PDA

View Full Version : Greenwood Lake NY ice racing

riverrat
01-13-2011, 12:07 AM
Well it's that time of year again. We got ice, some snow on it right now, but I have a track plowed, and will continue to maintain it as much as I can. We will pretty much be out there every weekend, so if you are interested in stopping by for some impromptu racing, shoot me a pm or post here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lehw3rQNT-U

Bryan Raffa
01-13-2011, 09:10 AM
How mutch Ice is there?

riverrat
01-13-2011, 09:56 AM
Check your wall post, lol.
Got to be 5-6 inches by now. I will drill a hole Friday, been riding on it all week. Last Saturday there was 4.5inches a little out from the beach, 6-7 down the southern end. It was strong enough to hold the 9 inches of snow we just got without any bleed through.

ChrisD
01-14-2011, 08:10 AM
Tom and I are loading up tonight. We should be up there around 11am or so.

Bryan Raffa
01-14-2011, 08:02 PM
you guys should hold an event down there ,, your always frozen before me... Roosty has been tearin up the next lake over ,,Up... that freezes about the same time as yours.. 30' deep... I WILL BE READY BY NEXT WEEKEND.. so I can get some jetting sessions in...

D-dub
01-14-2011, 08:09 PM
Looks like a wicked day for ice racing, and that lake looks awesome! Doesnt look to be all that much snow on it.

riverrat
01-15-2011, 06:14 PM
you guys should hold an event down there ,, your always frozen before me... Roosty has been tearin up the next lake over ,,Up... that freezes about the same time as yours.. 30' deep... I WILL BE READY BY NEXT WEEKEND.. so I can get some jetting sessions in...

Every day of my life is an event! come down anytime, we can put you guys up.

riverrat
01-15-2011, 06:15 PM
I took some GREAT helmet cam video today, too bad the helmetcam was looking at the ground the entire time.....

JohnR.
01-17-2011, 02:54 PM
Had a nice time down at the lake yesterday even though I was feeling like crap and didn't even unload the trike. Put some much needed miles on the wife's sled and gave my Thundercat a good workout.:twisted:

The problem with having an event here is that while we all live near the lake none of us are directly on it. Fortunately Anthony's house is in a community with a private beach that we can launch from but there isn't a lot of room to park and this year its difficult to even get down to the beach because the town plowed a huge pile of snow in front of the access road. Can't even get a pickup truck down there right now. Maybe one day I'll be fortunate enough to have a house on the lake that we can all ride from but looking at my paycheck and the price of houses on the lake (not to mention the taxes) its probably not in the cards.

John

ChrisD
01-17-2011, 05:09 PM
Good times! Thanks for letting me take your sled for a spin. Cool ride for sure. Anthony said he got some good video, so post it up!!! Good thing he left before my crash into the snowbank!

riverrat
01-18-2011, 08:32 AM
Wow the snow is terrible, all icy. We got like 4 inches of ice/snow and more still falling. This is all supposed to turn to rain, I hope, that should clean up the lake and make for some fun. It is supposed to get real cold this weekend too, so any wet spots should freeze over, let's hope for enough rain to clean it up!

Some helmet cam footage from this past weekend:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChJsg1PHwQk

Bryan Raffa
01-18-2011, 08:57 AM
we got no snow but I hope it warms up a bit and rains to melt the snow on top, and make it glass.. thats why I never make the track early.. no one likes crashing into a ice wall...lol

JohnR.
01-18-2011, 12:08 PM
I got a broken shoulder that will attest to that!

ChrisD
01-18-2011, 03:02 PM
Ditto... I have a couple broken ribs that can make the same attestation. Whenever you hit the snowbank, you have to hope for the best. That's why I like nice wide turns, especially when there are quads on the track. They take up a lot of room to move.

riverrat
01-18-2011, 04:14 PM
I hear ya. I just figure I got the whole lake, so I can move tracks around. If there is ice, I am out there riding since this is mostly the only riding I do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnSjV5c3B_I

tri-Z ripper
01-23-2011, 09:11 PM
i grew up in Vernon NJ and know greenwood lake very well. is this on upper greenwood i'm assuming? if so when's the next meet?

JohnR.
01-23-2011, 09:22 PM
Nope, not Upper Greenwood Lake. Too much hassle with cops and no place to park up there. We ride Greenwood Lake, NY. I'm planning on being out there next weekend.

John

riverrat
01-23-2011, 11:21 PM
Well because all the fast guys went to another track that I couldn't ride too, and I was working on my bike until 2:30 today, by the time I got out on the lake to test it, I just stayed where I was. Funny, with out you guys around, I smoked everyone I raced today. 3-450 quads, 1 700R quad, and about 7 bikes, one of them a 505 KTM, and countless other slow bikes. Got it running pretty good. I burned 3-3.5 gallons of race fuel this weekend.:acr

riverrat
01-23-2011, 11:24 PM
Just took a couple of sketch photos with my cell phone camera, that I am going to use to figure out my paint scheme.

riverrat
01-23-2011, 11:50 PM
Hey Chris, check this out,t his is what I am going to do I think.

brapp
01-24-2011, 12:37 AM
that looks cool with the red black and blue look

ChrisD
01-24-2011, 06:34 AM
That does look cool. Are you going to make the frame black too?

riverrat
01-24-2011, 07:23 AM
I think so, I was experimenting with blue, but not sure. I think leave it black, and lots of polish and chrome.

ChrisD
01-24-2011, 07:56 AM
That should look sweet. The guy that crashed up at Mikes house broke 3 ribs, his collar bone and punctured a lung. Ouch!!

riverrat
01-24-2011, 08:18 AM
Holy Crap! 4 wheelers are dangerous....

ChrisD
01-24-2011, 09:22 AM
That's what 600 pound machines do. I feel bad for him. Broken ribs hurt a lot.

JohnR.
01-24-2011, 09:02 PM
Yeah, that sucks. I've met Wayne a few times, he's a really nice guy.

I think that color scheme looks really good. I say go with the black frame too and then get a hold of Mrs. Mosh for a nice flamed seat cover.

John

riverrat
01-24-2011, 10:53 PM
I was gonna give country Joe a try, the guy who did your boat. All I really need is the seat cover, the rear fenders, and a black frame. The guy who runs the lumber yard is good friends with the guy who powder coats for OCC, and is going to hook me up with him, let's see what his pricing is, and I will get the other frame powder coated. The most difficult part will be polishing everything, that will come later, when I do a tear down.

Bryan Raffa
01-24-2011, 11:28 PM
I was gonna give country Joe a try, the guy who did your boat. All I really need is the seat cover, the rear fenders, and a black frame. The guy who runs the lumber yard is good friends with the guy who powder coats for OCC, and is going to hook me up with him, let's see what his pricing is, and I will get the other frame powder coated. The most difficult part will be polishing everything, that will come later, when I do a tear down.

you want your seat done right? http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php?117039-Cosmic-Quads-custom-seats-and-covers...8-years-worth-of-work-in-here

ChrisD
01-25-2011, 12:00 AM
Hey John,

It looks like Jess got some great pictues. Any chance you can post some? We've got to get everyone revved up and ready to race!

brapp
01-25-2011, 02:45 AM
i may have to make the venture out soem weekend once i get my r aquared away and 100%

riverrat
01-25-2011, 11:21 AM
yea git urr rednek arse ova heer (spoken in Josh so he can understand)

riverrat
01-26-2011, 03:31 PM
Some random clips from last weekend:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szqvqdahlPY

sbjones73
01-27-2011, 04:04 AM
love the vids. wow that lake is rough !!!!!!!!
thanks for the vids, who is that one that is like fast as hell out there on the first couple of video's ?

could you try and get some pics or vids of the trikes that you guys get out there please !!!!!!! by that i mean before you all go out.
i couldn't ice race this year here in wisconsin, healing from a neck surgery, but am already planning on what i am going to do to my 84 250r to tear the ice up next winter !!!!!!!!! (300 kit, custom swing arm etc.)

riverrat
01-27-2011, 10:47 PM
I got some pics somewhere from last year.

12" of snow, FYI the track is open after over 2 hours of plowing. Don't run off, it will hurt.

ChrisD
01-28-2011, 08:31 AM
love the vids. wow that lake is rough !!!!!!!!
thanks for the vids, who is that one that is like fast as hell out there on the first couple of video's ?. :shiftyeyes:

Just kidding.... You're the man. I bet the snowbanks are killers now! They were scary before! I will be up next weekend, hopefully with my new and improved 250cc R. I plan to get that finished this weekend.

riverrat
01-28-2011, 12:52 PM
I should have a full set of chains for my quad tomorrow, and then I should be able to knock the burm down. Right now it's so high I got stuck on it exiting the track after all the plowing....high sided that is. It's almost 2ft high, lol. I was soaking wet after some high speed plowing.....
I will be out there tomorrow doing some laps.

ChrisD
01-28-2011, 06:33 PM
Wow! I heard more snow on Wednesday. I would love to come up tomorrow, but the wife would divorce me. Gary may come up again this weekend.

Bryan Raffa
01-28-2011, 07:44 PM
glad I havent made a track yet! ,, dam snow!

ChrisD
01-28-2011, 07:46 PM
Hi Bryan, how much snow do you have up there?

riverrat
01-28-2011, 07:54 PM
If I didn't make this track, we would have nothing, all the ice underneath the snow is crap

Bryan Raffa
01-28-2011, 08:25 PM
about 3" on the ice.. the last few days it melted a bit.. there callin for more...

ChrisD
01-28-2011, 08:38 PM
You're right, and if I forget to tell you, I am grateful that you make and maintain the track. I used to be the guy that got out there on Saturday morning at 9:00am searching for a good place to make a track. Especially this year when we've had so much snow, the ice underneath is as super rough. Cheers!!!

Bryan Raffa
01-28-2011, 09:15 PM
I'm gonna hold off one more weekend!...:D

riverrat
01-29-2011, 10:43 AM
I don't know how you do it Bryan. There are plenty of places to make a track to practice, and then save the best spot for last.
Chris, I know you are the guy that used to do that, we got that in common :) I like doing it, hate the wear and tear on the machine, but still, yesterday I was alone with my thoughts driving in circles, what could be better ! :D
Hopefully these chains are going to make it easier too. I was thinking to make a better blade for the plow, like one of those ones that progressively get larger and can throw the snow further out. I get the snow coming over the front, and then I get wet and frozen.

Not looking good for this week, another major storm on the way, let's hope for rain.

ChrisD
01-29-2011, 01:37 PM
Im got a new helmet camera on the way. I should have it by Thursday. I got the Oregon Scientific ATC9K. It records in 1080p HD. FINALLY, no more wires.

riverrat
01-29-2011, 09:59 PM
So you can do this, only better!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPsG2dFbmQw

ChrisD
01-30-2011, 09:09 AM
Thats cool. What kind of camera is that again? The great thing about that camera is that is't so small and can be mounted like that.

riverrat
01-30-2011, 09:20 AM
It is a venom snake eye. They don't sell it anymore but you can find them on the web still from $30-60. I think other companies make the same cam under a different name.

ChrisD
01-30-2011, 09:49 AM
MY 85R has hit snag after snag....I'm going to set this thing on fire. This started out as fixing a sticky clutch and has morphed into $1200 in parts. All new bearings and seals on the bottom end, new long rod crank, new billet clutch basket, new clutch, 89 upgrade kit, new piston, new rear brake rotor and pads, new front rotor, pads, and replaced the caliper, new axel spacers, new front tire and studs, flat track kit.

The frustrating thing is that each item was found out the hard way....doing the clutch, I found out about each problem as time went on. It has delayed me getting this thing out on the ice each week. I am not stuck on no front brake pressure. I also forgot to order longer base studs to accomodate the 5mm spacer plate. Soooo, I hope to get more parts overnighted so I can get this thing running this week.

I hope I can get it running in time, but that may not make a difference if you guys get another foot of snow on Tuesday.

Bryan Raffa
01-30-2011, 10:12 AM
and thats your so called STOCK bike???????

ChrisD
01-30-2011, 02:50 PM
:shiftyeyes:

I'd bet that it's as stock as anything else going out there. I CAN tell you that it is a 250cc motor. Actually it's slightly larger in that due to the age and mileage on the motor, it is 60 thousandths over. Unfortunately everything done to the motor and bike is for maintenance and won't make it any faster. I am coming to icefest with no additional tricks up my sleeve this year. :rolleyes: All that money went to well needed maintenance on my woods bike.

riverrat
01-30-2011, 06:26 PM
and thats your so called STOCK bike???????

You don't have at least that much into your stock bike Raffa?

Well some idiots decided to go on the track today while it was half frozen over with some water and they made a mess of turn 4. BTW, I have a nickname for this years track, Ole Deadly Turn 4. So I'be been thinking of how to make quicl holes in the ice so I can flood it, and today I took out my baby 16" chain saw and just plunged holes in the turns. Took me like 2-3 seconds to plunge cut a hole, and it started flooding beautifully. Then I plowed the water and did the best clean up job I could do. Hopefully tonight it will be cold enough to freeze all that work solid, and get a good base on the track again.

I went out tonight to help my neighbor out of a 3.5ft snow drift he drove his quad into. That's when I decided to work on ole deadly turn 4. It might turn out ok, it might not. Right now it's the only track on 9 miles of ice.

So as it happens Chris, today I received a catalog from my favorite Chinese hobby supplier and low and behold:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=10973

You can make an account and add that item to your wish list and when they get it, you get an email notifying you. It's the same exact camera, different color case. They have other cam equipment too, do a search.

Hey Gary races RC boats too, we'll be racing this summer.

riverrat
01-30-2011, 07:45 PM
I hope some 110mph sled doesn't meet up with my track.....

JohnR.
01-30-2011, 08:01 PM
Believe me, a 110mph sled hopes it doesn't meet up with your track too. :) I blasted through the one down by Awosting on Friday night at at least 50 or 60 and my heart stopped for second. Luckily the suspension on that thing is pretty good and it sucked up the berm rather effortlessly.

John

riverrat
01-30-2011, 08:25 PM
Oh, and I take it back Chris, that camera is better than mine, in the same frame though.

riverrat
01-30-2011, 08:27 PM
I should go put my cones on the track, I just hope someone doesn't steal them. I only have 3. I think at least one is reflective, that might give advance warning.

riverrat
01-30-2011, 08:30 PM
Wait this one Chris, is in stock:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=13987

ChrisD
01-30-2011, 09:02 PM
$12?!?! That's awesome! If those banks are as high as you say, someone is in for a world of hurt if they come along that track at night. Usually no one is out there Sunday through Thursday anyway. I'm worried about the storm coming. Any weather updates?

Gary is a real nice guy. I only met him last year. I think he has a bunch of property in Jersey with a motocross track on it.

JohnR.
01-30-2011, 09:28 PM
NOAA is saying 3-7 on Tuesday. Then COLD Thursday night, down to 1*. Brrrrrrr!!

Gotta take a few minutes this weekend and take a ride down the lake with me on the sleds. I'm learning some of the trails off the lake by Awosting, we can ride Turtle Pond and Jungle Habitat. Actually, we can ride more than just that but its safer at night.

John

ChrisD
01-30-2011, 09:44 PM
I'm up for that. We used to go back there with the trikes years ago. Are you going into the woods by the cove between Awosting and South Shore Marina?

riverrat
01-30-2011, 10:01 PM
I need a sled :(

JohnR.
01-30-2011, 10:15 PM
Yup. We go in there and can get wherever we want.

Anthony, you can get back there with your quad and ride the trails. We beat them in pretty good, I had no problems going on them with my quad.

John

ChrisD
01-30-2011, 10:28 PM
One time we went back there before they put the new road through and I went down the big hill by Jungle Habitat on Bill's Big Red and couldn't get back up through the deep snow and had to ride the roads back. It was a long ride on that thing with a top speed of like 45 mph. Good thing there were no cops.

riverrat
01-30-2011, 11:28 PM
Getting there will take some doing, and if we get more snow, I may not even make it out on the lake. I already had to plow a "superhighway" out to the track. I mean I can drive across the lake, but it is just beating on my machine.

ChrisD
01-31-2011, 12:31 AM
Well, I was at the hospital all night with my daughter. She had a rash and swelling in her legs that made it painful to walk. She will be OK. I got home and finished putting a new bearing carrier in my 330. I had a tapered bearing carrier in there that would not take enough slack out of the chain. It was fine with the TRX swingarm, but not the Westcoast. For the past 2 years I have been sweating a slightly (2 inches of slack) loose chain....well not really, but I don't want it to bite me, so I just put a double row carrier in. All fixed! I also ditched the O ring chain for a non O ring for less drag. Nothing like working on your bike until 11:30PM. I am going to be dragging at work tomorrow.

riverrat
01-31-2011, 07:50 AM
I hope your daughter gets better!

Should I skip work this morning and maybe take the last ride on the lake before the storm? I hope it all froze last night, it is like 12 degrees here. This storm looks like it is going to be a real mess. They are saying 3-6 now, with a possible 1/2" of ice accumulation to end it. The ice scares me.

ChrisD
01-31-2011, 08:33 AM
Thanks Anthony, she should be fine. That sucks. I have been watching the weather and it doesnt look good for GWL or icefest. I would get some riding in if I were you. Keep me posted as we plan to be up there Saturday morning.

Bryan Raffa
01-31-2011, 08:34 AM
callin for a foot here tuesday.. man I hope we dont get it...

riverrat
01-31-2011, 11:08 AM
So I went to go out, but my flooding* trick didn't finish freezing. It looks awesome though. Maybe tomorrow before the storm starts. Putting on the pt pipe now, I wanted to try it. Hey Chris I bought a set of Billy's ss exhaust hangers.

riverrat
01-31-2011, 01:21 PM
Well I went out on it anyway, just stayed away from those areas that weren't strong. I had to try that PT pipe. Seemed like it had more bottom, and more top than my pipe, I loved it. I could pull some awesome wheel stands. I was actually hitting 5th down the straights....AND I have all the correct pipe hangers on my exhaust now. Next is to do the front fork seals. My forks are bleeding all over the place. I think I learned something today about tire pressure too, as it relates to tuning for the turns.

JohnR.
01-31-2011, 06:17 PM
Good to hear she is OK Chris. Hopefully we can get out there again. If there's a lot of snow at IceFest I might end up bringing both sleds, the trikes, and the plow quad.

Its a little rough riding all the way down there right now Anthony but if you follow the main "path" that the snowmobiles have made down the lake its not that bad. After this storm the trails might be done though. Glad that pipe worked for you, the "Hi-Rev" name is a bit of a misnomer IMHO. It works all around, I used to love mine even in the woods.

John

ChrisD
01-31-2011, 07:45 PM
If theres a lot of snow at Icefest, then I'm bringing more beer. Are you bringing Mike's R out there? Are they going with you? I hope to hit the lake with my stocker to break it in but wont stud the front tire in case I end up breaking it in on east shore road instead.

JohnR.
01-31-2011, 07:53 PM
The plan is to bring Mike, Colleen, and his R with us. I might be out there with you on my T3. :)

ChrisD
01-31-2011, 08:15 PM
ESRRA! I still have the card. Do you remember that?

JohnR.
01-31-2011, 09:11 PM
MUAHAHAAHA! I sure do. I think I have one somewhere too.

Bryan Raffa
01-31-2011, 09:26 PM
hey if theres a ton of snow ... I'm gonna concentrateing on a giant oval just a heads up..

you guys need a chatt room...lmao!

JohnR.
01-31-2011, 09:30 PM
Sounds good to me. It would be fitting since it is Daytona weekend and all. :mad:

ChrisD
01-31-2011, 09:42 PM
You know, Mr. Raffa, you will have to come to Greenwood Lake to race with us. The competition can get pretty tough with the quads out there, but is a great group of people to tear it up with. One of us can put you up for a weekend.

riverrat
02-01-2011, 01:09 AM
hey if theres a ton of snow ... I'm gonna concentrateing on a giant oval just a heads up..

you guys need a chatt room...lmao!

Keep in mind the weight of the snow could cause the outer edges to weep water. If it is going to go down below 10-15 degrees at night, then do what I did, and plunge cut the turns near the snow, and let the water come up and freeze. It relives the weight of the snow, and makes a little ice dam to prevent more water from coming on the track.
If I come to icefest, I will probably just be bringing 3 trikes, if I can fit them all on my bed. No quad.

riverrat
02-01-2011, 01:11 AM
Oh, and I got a question for you guys, does the 10" rim that fits on the hondas fit on the tecates? I have someone asking me to make two of them.

riverrat
02-01-2011, 09:07 AM
Oh it ain't pretty outside, I am glad I grabbed a few laps yesterday.

ChrisD
02-01-2011, 10:44 AM
We got ice. The M5 is immobile ( it barely gets traction when its dry :-) ) so I took my truck and got an early morning surprise. All of the warning lights on the dash lit up. I made an appointment to drop it off tonight, but may not make it up there if I can't get it fixed by Friday. Maybe I can rent a truck.

You may have to swap the tires out for dirt tires and the three of us can run a road course through Forest Park and Forest Knolls. The neighbors will love that.

riverrat
02-01-2011, 10:50 AM
The snow is probably too deep for that ChrisD, plus whatever we get. There is some serious drifts out there, I know, I had to help my neighbor out of a 3ft drift.

I don't know what to do right now, plow the track, or wait. I have feeling this may be the end. Not to mention the road going down to the beach is getting smaller and smaller. I hope to get my chains today.

ChrisD
02-01-2011, 11:19 AM
I don't like the forecast but it is funny and scary at the same time...7-12 inches of snow, then 1/2 inch of ice, then heavy snow and sleet tonight. I hope you have plenty of beer...um, I mean hot chocolate. It's time to ride the roads!!! Youre right, you do need a sled and so do I.

riverrat
02-01-2011, 12:37 PM
Guess what Chris, they are predicting another coastal storm for the weekend.....This ice could cripple us though, and running out of room to put snow. I should go soup up my snow thrower, lol it's the only thing I will be using.

JohnR.
02-01-2011, 09:06 PM
The 11" wheel fits the Tecate from what I can remember. The bolt pattern is the same. I don't know if it will clear the caliper. I want to do one for my T3 but got too many other things to wrap up on it.

John

riverrat
02-01-2011, 11:17 PM
11" wheel? What about a 10" wheel? I might be ordering a few for conversion, let me know if you want one.

BTW, a Prairie 360 with 4 chains on it plows snow like a monster. I was able to plow the inside of the track, more in, could never do that before. I did the 4" that was there in one pass, and cleared the track off, now ice is falling on it.

JohnR.
02-01-2011, 11:31 PM
Sorry. I meant to say, the 11" Honda fits so the bolt pattern is the same but IDK about other clearances. How much is one of those wheels?

I have been wanting to order chains for my 4x4 for a few years, I figured it'd be a beast with them on there when plowing the ice.

John

ChrisD
02-01-2011, 11:42 PM
That's great to hear about your plow bike Anthony. Hopefully we will get out there this weekend. My truck is ALIVE again. I looked up the error issue on the internet and it gave a number of issues from a loose gas cap to a bad O2 sensor to a bad computer.....well, when I got home from work on the train, checked the gas cap and sure enough it was loose. I reminded my wife to close the cap when she fills the tank. I should be good to go for the weekend. I still don't know if I will have the 250, but hope to.

riverrat
02-02-2011, 08:38 PM
*update on the ice*
Well the snow was very heavy, and the water is seeping up everywhere. It will probably be good enough to ride down the whole lake by the weekend, but maybe slush spots? Anyway, the track is flooded, straights and all, and if it freezes like this, it will be awesome. Plus I plowed the inside two passes in, so any width I lost from the last snowfall, we got back to the inside now. I will check it tomorrow and the next day and let you guys know.

Bryan Raffa
02-02-2011, 08:54 PM
That's great to hear about your plow bike Anthony. Hopefully we will get out there this weekend. My truck is ALIVE again. I looked up the error issue on the internet and it gave a number of issues from a loose gas cap to a bad O2 sensor to a bad computer.....well, when I got home from work on the train, checked the gas cap and sure enough it was loose. I reminded my wife to close the cap when she fills the tank. I should be good to go for the weekend. I still don't know if I will have the 250, but hope to.

we get one a day at the shop LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ChrisD
02-02-2011, 11:56 PM
I bet you see all sorts of stuff. I'm just glad it wasn't a $2500 computer issue. I had no idea why my dash lit up. I usually never drive the truck except in bad weather and to trailer the bikes. Well, now I know and I'm glad it's OK.

Anthony, that's great. Tom and I will be there Saturday morning unless the storm that is predicted is way worse than expected. I was working on the 250 and I have master cylinder issues, as well as waiting on the base studs. I think I really may have to sell it and get a golfcart or dirtbike.

riverrat
02-03-2011, 12:12 AM
I drove Garys 450 last weekend, it drives like a cadillac compared to the 3 wheeler.

riverrat
02-03-2011, 10:08 PM
Update on the ice***

Well it started to freeze, and could hold the weight of the quad, but not good yet, hopefully tonight it will finish freezing. That is the good news, the bad news is 3-7 on *saturday starting at 7am (John posted that forecast). Who knows what will happen after that. I went out to night to check ont he track, and got stuck, lol 110 to the rescue. Check out how I got myself out. I had to walk home to get a shovel and the 110, then I towed the 110 home.

JohnR.
02-03-2011, 10:44 PM
Supposed to get brutally cold tonight and tomorrow night. It should be good by then. Hopefully we get on the low side of 3 - 7 inches. If we don't end up on the track on Saturday then lets hit the woods on the 4x4's.

Bryan Raffa
02-03-2011, 11:27 PM
I drove Garys 450 last weekend, it drives like a cadillac compared to the 3 wheeler.

you know I should ...:banned: you for atleast 24hrs!:lol:

ChrisD
02-03-2011, 11:29 PM
I got my new helmet camera today. It's pretty sweet. I can record in HD 30 frame or 60 frame per second, black and white, vivid color, picture negative, night mode and a couple other modes. Pretty cool. The crappy part is that I did not get the parts for the 85R so hopefully they will come tomorrow and I will bring it to NY and put it together Sunday morning. I'm actually thinking of bringing the SX to ride the roads if it snows all day Saturday. I need a sled.......

Bryan Raffa
02-03-2011, 11:31 PM
Im waiting on mine,,, just got 4 new SD cards gettin ready for it hahahahaha!

ChrisD
02-03-2011, 11:35 PM
sweet!!! there should be some good video for icefest if a couple people have helmet cameras. I hope to get a couple 32GB SD cards tomorrow. Come on Bryan, hop in the truck and race with us this weekend at GWL. It's not really that far. I'm driving 4 hours to get there.

Bryan Raffa
02-03-2011, 11:39 PM
sweet!!! there should be some good video for icefest if a couple people have helmet cameras. I hope to get a couple 32GB SD cards tomorrow. Come on Bryan, hop in the truck and race with us this weekend at GWL. It's not really that far. I'm driving 4 hours to get there.

I cannot afford that with the dunes right after the fest! ..I got alot to do!

ChrisD
02-04-2011, 12:11 AM
I understand, but it's just gas. Everything else is free. We owe you for some good times at your place. I wish I were going to the dunes with you guys but i have a trip to Disney in the spring which will kill the budget. I can't wait for Ice Fest! It should be a great time!

aldochina
02-04-2011, 01:07 AM
man you guys are always out tearing it up!! Riverrat, what you drive a stake in the ice and use it to wench out?? Nice!! I look forward to meeting you guys at raffa's. Maybe sometime i could make the venture out and ride with ya's. Too bad you guys are all so far west of me. Sometimes you forget how big NY is. i'm pretty much on the eastern border!!

JohnR.
02-04-2011, 05:52 PM
We're not west, we're only a 30 minute drive from the Hudson River.

riverrat
02-05-2011, 12:13 AM
Good catch aldochina! I took my chainsaw and cut a slit in the ice (got wet) then stuck the shovel in (take note, this is a really old, old, old shovel) Then put my winch on it. I pulled so hard, I stalled the winch, and the shovel held. So I did a combination of throttle/winch alternating and trying to climb out of the hole. Then I hooked up the 110 behind me and towed it and all my stuff home.

riverrat
02-06-2011, 01:14 AM
mmmm, wonder what the track looks like, we had rain all day, and now it's 36. I hope the top freezes, then we can go for longer rides.

riverrat
02-07-2011, 12:25 PM
Well it was pretty slick, but we managed a few laps which was good for Chris and Tom who needed to test their bikes. we all got wet, lol. The super highway is a lake. More snow this week. Just sucks. The whole lake got soaked, and we could probably ride the whole lake if it didn't snow. It's like a giant slush pit right now.

riverrat
02-09-2011, 12:45 AM
This weekend lookin to be shaping up good! I think we will be able to ride the whole lake, and the track will be mint on Sat morning, sloppy later on in the day, then good again Sunday morn. I won't be able to get out until 11:30 Sunday though, at least I'll get a few laps in until 1 or so. Looks like a few coming already.

The stupid kick starter in my 200X is no good, I have to take the complete motor apart again.....

riverrat
02-09-2011, 08:18 PM
Went out to check the ice today....it's ice lol. J/k, the track is absolutely perfect, except for the hard as a rock berms now (berms are about a foot high), and we can ride across the whole lake. A bit bumpy, but I think this weekend will be as good as it gets. I'm thinking giant bon-fire on the ice and beer after some cruising and laps. SAT. We should do hot dogs and stuff.

JohnR.
02-10-2011, 07:33 PM
I can do that. Saturday is always a busy day since Emily has soccer until 2pm but its staying light kind of late. I feel bad she hasn't gotten out on her quad yet so maybe we'll hang out Saturday evening? Let me know what to bring and I'm there. Going to PA to hit some snowmobile trails on Sunday so I gotta take it easy on the beers.

riverrat
02-10-2011, 11:11 PM
Sounds good. I'll gather the wood, and at sunset we'll light it up. We can play around close to the beach on the mini's. The track is absolutely awesome right now. And you can ride across the lake no problem, but not wide open, a bit bumpy. You can pick spots to open it up.
A bunch of motorcycle guys ripped up the track today, and me and my buddy on his quad. It's still in great shape, very fast.
Can you bring the dogs if I get the wood? BYOB. I'm just having a few, I have a long Sunday after that.

JohnR.
02-10-2011, 11:16 PM
Sure. I can do that. I'm off tomorrow and would hang out if you're around but I have a bunch of running around to do.

riverrat
02-11-2011, 12:27 AM
If my day goes smooth, I could do some laps in the afternoon. Gotto fix my bike though, almost lost a wheel, and oblonged the lug holes.

Bryan Raffa
02-11-2011, 12:33 AM
cant you two call each other? LOL! Hey you ever gonna do some Racing down there or just B BOP IT!:lol:

riverrat
02-11-2011, 07:36 AM
We got no tri-Z's to wipe up the track with.....j/k

ChrisD
02-11-2011, 08:12 AM
Hey this is a family oriented thread. If you guys want to talk smack, take it over to the icefest thread!

Bryan Raffa
02-11-2011, 08:29 AM
Bahahahaha!!!

ChrisD
02-12-2011, 11:52 AM
My trailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro wife turned this weekend into a mess and told me never to come back if I went to GWL this weekend, so I will not be out there with you guys. You guys don't know how lucky you are. I've got the 85R started and she's got flat track tire on her now. I guess I'll break her in on the back road.

riverrat
02-12-2011, 11:20 PM
Chris, I feel your pain, but it's ok, you got a great family and kids, don't sweat it. Family comes first! I was the only 3 wheeler out there today, I did my best to represent. a few ppl commented how fast I was. I past a few 450's today. We did a giant bon-fire and bbq, good times. The track was smokin, they tore it up pretty good today. Gary got his hero cam, and hopefully got some good shots.

aldochina
02-13-2011, 01:41 AM
sounds like you guys have fun up there on the weekends!! i'll have to google it, maybe i could take a ride out sometime!!

aldochina
02-13-2011, 01:45 AM
i shoulda said down there!! lol, not bad you guys are just 2 short hrs south of me!! definately a do-able day trip!! maybe sometime after icefest, before the ice is gone!!

riverrat
02-15-2011, 08:36 PM
Well this weekend was awesome. Sat did a BBQ with the neighbors and friends who ride here. With a bon-fire, then Sun was nuts. Seems like eveyone found my track, and it was the last track on the lake. Over 60 ppl on it racing easy. They wore out almost 12" of ice, until the ice started to split and leak. After the warm up yesterday, the track is shot. Giant 4ft holes in turns 1 and 2, and ice/water/ice in turns 3 and 4. There was just about every kind of vehicle there from dune buggy to 2x2 motorcycles. Some pics:

ChrisD
02-15-2011, 09:09 PM
Cool pics....once again, I hate my wife!!! I wish I was there last weekend.

riverrat
02-16-2011, 11:06 AM
I stopped in Unique cycle to get a missing thrust washer for my 200X and he had a bunch of pictures from the outing at Mike's house with you in them. I also met the guy who rolled the quad, nice guy.