PDA

View Full Version : Anybody ride stand up jetski's?

Twilight
12-25-2010, 09:55 PM
Got into it a little bit last summer, going to try for harder stuff this summer. I ride a 750sxi, friends have everything from old school race 440's to modded out super jets and fx1's. Only mods to my ski is a steering quickener, intake and ride plate from west coast, and a weight in the back so its easier to get back on once you fall off (i dunno what to call it, im the only one crazy to do it in our group).

Anyone else ride these?

buck
12-25-2010, 10:22 PM
I rode and raced stand ups from 1990-2001. Probably some of the best memories I have on the water. I used to love racing the younger 18-25 yr old guys. They were like a teenage boy in the sack, quick to get up then be done in one lap. They couldn't hang. The older guys were ALWAYS faster.

I still wish I had that ski. Got into offshore boating so I could do more with a growing family. Now I have three happy women in the house and an emptier wallet.

Buck

Twilight
12-25-2010, 10:25 PM
Any reccomendations for a 750sxi for more bottom end? I may one day get a FX1 or a superjet. Loved to sub and fountain of youth my ski!

code200k
12-25-2010, 11:17 PM
got a 90 300sx, traded a member here my 84 R for it.Never rode one yet cant wait till summer time.

Xfile
12-26-2010, 01:17 AM
My wife and I both ride stand-ups....I have a 2001 superjet with handling and some engine mods and my wife has a fully restored 1987 650sx with handling and engine mods also. Super jet has Blowsion carbon fiber chin pad and -1" quick-steer plate, UNI bars, R&D toploader, R&D "Rius" ride plate, Skat prop, Dried out stock pipe + other stuff, Wifes has UNI bars, Skat prop, R&D toploader, Wet Wolf frestyle pump cone, oceanpro ride plate, 91 650sx intake bored to except a 92 750sx 40mm Keihin, old school Mariner "rec" head, DG pipe cone, and other stuff...

jb2wheels
12-26-2010, 01:52 AM
I had a 440 knock me out back in the 80s. I was a big ol boy even then and had to lean way out over the front to get them out of the water at Big Bear Lake in So Cal (7000 feet AGL?). Hit a wake and woke up floating with a cut on my chin and the ski riding around in circles taunting me.

They're actually a lot of fun.

RDH/86200X
12-26-2010, 05:31 AM
i wish i could say it is mine but its my dads. its a kawi 550 that has been fully modded and i know a guy that has a tiger shark 650 i think. i love them there so nimble has any one ever taken one under water and launched out of the water now thats fun

Bryan Raffa
12-26-2010, 09:29 AM
I ride a 550sx through a bunch of money in the top end last year,, then blew the bottom end,,, gonna get stupid with it this spring... thanks for reminding me I gotta split them cases!:naughty:

Xfile
12-26-2010, 02:02 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVvHJch58cU here is a video of me riding my Superjet in the fall of 05. I'm no great rider, but ok for a good ole boy from WI. I do manage to stick a clean sub, a few 180 hops, and a sweeper leg drag at the end. You can see my wifes 650sx and my friends 800SXR sitting in the water in a few parts of the video. Sad part is that I have not rode since 2007.....there just isn't enough time with two small children. My skis are all waxed up and ready to go just in case :D

Twilight
12-26-2010, 03:34 PM
Damn Xfile, if you ever wanna sell that SJ let me know! Thye want crazy prices out here, like 2k for a 91/93!

How do you keep the nose up and rear in the water like that? Looks like a hard one. Also my friends call my subs "suicide subs" because I dont reappear for 3-8seconds.

bkm
12-26-2010, 05:04 PM
I don't have a ski anymore, but I have owned a '76 js400, '79 js440, '83 js 440, 2 '86 js550's, and a '88 650sx. They were so much fun. My buddy had an older superjet that was the best handling ski I have ever ridden. It didn't have much top end but he had it propped to almost rip your arms off out of the hole.

Xfile
12-26-2010, 10:19 PM
Damn Xfile, if you ever wanna sell that SJ let me know! Thye want crazy prices out here, like 2k for a 91/93!

How do you keep the nose up and rear in the water like that? Looks like a hard one. Also my friends call my subs "suicide subs" because I dont reappear for 3-8seconds.

yeah, stand-up ski prices can be crazy in the coastal states. I'n WI, you can pick up pretty nice 650sx's for 4-$500 , 750 sx/sxi's go between 900 - 1,500 and super jets are a little more but not much. I picked up a nice 93 650 squarenose SJ and 2 place karavan trailer from my neighbor for $300, turned the SJ around for $700 and kept the trailer for my skis. My friend paid $5,700 out the door for his 03 SXR brand new.....guys in California were dropping $7,000 on them just to get one.
As far as keeping the nose straight up and the tail in the water....it's called a tail-stall. To do it, put both feet side by side at the back of your tray, slow down until the tail of your ski sinks, you need to feather the throttle very lightly to keep the front end balanced up, no more than just off idle. To help you balance when you first start learning, you can drop on leg off the tray deeper into the water to act as a rudder to help you balance. As you get better at it, you can add a tailspin by steering slightly into the direction you want to spin and applying a little more throttle.
My suggestion to get more bottom end out of you ski would be #1 aftermarket prop #2 after market pipe. If your sxi still has a stock prop on it, it's gotta go, they are a cast aluminum lop of crap. I like Skat-Trak props myself, but Solas makes good props too. If you e-mail Skat and give them you weight, engine mods you have or will be doing, and the type of riding you do they will hook you up with the proper prop. When I replaced the cast pos prop on my superjet it was a night and day difference....awesome hook-up, no cavetation, and a good boost of low end power. If you try to mod your engine with the stock prop, much of it will be lost in pump cavetation and you wont get the power to the water. If your on a budget the very first thing I would do is get a good prop on your ski and go from there...

Twilight
12-27-2010, 03:01 AM
Thanks! Definitely gonna try that!, I still ride in the winter, just need a thicker wetsuit now. My cousin has a coffmans pipe he might give to me.

Thanks for the info on Skat, gonna drop them a line! My sxi has some serious top end, but bottom is lacking. Doing the fountain of youth and wake ups I can do some serious damage if not careful!

fla 2-stroke
12-28-2010, 10:32 PM
112518112519I have 6 kawasaki 650x2s and a 550sx.lots of water around me.they do the trikefest of standups in daytona(20 min away)the 3rd week in jan.500 plus stand ups doing back flips and barrel rolls.great times