PDA

View Full Version : gonna rip my hair out, blaster electrical help needed!!!!

scooterroo
12-08-2010, 05:07 PM
ok, well heres the story...

was running my blaster, things were going fine, running fine one second, next thing, the bike dies. hmmmm. well get the bike home, look things over, pull the plug, no spark. damn! first thing i do is change the plug thinking maybe i fouled the plug, hardly ever does that, but what the hell. change the plug, kick it over and it starts... runs for like a few seconds, but only if im feathering the throttle. let go of the throttle it dies. hmmm...

ok, change the plug again!!! new plug, kick it over, nothing. no spark, nothing. now, i have changed out the cdi box, the other little box that controls the gay tors thing, brand new coil on it, and just got done changing the stator out this very minute. kick it, nothing.

could the switch have gone bad. i did notice once in a while the switch would give me an issue with not truning the bike off when trying to kill it. any suggestions are welcome and appreciated! im boggled!!!

scooterroo
12-08-2010, 06:31 PM
ok, well i finally have spark. after troubleshooting via the manual, its looking like the dumb peice of crap "tors" is screwing it up. ugh... time to remove that junk unit.

Mosh
12-08-2010, 06:44 PM
Ha aha yamaha TORS Defintion
(T.O.R.S.) Noun....Moshipedia
A rediculous safety feature on Yamaha ATV's that is best suited for beating rodents with.
Acronym.

Totaly
Over engineered
Rediculous
Stupid Shiat
I generally take ever Banshee I get, and rip that crap off and beat with a hammer. Just becuase it makes me feel like I am doing the world a favor.

strokedtater244
12-08-2010, 09:54 PM
Ha aha yamaha TORS Defintion
(T.O.R.S.) Noun....Moshipedia
A rediculous safety feature on Yamaha ATV's that is best suited for beating rodents with.
Acronym.

Totaly
Over engineered
Rediculous
Stupid Shiat
I generally take ever Banshee I get, and rip that crap off and beat with a hammer. Just becuase it makes me feel like I am doing the world a favor.

hahahah..agree 100%

scooterroo
12-09-2010, 12:16 PM
i tell yah i hate that friggin thing. i havent rode my blaster in sometime because i thought the stator went bad in it and i been busy riding my r6. didnt really pay all that much attention to any of my off road rides. just parked in the garage and said eh, i will get to it someday. went out and got another stator for it, got a new coil for it, got a new cdi box for it, ugh. when i read that the tors would cut the spark i was like you got to be kidding me! did the trouble shoot guide from the manual (which i probably should have in the first place), disconnected the control unit for the tors and bam, i got spark again... son of a b!!!ch. well one way to look at it is now i have a spare set of electricals just incase something does happen. damn, i get a frame and i can build a complete nother blaster... hmmm.

nd4speed
12-09-2010, 05:20 PM
I just did a TORS disconnect on a blaster.

Basically just unplugged everything related to the TORS and found some ground wire that was killing the spark.

Anyway it worked with all the TORS wires unplugged.

Mr_RPM
12-09-2010, 05:46 PM
what is TORS? I have had some HORRIBLE luck on yamahas with spark issues and maybe this is my problem....yamaha warriors and banshees specifically

scooterroo
12-09-2010, 06:16 PM
t.o.r.s. = throttle over ride system. basically it is a safety mechanism on the banshee and blaster, warrior and others may have it. its purpose is to cut the fuel to the bike if the throttle gets stuck wide open. a peice of junk if you ask me. it is the weird looking contraption that is on the top of the carb. on 02 and older blasters there is a little black box that is in the front of the bike just above the cdi unit, which is called the controller, then there is a switch inside the thumb throttle where you will see some wires coming out of it, and the thingymabob on top of the carb. to remove it, unplug the controller unit, unplug the thumb throttle wiring, and unplug the wiring coming out of the carb top. some people say they have had problems with high revving idle and can t adjust it anymore with the adjuster screw located on that junk peice on top of the carb, mine did idle a little high, but was easily fixxed when i did some adjustments to the carb itself. mainly with the air/fuel screw. i am going to be putting on a 30mm carb soon, but for now i did this. when the system goes haywire it is supposed to cut the fuel to the carb or something like that, but it can also make the bike lose spark, which is what happened inmy case. unplugged all three connections, kicked the bike over, started right up.

Mr_RPM
12-10-2010, 02:18 PM
THANKS Yamaha! lol I have way to much bad luck with them. every time I own one it reinforces why i like honda so much. My little yfm moto-4 looses spark randomly. haven't even looked into it yet with 4 other hondas inn the barn. haha and I have owned 2 warriors, and my neighbor had a warrior and now owns a banshee, all at one point in time loosing spark or having other electrical issues in one way or another. oh and a buddy went threw a stator in a 05 raptor 660. again, good Ol' yamaha.

we just have bad luck. i have seen a few that run top notch with no problems.

ktmbk
12-16-2010, 05:32 PM
funny, my blaster use to eat plugs. I wouldn't feel comfortable on a ride unless I had 2 spares. Didn't have too many problems with it other than that, I do remember having to play with the wiring under the hood a few times - both with that black box and with a roost boost someone put in at some point - but otherwise it was a great quad.