ect were not good at all, But they say the New 6.7 really is good we will see . I have 2002 f250 7.3 with 140,000 still is great

newrider3
12-05-2010, 11:57 PM
IMO a brand new 2011 truck is a stupid purchase, does anyone really have that kind of money anymore? You can get a couple years old Cummins for a fraction of the price, with great mileage, and avoid the stupid new stuff like Diesel Exhaust Fluid fill-ups.