PDA

View Full Version : Sand rails!!!!

scuba
01-04-2011, 12:34 AM
So who all has a sand rail around here?
I am about done building a VW based rail with an 1835 and dual webers on it. The chassis is from 1974 or so and I have done a full restoration so far and all I lack is finishing ....................... or so I am told by the wife.

mymint87
01-04-2011, 01:07 AM
just retooled ...sold my 2 seater for this.....talk about a recliner with wheels, cant feel a thing.....SMOOOOOOOOOOTH:postwhore:postwhore:postw hore

dcreel
01-04-2011, 01:24 AM
Minty, that thing is niiice.. My mom and dad had a 4 seat corvair powered rail when I was growing up.. I've got a vhs video of me launching it in the little dunes (now closed) at Glamis.. I agree rails are great for taking the fam along for a fast ride through the dunes.

scuba
01-05-2011, 10:21 AM
Damn Minty, mine ain't quite that nice. I will get some pics soon. It is still is work ..................

What size engine are you running, and what type of carbs are on it ?

Bretmd94
01-05-2011, 12:03 PM
My family has had a couple rails, an old Manx and than later a vw classic style rail with an 1815?? It was a weird numbered vw motor.

My group of duners are getting into it again slowly. What turning brakes are you using? Pedal assembly?

mymint87
01-05-2011, 01:48 PM
Damn Minty, mine ain't quite that nice. I will get some pics soon. It is still is work ..................

What size engine are you running, and what type of carbs are on it ?

2276 with webers...

heres a pic of what i sold, it had a t-trailer with it and let it go for 1500, which pissed me off because the 8 inch widened beam front end was worth 800, then you add the wheels 600 easy and basically your getting a frame, engine and trailer for 100............. it had a 1740 in it with dual single barrel solex carbs < but was a great toy for the kids, heres my 13 year old giving my 16 year old a ride

mymint87
01-05-2011, 01:52 PM
My family has had a couple rails, an old Manx and than later a vw classic style rail with an 1815?? It was a weird numbered vw motor.

My group of duners are getting into it again slowly. What turning brakes are you using? Pedal assembly?

are you talking about mine?....cnc pedals and you dont need the turning brakes, the front tire design takes care of it, just turn and punch it

Bretmd94
01-05-2011, 04:51 PM
are you talking about mine?....cnc pedals and you dont need the turning brakes, the front tire design takes care of it, just turn and punch it

I referring to the OP. But I was going to make sure he got some CNC components instead of the Jamar.

And no turning brakes??? How do you turn while the front wheels are off the ground?

scuba
01-06-2011, 04:49 PM
I believe in the turning brakes, but that is up to the driver...............

Bretmd94
01-06-2011, 05:34 PM
I was looking at your rail closer Mint. That thing is perfect. Good suspension, still rocking a VW motor and a big one at that! It doesn't look too big at all.

I can see not needing turning brakes out on the Imperial Dunes. They are a must have in Oregon though. Navigating a rail through trails tighter than a rail should be going through with out them is asking for trouble. They also enable one to pull a 180 on an amazingly tight sand road.

Slingblade
01-06-2011, 10:34 PM
WOW Mint, That is one fine four seater. I love the frame. What kind is it?

mymint87
01-07-2011, 01:32 AM
I believe in the turning brakes, but that is up to the driver...............

cutting brakes are fine, and I had them on the old 2 seater and they are fun..... I needed them on that blue buggy because the front end was soo light and I rolled with those pos American farmer tires...but the 4 seater...no fricken prob, just turn and gas it

mymint87
01-07-2011, 01:39 AM
WOW Mint, That is one fine four seater. I love the frame. What kind is it?

rear engine cradle looks like an older scorpion, but Im not sure, I do know that It's an older frame that has been modded to handle the fox 2.0's....freaking thing has it all, satelite radio, ipod, 4 speakers, amp, gps, insulated panels, screened floor, insulated roof, 5 point belts, 934 cv's, close ratio 3/4, reinforced front spindles, 8 inch wider front beam

mymint87
01-07-2011, 01:57 AM
I almost bought this one...I think its a brentwood model.....Im soooo glad i didn't....Im glad I was patient and waited...this one was the same price and in yuma, it was street legal (you can do that in Arizona) he had some paddles and smoothies for it....but when i seen the orange one...this one instantly achieved POS status

Slingblade
01-07-2011, 03:10 AM
^^ You did good, mint. That orange one just has "the look". I helped one of my bud's build a street rail not long ago. High compression stroker (can't remember cc's), dual dellorto's, 5 rib bus trans. Runs on AV fuel and is downright scary fast for a vw. Makes me want one.