PDA

View Full Version : Cast iron gear repair on the shops 1932 South bend lathe.

Billy Golightly
12-14-2010, 11:48 PM
So, I've been posting about this on my FB page for a while. Last month we had an incident using a cut-off tool on the lathe getting the holder into the chuck, and well, it took about 5 teeth off in one spot, and 1 more in another. Or maybe that one had been missing, who knows.
In any case, the lathe came to an instant stop and made a hell of a noise. So, dad got the cover pulled off and thats what we found. A long with a small clink, clink, clink, clink which was the little pieces of gear teeth that had been stuck in the grease of the cover falling out onto the shop floor when we took it off and stood it up.

I did a lot of research online about the gear. Southbend Lathe Co. has changed hands in the years past and doesn't stock or have parts like they use to. I found the # for one parts place and as it turns out apparently all the records for any lathes pre 1939 were lost or destroyed. There are no original blue prints left to even re-make this stuff. I scoured ebay, couldn't find anything that was the same size swing as ours. I found plenty of smaller ones but nothing as big as this. Dad was honestly to the point where he thought we were going to have to scrap the thing. He mentioned it a few times even. Having a gear shop in Jacksonville tell us $150 a tooth was really what brought that thought on considering there were no replacements. Honestly the machine is old as sin, completely worn out and probably about .020 out of round tolerance. Its not precision anymore, but it works and does bulk work rough cuts stuff fine still. Plus, its a cool ass piece of machinery. Most everything in the shop is early equipment and I wasn't ready to give up on it. I've always heard "You can't weld cast iron." Well, me being me of course had to call bull-trailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro on this and give it a try. Besides it was basically a paper-weight at the moment anyways. I've got the Lincoln welding Handbook, which is sort of the bible for welding information. I read through it and it recommended 99% nickle rod for cast-iron if there was going to be any type of machining available. Everywhere I looked online said something different. Some places said stainless, some said just regular 7018 stick welding rod, all kinds of ridiculous things.

At the end of the day I figured the Lincoln Welding folks probably knew what they were talking about so I went with their recommendation of 99% Nickle rod with a plethora of pre and post heating of the weld piece. Cast iron is very brittle. The heat spreads out the material and makes it expand. As your welding on it you are naturally drawing the metal together, tighter. So heating it helps counter act this. If you dont preheat, it just pulls itself together and it cracks. Badly.

What I had for rod was some 3/32 99% nickle stick welding rods from the local welding supply house. They are about $40 a pound which sucks. I inteded to tig weld this for better heat and puddle control. I knocked the flux off the rods and wire wheeled the little bits off till they were clean. I don't have the picture of it here for some reason, I never took one before I started welding. I degreased, and degreased, and degreased. I then actually hand filed the old broken teeth remnants off (I'm not a fan at all of grinders for work like this or working on thin wall tubing or anything where any level of precision is required). I then pre-heated it to help bake any remaining oil residue out. I didn't make it cherry red or anything, just heated it up good and kept it even to where it was smoking some. I struck up an arc and used up a few and I got pretty much what you see above. Initially I was very worried because the base material was soooooooo porous. When I got a puddle started and you actually seen the base metal under it, it looked like a sponge it was so rough and full of pin holes. It was scary as hell. I figured this filler metal I had was just going to pull right out of the base in one big solid chunk. I finished welding it and by the time I had filled the area where the 6teeth were missing, the top portion of the gear was a dull red. I grabbed the torch and gave it a good post heat to evenly distribute it at the bottom and other places where it wasnt as hot and then left it about 2 hours to cool fully, naturally. No cracks.

After being welded up, It went on the other lathe and very carefully with very light cuts got the outside diameter turned down to approx the same as the remaining good teeth so there wasn't an excess sticking out. It was nerve racking when those first few cuts were being made because I was at this point, from the condition of the base metal I seen when I was welding it, expecting the whole piece to just snag and come flying out at one time. But it didn't. It kept turning off little bits and shavings until it was down to what you see above.

Then we got really lucky. Dad made a contact with a gear shop in Jasper, FL the next town North of here. They did some stuff for him years ago when the transmission on a John Deere combination load backhoe went out. They had moved from their shop here in Live Oak though and we had a hell of a time tracking them down. I took the gear by welded and turned back round with the lathe and let them look at it. Dad and I had figured from the gear pitch gauage we had in the shop that it was a #10 gear pitch, and it was. They had the gear hob to cut the teeth and everything right there. Turns out its a very standard gear pitch used on a lot of stuff. Told me to weld up the other side and bring him $100 with about a weeks worth of time and the would do it up. I got it back today, and I'm really happy. I'd call it perfect, but unfortunately one of the things I encountered welding this trash is that although with some effort the filler metal will stick to it, the base metal "erodes" around it. So no matter how much you build up around it, wherever you stop at, its got little undercut looking edges. And that made the places where I stopped at look a bit ratty, but it is what it is. I got $130 in it and about 45min welding and preheating time, with about another 45min turning down the weld on the other lathe to prep it for the gear hob to cut the new teeth. Jax shop wanted $150 per teeth, 6 teeth missing =$900.

So while I'm building 500R conversions, swing-arms, and whatever else in teh shop, if someone needs some cast iron worked on, let me know :P That $900 repair quote pissed me off just enough to do it myself!

shortline10
12-15-2010, 09:53 AM
Great job Billy .

big specht
12-15-2010, 01:33 PM
Looks good . does it make and more noise . That is the scary part of owning old tools cause you know it is going to break sometime. We just got a index model 55 mill that we are going to use. We are having problem finding tool holders for a #9 B&S tapper cause it is so old.

SWIGIN
12-15-2010, 05:42 PM
Looks like it turned out perfect!

If you need info or need someone to fix teeth in the future try asking on www.practicalmachinist.com in the south bend section. I have had new gears made for my 1922 SB for $50. They were smaller then your bull gear but it would be cheap.

big specht
12-16-2010, 09:37 AM
I have found alot of good info on that site too

Billy Golightly
12-16-2010, 09:56 AM
I've checked out practical machinist some before, definitely a good site!

JayBone
12-16-2010, 10:24 AM
That's pretty impressive. All that with a Lincoln Stick welder?

My pop said he would give me his stick welder, but i want the new wire feed welder. Maybe i should rethink that offer.

Billy Golightly
12-16-2010, 11:47 AM
I used 99% nickle stick welding rods (That had the flux removed). But I did the actual welding with a late 1970's Miller Dialarc TIG welder. I consulted the Lincoln Welding handbook on which rod to choose for the cast iron welding. This can definitely be done stick welding too, but I'm more familiar with and comfortable tig welding.

JayBone
12-16-2010, 12:11 PM
AH! ok. Thanks for clearing that up. Still impressive.

oldtrx
12-16-2010, 04:55 PM
nice job!!!! im currently in the process of completeing my associated degree in welding. the course i just completed was industrial welding, we did alot of cast welding using both nickel and 7018 rods. 7018 are hard surface rods btw. the best advice i ever got was "pass, ping, pray" lol. pre-heat, pass, ping to relieve innner stress, post heat, bury it in sand or put it in the welding rod oven if it fits and pray it holds. dosent look like yours will be having a problem.

so you took a nickel rod, removed flux, and used a tig with the rod as filler? ive never heard of doing it, good idea!

madmel777
12-19-2010, 11:50 AM
awesome job nice work man ... ive run the nickel rod arc/stick welding on engine blocks its real fun when its in the car/truck still lol... when its on something like you did here tig is the way to go IMO ... a hand/foot remote is your best friend and i usually run stringer welds till it fills out

300rman
12-23-2010, 12:43 AM
Two thumbs up on the repair! You can weld cast, provided it is good cast.....a lot of new cast is JUNK, full of contamination. as soon as you touch it with heat, the weld puddle fizzles and pops and throws metal all over the place, = un-weldable.

150 a tooth.....you sure showed them!

RapidRick
12-23-2010, 11:48 AM
Impressive.

Billy Golightly
12-23-2010, 05:17 PM
Two thumbs up on the repair! You can weld cast, provided it is good cast.....a lot of new cast is JUNK, full of contamination. as soon as you touch it with heat, the weld puddle fizzles and pops and throws metal all over the place, = un-weldable.

150 a tooth.....you sure showed them!

Sounds like something that has a high carbon composition. Yeah...that is a pain in the ass.

Billy Golightly
12-23-2010, 05:17 PM
Impressive.

Thanks man! Lookin forward to riding again in a few short months.

Dirtcrasher
12-25-2010, 12:45 PM
In trust that allot more than braising......

My lathe was found in the dump and salvaged. Most of the gears are fixed by braising and it works fine; But crash a tool into the chuck and something has to give, which is why I run the leather belt nice and loose.

I cannot cut threads, I will update to a heavy 10 in the future but for now this old beauty works fine.

Nice work Billy!! :beer or diet Pepsi for ya :D

kasey200x
12-29-2010, 03:51 PM
Awesome fix man.

Pafrig
01-01-2011, 06:55 AM
how would have the super expensive gear shop have done it?

Billy Golightly
01-01-2011, 08:31 AM
The exact same way I'd imagine!

Dirtcrasher
01-01-2011, 09:00 PM
I may have missed it, but what hit what?? I'm always careful with my main gears; But if your running your leadscrew super slow, it's easy to get distracted.

I have some of my 1920ish ?? gears repaired. My head still has the bronze/babbit/lead filled bushings. A couple of my SB Lathe gears were fixed with bronze, but the OEM cast iron must have been harder as well as the Ni-Cad rod that you used. I found once the oil or other contaminants were heated out, you could braise or weld it fairly well but I'm well aware of the moon craters you speak of :lol:. That Ni-Cad rod is even tough to grind, it's a very strong material to build up!!

In my days as an "Industrial Mechanic", I fixed many machinery brackets/castings with that rod in an AC arc machine (Juke box...). I imagine that there must be a TIG filler rod you could have used too??... And I know you have a TIG which is "whenever I'm back on my feet" a must...... The puddle is just so easy to push with some practice.....

Your a smart guy, if you looked at some repairs you'd see that they sometimes insert a small dowel pin and then form the teeth around them. Presumably for strength.

Someone did that same crap to my bull gear and I try to be very careful with my clutch engaged. BANG BANG BANG, you can't run fast enough!

Good old SB lathe, you can most likely "win" a spare on EBAY to make sure your all set, Did the mating gear even lose 1 tooth??

I'll pick up another lathe sometime (heavy 10), sell mine to one of my local buds, but old school (just like trikes) is the way to go!

Thank god the Bridgeport just uses pulleys :lol:

Nice stuff Billy, thanks for sharing :beer (diet Pepsi that is) :D

Anyhow, either I missed it or what was the CRASH?? I can imagine the look on your face!

Billy Golightly
01-01-2011, 11:15 PM
Dad was actually running it (If I would have done it he probably still wouldn't be talking to me). We had a cut off tool without a 90 on it, just one of the straight ones and were trying to cut off a piece very close to the chuck. It was running (Very slowly, luckilly) and dad ran the cross feed in just a hair more by hand than he should have and the compound snagged on the chuck, and it stopped it dead. Luckily it did not take any teeth off of the mating gear.

The rod I used was 99% nickle, and I did TIG it, its just this rod was made for SMAW. I knocked the flux off and fed it in manually like any other tig rod. its all the local welding supply place had and I wasn't really gonna bother ordering a "Tig" rod that was the exact same thing after I had knocked the flux off. McMaster has 99% nickle tig rod, but like I said, the arc rods is what the LWS had and I figured once the flux was knocked off they were the same. The Ni-cad stuff your mentioning if I recall says in the Lincoln welding handbook is not suitable for any machining because of the hardness. The nickle that I put down wasnt really all that hard but it does grind funky. It throws more of a deep red colored sparks instead of orange/yellow/white like steel. The original cast iron is *extremely* soft as I was able to file away the remainders of the broken gear with only a little effort.

I've heard of that "pinning" technique. This guy at a website called lock-n-stitch goes into this big spiel about how you cannot weld cast iron and that it'll never hold because of the differences in the make up of the materials etc. etc. His theory is a metal stitching process with pins in the material more or less what you mentioned. That wouldn't have really worked on the teeth though because they are so small. I will say there was one lone tooth on this thing that looked like it had broken off years ago, who knows when that had the piece that broke off of it sat back in place and silver soldered it looked like. It seemed to be holding fine.

Dirtcrasher
01-02-2011, 12:38 AM
Unless you bind up in that EXACT same spot, I imagine you'll be good :beer

hondamaniac
01-05-2011, 09:19 PM
theres a gear shop here in north carolina called spencer pettus, i use to do their cnc programming a few yrs ago.. they could of made ya a new one for the price of one tooth lol at that other place.. good reputable company..
the biggest gear they can turn an cut is 12 feet in diameter!