PDA

View Full Version : The Honda XR's

JourneyMan
09-29-2003, 01:08 AM
I just got a Honda 1982 XR 200 for $200. Its starts first kick and the valves, cam, and motor look pretty clean. So I am willing to put a little money into it. It could use some new rear wheel bearings and some cosmetic work but it is quite a nice ride for something so old. Also it could use a new front sprocket. But I cant seem to find a rear sprocket. Honda discontinued it and it would have cost $70 and Denniskirk only has front sprockets for it. Does anyone know where I could find one? Its not in bad shape its just when I change the front I would like to change the rear one as well as the chain. I guess I could always look on EBAY. Also I have just one more question. What is the difference between the XR200 and the XR200R?

mxc495
09-29-2003, 07:08 AM
I would go to my local motorcycle dealer and look in their aftermarket catalogs, whether it be Parts Unlimited or Tucker Rocky. A rear sprocket *should* be a fairly easily obtainable part, heck they made XR200's for years. As for the XR200 and the XR200R I imagine somewhere down the line Honda just added the R to the name. I own an XR600R and I can't find any difference to an older XR600. Have fun on your XR, you just bought probably one of the most reliable bikes out there.

ATC crazy
09-29-2003, 09:21 AM
Take the sprocket around to some dealers or salvage yards and try to match the bolt pattern up with another make/model.

TrikeKid
09-29-2003, 08:04 PM
im not sure but the 200r may be the RFVC four valve. My friends neighbor has one thats broke down but he rode it before and said it was fast as !@#@ and he has riden quite a few moto bikes that didnt scare him.

350Xccelerator
09-29-2003, 08:26 PM
nice find man, those old XR 200s are a blast, does yours have a headlight? got any pics?

JourneyMan
09-30-2003, 12:48 AM
I think I may have found a sprocket in Denniskirk. And As soon as I get a Digital camera I will post pictures. And no it dosent have a headlight.

84250r
10-01-2003, 09:06 PM
I think the older XR"s were the best.

JourneyMan
10-02-2003, 01:11 AM
Why 84250r do you think the older XR"s were the best?

PowerTrike
10-03-2003, 09:53 AM
I just got a Honda 1982 XR 200 for $200.

Nice find, thats cheap! My friend just might have some parts for ya? I'll ask him when I get a chance.

thefox
10-03-2003, 01:19 PM
the XR200R has the mono rear shock set up with the pro-link swing arm where the XR200 is the classic duel rear shock set up. I had an XR80R and that was the only real differents between it and the XR80.

-Andrew

Captainuno
10-04-2003, 02:58 PM
Last year we had a reunion team race here in So Calif. for all the old desert riders that used to race here in Dist. 38. I called my old team mate, Bob Bell and asked him if he was game. We both used to race in the 125 expert class in the 80's. Bob has gone on to be the Team Honda off road race team gurue. He builds and sets up the big Hondas 650's for Johnny Cambell & Steve Hinglefield in the Baja Races.
For fun, Bob brought down the very bike that Team Honda won the Baja on last year, I started the race on my CR250 but got a front flat after the first lap (10 miles). After that we both alternated laps on the fire breathing XR650, wow talk about fast and smooth. I never thought that a 300 lb motorcycle could be so easy to ride fast in the desert. We ended up 12th over all out of 50 teams, not too bad considering a lap with a front flat and 2 old farts over 45 years old. Brings back the good old days. After the race I asked Bob what he did with the suspension and engine to make this bike such a pleasure to ride, he said "If I told ya, I'd have to kill ya". LOL Now I know why Team Honda dominates offroad/desert racing. I felt very privilged to get the opportunity to even ride the bike, much less race it, Thanks BOB. I added the link to Bob's Webpage, its got some pretty interesting things on it, CHECK IT OUT!
Anyway, just a little more bench racing from So. Cal.
Kirk
http://www.precisionconceptsracing.com/

JourneyMan
10-05-2003, 04:57 AM
im going to paint the frame dark green and the plastic camoflague. And I am going to paint the lower half of the motor silver and the cylinder and cam black. And thats it as far as cosmetics go. So far the only problem i see is that there are spot welds on each of the 4 nuts that hold the rear sprocket on. I will probably have to get 4 new bolts from the dealer.

Captainuno
10-05-2003, 12:06 PM
Journeyman,
Take a close look at the hub holes where the sprocket bolts on, they might be a little egg shaped, causing the nuts and bolts to come loose, maybe thats why the previous owner tacked on the nuts. 3 things you can do, get a new hub (which is probably not practical) or drill out the hub and sleeve the holes back to original size, or drill out the hub and use oversize bolts. Use BLUE locktite on the bolts, it's strong but still able to be taken loose if needed. It's definitly worth the time to take a look so you don't break the hub. Hope you get that beast up and running soon, take care.

Kirk

JourneyMan
10-06-2003, 02:34 AM
Thanks man. Hopefully tomara my parts come in from denniskirk so then I can discect it and repair the bike. Mabye this week I will go get a digital camera so i can start posting pictures. If I only had before and after pictures of my 350X that was stolen, then I might have been able to recover it and also show the progress and accomplishment I did in making a shi#ty old beat machine and made it look and run almost like brand new.

JourneyMan
10-07-2003, 12:38 AM
Ok, so I took the rear wheel off and looked at the sprocket studs where there were the spotwelds on each nut and it turns out the whole sprocket assembly itself it held on the wheel by just a circle clip. The 4 studs just hold the sprocket in place so the sprocket wont spin. This seems strange to me but its an old bike. They must have made them differently back in the day/

Captainuno
10-14-2003, 02:16 AM
Wow that is strange, but who knows what them little guys overses were thinking about. I still suggest using the blue locktite on the sprocket bolts though, just for saftys sake. You must be getting close to having it up and running, can't wait to see the pics. Did you get a chance to check out the website in the big XR650's?

Kirk

JourneyMan
10-16-2003, 02:10 PM
Oh, the bike is running. It has been since I got it. I have just been cleaning up the little things. I am almost ready to paint it. I just need to get a digital camera.

atckowalski
10-29-2003, 01:24 AM
I just picked up a 1982 xr 250r.It is nice and i like it. 6 speed monoprolink. Does anyone know if the stroke is the same on the xr 250r as the xr350r, thus making a simple top end change to increase hp?I will post pics soon.