PDA

View Full Version : A Beg Red merry xmass to ME

frauke75
12-09-2010, 02:59 AM
Hi all!
Glad to find this forum. I have never owned a 3 wheeler before and I will sure need some advice.
I live in SE Wisconsin with access to a lake and wanted something to get out on the ice.
Could not afford a 4x4 ATV and think a snowmobile is too limited... besides... I like the odd and old.
So now I am a totally stoked new owner of a '85, 250es Big Red.

I just beat 144 other crazy craiglisters out of it.
1 owner, fully functional, used but not abused original w/new tires and battery.
He posted it for $200 and went hunting.
I offered $350 and when he came back found out that his in box was full and said the only fair thing would open it up to a OBO and a viewing date. He said he was shocked by the response and said that “people must be racing these or restoring them or something.” Now this guy was 3 hrs away, so I figured I had no chance because I was not going to drive 6hrs and not be sure I could get it. So I emailed him back and told him that he was wrong about the year (had it listed as a '84) and that he should expect $800 to $1200 but also said that all I had was $500. so good luck.

He called me and thanked me and said it was mine. He actually tried to talk me out of it because he did not think I would like it in the snow. This guy was totally upfront and told me everything about the bike and asked several times if I was sure then added that he would drive ˝ way to meet me.
WOOOO HOOOO!!!!!

I met him in a parking lot of a mall in Oshkosh and it was COLD (10*) The bike was just traveling outside for 1 and ˝ hrs and started up on the first push of the starter.
Looked it over and said yes altho I think he was expecting me to offer him less. He even said “it was a little ruff to start to get it on the trailer... just so I know.”
I gave him the $500 and he gave me the original owners manual and some gun racks for it.

Now for the fun; I rented a 4X7 uhall trailer and looked up that the with of a 250es and it was like 46”. tight but should work.... WRONG!!! (still don't know which was wrong) Off by about 3” on each side. Now what to do? We lifted its back wheels up and rolled it on the rails. He have me a small ply he used for the front wheel ramp and we put it under the tires and strapped, strapped and strapped some more. It road home on a 45* angle but never wiggled.

Now this Big Red is not a show bike but nice. The only things are the lower rear fender is busted up on the left side and the tank is “sucked in”... all 3 sides are concave. Not dented. No signs of impact. Like there was a vacuum inside or something. He said it happened 12 years ago but it has never leaked.

I am so happy and I am sorry for going on and on but it is funny; this story is not at all interesting to my wife or any one else.... but I HAD TO TELL SOMEONE!

I am going to be asking questions over in Trikesylvania about what I should do next.

Thanks for reading and maybe understanding ???

mtsnieg
12-09-2010, 10:37 AM
Welcome to the forum.

MonroeMike
12-09-2010, 11:48 AM
Welcome to the board and congrats on your first 3 wheeler.

Mr. Noodz
12-09-2010, 12:27 PM
Welcome to the site, big reds are the best!

Fungo Wizard
12-09-2010, 12:40 PM
Awesome story, get some pics on here for us.

CanadianThomas
12-09-2010, 01:15 PM
Welcome to the board! And a big welcome to the world of three wheels.

That was a nice read. I love having morning coffee with 3WW. You will love the 250BR, everyone I know that has one swears by them. Don't be afraid to ask questions around here, I have found this to be the beast and most helpful of all boards on all topics that I go to. Be Cool.

Almost forgot, please post pics, we all love seeing them.

frauke75
12-09-2010, 05:08 PM
Thanks for the welcome every one!!!
I have already asked for help in the Trikesvlvania section” “first things you should do when you bring home a 3 wheeler /"85 Big Red 250es”

I took some pictures but can't find how to post them is there an istruction somewere?

Thanks

Thanks!!!!

mtsnieg
12-09-2010, 07:41 PM
Hey, didn't notice you live in Pewaukee. I'm on Okauchee Lake. There's a thread in the open forum on how to post a pic. It's pretty easy. Hit the insert image button and copy your pic link from like imagehosting and whalla. Do any ice fishin?

frauke75
12-10-2010, 01:13 AM
Thanks, Mtsnieg! …
I bought it to go ice fishing and just pull my daugter and wife around.
I just moved out from Milwaukee and have lake access to Pewaukee.
Did not get a chance to do much boting or fishing and want to utilize this location.
I was maybe 10 the last time I went ice fishing but want to give it a go.
++++ I heard there are a lot of ice fishing parties out there.

Well I hope it works.... Her are my pic's of my new toy.
... it didn't... only got the red X box when I was done.
But I can use the link... so lets do it that way.
http://www.glowfoto.com/static_image/09-224118L/3110/jpg/12/2010/img4/glowfoto
http://www.glowfoto.com/static_image/09-224424L/5255/jpg/12/2010/img4/glowfoto
http://www.glowfoto.com/static_image/09-205012L/1877/jpg/12/2010/img6/glowfoto
http://www.glowfoto.com/static_image/09-224612L/1942/jpg/12/2010/img4/glowfoto
http://www.glowfoto.com/static_image/09-224820L/4151/jpg/12/2010/img4/glowfoto
http://www.glowfoto.com/static_image/09-224932L/1768/jpg/12/2010/img4/glowfoto
Well... I think it was worth the $500.... thoughts? I can take it if I over paid.
The tires are newish... and they are what i will keep but will that tred be OK on the ice?

zoomerman
12-10-2010, 08:47 AM
great bike for $500. Are all electrical and brakes in working order?

frauke75
12-10-2010, 11:32 AM
yep... seems to be... have not had it out yet... wanted to go through some things before I ride it... but it starts, idles ,sounds great, goes through its gears easy and the lights all work. The brakes all work but I have never driven one so I have know idea of how they should act. I think they are good because when I pulled on the "clutch" to change gears (it's a brake) it stopped quickly.