PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Cool Head Cooling: What do you think?

TRITecate350
12-07-2010, 05:52 PM
Here is the deal, I am tired of argueing my points, and I am sure Razors is too. Where does the public stand? Please read the thread in the Mad Scientists Lair, Discussion on Cool heads cooling..... What do you think, Razors is right? TriTecate350 is right?

TRITecate350
12-07-2010, 06:08 PM
http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php?122193-Discussion-on-cool-head-cooling.

Is the thread you need to study.

fabiodriven
12-07-2010, 06:33 PM
I wish I could vote, but don't have any cool heads and have never used one. Other than it looking better than stock, I really can't see any gain for me personally. My Tecate has never overheated and very rarely do I ever have any sort of fade in the power.

Based on what I know about cool heads (nothing), my vote would be invalid. I fear that you are going to get a lot of blow-hards voting blindly here Corey, in both directions. People who have no idea about cool heads but will vote anyways.

thestud25
12-07-2010, 07:23 PM
Why don't you run tests on a dyno. One test with cool head, one without. Make sure to eliminate as many variables as possible. Same compression, same amount of coolant, same amount of time, stress, etc. Put some thermal indicators all over the cylinder, pipe, etc and just prove once and for all what set up is best. Stock, or Modded Cool Head. Short of having and engineer from Kawasaki chime in on this, I feel that this will just go around and around. This is just my $.02.

atc400x
12-07-2010, 07:27 PM
i am in favor of the cool head and have ran both on diffrent machines over the years

ATC-Eric
12-07-2010, 07:27 PM
I agree with you Fabio. Neither Razor, or Corey is going to budge on their opinion of the matter. This is just to further entertain, IMO.

ATC-Eric
12-07-2010, 07:28 PM
Oh crap, Im the only who has voted lol

cr480r
12-07-2010, 09:30 PM
Why don't you run tests on a dyno. One test with cool head, one without. Make sure to eliminate as many variables as possible. Same compression, same amount of coolant, same amount of time, stress, etc. Put some thermal indicators all over the cylinder, pipe, etc and just prove once and for all what set up is best. Stock, or Modded Cool Head. Short of having and engineer from Kawasaki chime in on this, I feel that this will just go around and around. This is just my $.02.

well said. and a great idea.. much more effective than a poll...

dcreel
12-07-2010, 10:19 PM
I honestly don't care who says or believes what, I've put down $50 towards one of these cool heads, and will probably buy another one for the 84-85 Tecate. Thank you to Corey for taking the time, effort, and expense to design and sell things for these old trikes. Without guys like you who "put up" instead of shutting up we'll be able to throw some new school at our old school 3 wheelers. Thanks again..

atctim
12-07-2010, 10:40 PM
I thought they were called cool heads because they look cool. LOL - I voted but ain't getting in the middle. I have done some research and talked to alot of knowledgable engine builders about cool heads over the years. I'll leave it at that.

Bryan Raffa
12-07-2010, 11:49 PM
even if there's no improvement ..it saves money on Head gaskets!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and I love that!

MTS
12-08-2010, 12:26 AM
Mine works fine...Cheaper than carving out a stock head to work properly with a big piston..that in itself is a win for me...The o-rings are a bonus too.

NINJA
12-08-2010, 04:26 AM
Mine works fine...Cheaper than carving out a stock head to work properly with a big piston..that in itself is a win for me...The o-rings are a bonus too.

Agreed, I run one on my 86R and feel the pros, outweigh the cons.

PROS
1. easily change compression ratio
2. no more replacing head-gaskets every time you pull the head
3. no chambering required for larger bore due to changing out domes
4. my R runs an average of 7-12 degrees cooler after installing coolhead with 20cc dome (my stock head was milled to 20cc) I used an RC car temp gun to verify
5. nobody can deny the bling factor

CONS
1. spark plug is straight up and down, making it difficult to remove or install spark plug cap
2. price

I also have an old style Sprock coolhead on my 85 Tecate, damn that thing looks cool!

cr480r
12-08-2010, 05:19 AM
4. my R runs an average of 7-12 degrees cooler after installing coolhead with 20cc dome (my stock head was milled to 20cc) I used an RC car temp gun to verify.

Just cuz both heads were 20cc does not make them the same.. C/R yes, but many other factors. I do not doubt the cool head runs cooler, but IMO both heads would need identicle chambers to be a truly accurate comparo. For example the same type of finish(machined vs. cast), same depth, shape, radius, band width & angle, squish clearance, etc.. Although I may come across as a hater of cool heads, I am not and I can cleary see their many benefits.. But I would like to find some real unbiased proof as to rather or not they truly cool better or not.

NINJA
12-08-2010, 09:36 PM
Just cuz both heads were 20cc does not make them the same.. C/R yes, but many other factors. I do not doubt the cool head runs cooler, but IMO both heads would need identicle chambers to be a truly accurate comparo. For example the same type of finish(machined vs. cast), same depth, shape, radius, band width & angle, squish clearance, etc.. Although I may come across as a hater of cool heads, I am not and I can cleary see their many benefits.. But I would like to find some real unbiased proof as to rather or not they truly cool better or not.
So then you're saying for a true comparison, I'd have to take another stock head, get it milled and chambered to exactly match the coolheads combustion chamber? Why would I do that? It would approach the cost of just buying a coolhead in the first place.
But I do see your point.

cr480r
12-08-2010, 09:52 PM
So then you're saying for a true comparison, I'd have to take another stock head, get it milled and chambered to exactly match the coolheads combustion chamber?

yeah just saying that in order to accurately test the cooling performance of the two designs the chamber would need to be eliminated as a variable.

Why would I do that?
you wouldn't and neither would most.. The results wouldnt matter either way cuz they both obviously work and most buy the new heads for reasons other than cooling anyways.. I am just curious and would someday like to test the two designs just to know for sure.

T3 LOPES
12-08-2010, 11:27 PM
I have seen the cool head and they look cool. I wanted 1 at 1 point but went with having my stock head machind to where i wanted it for the big bore. 30 dollars. He shaved it and cut out the squish just to where i wanted it. 165psi. i had the same work done by another company for my 72mm piston 75 dollars . Ronnie did 1 for a friend for 50 dollars. . so it doesnt cost more to have this done. The cool head is a very nice looking peice to add to any bike for the bling factor. i never used 1 so cant say if it works or not. i respect both 3razors and sprock. Good luck boys

zmpolaristech
12-09-2010, 05:10 PM
I am a firm believer in cool heads...NOT all cool heads, but most. There are/were heads on the market (especially for banshees) that would only make heat issues worse, the only plus was the changeable domes. I obviously don't feel that way towards Sprock's heads. I run a Sprock head on my 250-Z and my 310-Z. 2 1/2 seasons of trail riding, 1/2 season racing with OTC, and Icefest on my 250 engine without a problem. And my 250 makes some pretty decent power for being stock port timing. Only sprock bolt-ons on that engine. My big bore only has about 5-6 hours on it, but I don't forsee any problems with that head either. I also run a NOSS cool head on my banshee, that I have never had a problem with. I do feel they improve cooling (at least in my experiences), I love the O-rings over the std head gaskets and it IS extremely handy to have the option to change compession for fuel availability or price if/when you want. I personally don't see a downside to them... 21st century technology on 25 year old machines is pretty saweet!

Tecate 50
12-27-2010, 08:31 PM
O-rings would make it easy.....however I have only had to pop the head off once, due to me being in a hurry, and not wanting to wait for an OEM gasket. I had multiple heads machined for different cylinders, and as T3 Lopes stated, its pretty cheap. The OEM head is already aluminum and suits me fine.....I think Japan had correct back then, and I think it is correct for me now! I wanted one of these heads years ago.....never had an oppurtunity to get one, so I lost interest. I will stick with what I know works for me. See you all at Trikefest 2011....im bringing a true 249cc (Stock Bore and Stroke) to the strip with a +2 swinger, so the stock class it is for me. Sprock you can borrow my tires again if need be.....lol just messing. Everyone have a fun and safe New Years!