PDA

View Full Version : Honda 200x rolling chassis, 250 Gio Engine

timex69
12-13-2010, 01:36 PM
About 8 months ago my buddy tore a few gears out in his stock 200x motor so we stumbled across a guy with a 250 gio motor with electric start and bought it for $40. When we got the motor home we realized its very close to the 200x motor plus it has electric start.

Things that work:
-The carb is a direct bolt up and runs well with some minor tuning
-The exhaust works accept you have to drill the holes in the header flange so it -accepts the bigger studs from the engine.
-The motor mounts all bolt up accept for the top ones you will need to either shim them with washers or create your own set.
-200x coil will work with gio motor

Things that you will have to get creative with
-Kick Start, the gio motor kicks backwards and we havent looked to see if we can reverse the gears so it will kick foward.
-Battery Box, we built one that mounts infront of the grab bar between the top frame rails until we can find a better spot under the seat.
-Wiring Harness, We had to wire this bike from scratch and its still an ongoing process. Right now we just have the electric start wired along with all the wires to make the bike fire. If anyone is interested when we finish wiring the bike I can try and make some sort of diagram.
-You will need to find a motor that has a stator coil because it will not accept the X stator

I will post pictures plus a review of this swap once we get everything tuned and get a little bit of seat time on this machine. From my experience it seems to be a little more responsive and seems to pull harder throughout the gear range.

86trizinger
12-14-2010, 09:56 AM
I was thinking the same thing for my 200x.. Although my 200x is a perfect runner right now, so I am just trying to justify that.

quadkiller
12-15-2010, 01:15 AM
I had a 2006 Gio 250 and i found it didnt have half the power of my smaller and older 79 Xl185. good low end torque but no pull at all.

torker
12-19-2010, 11:30 PM
C'mon man...Where are the pics?????

TORKER.