PDA

View Full Version : Ferrari left to rot, I don't get it.

xsrock
01-16-2011, 04:50 PM
This Ferrari 308 has been parked for the last year or so in the yard next to a job I have been working on. The windows were left open until about 2 weeks ago. Squirrels got inside and chewed on the interior, rain and snow got inside of it. The guy I am working for said he talked to the owner about it and the guy didn't care. I don't get how someone can let something like this happen. At least put it inside or put a tarp over it or something. I doesn't help that it is one of my favorite cars of all time. I don't think it is for sale and I couldn't afford to fix it up even if it was. Just burns my trailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro to see it though.

inv3ctiv3
01-16-2011, 05:38 PM
The 308 is known as being the biggest POS ferarri ever built.

hang&rattle
01-16-2011, 05:39 PM
I have yet to understand the mental capacity at which people who are like that. Farmers here will hold on to everything and collect it in a field. When they buy a new truck the old running truck gets parked and there it will sit for the rest of its life. When they move out of their house into a new one, the old one just sits, they will not rent it or sell. They must feel a sense of power when they can 'posses'. IDK. Self-centered people are jerks. These type of Americans are the wasteful type in which everything is disposable, ironic, 3-wheeler owners try to salvage as much as possible and re-use, lol.

fugget1
01-16-2011, 05:47 PM
I dont know a single farmer that lets anything useful just sit and rot. In my experience, which is alot, it may run but is somehow unrepairable, or uninspectable, and is useless except for parts. But any Ferrari is still a fun pimpin ride. I certainly dont get that.

WilliamJ
01-16-2011, 07:01 PM
The 308 is known as being the biggest POS ferarri ever built.

Strong words. Have you driven one? What would you prefer (same era).

Bill

leviblue
01-16-2011, 07:18 PM
thats some pricey yard art and in no way folky redneck yard art...... no cinder blocks!!!!!

Mr_RPM
01-16-2011, 07:29 PM
Sentimental value...Farmers keeping old stuff might be a very mild type of hoarding.
If Im the original owner to a 20+ year old truck and its dead and only good for part. id just let it sit.
if your not in need of a side job for money or dont have time, trying to sell something or part it out can be a PITA. especially if It means more to me then what I could get for it.

My 110 sure means more then a few hundred bucks to me, if it were broke then why take the time to sell it when I cant get what i want.

just another view...

but doing that to a Ferrari is different, but an old truck is tolerable.

I had a 92 ranger die from rust and wear but still ran, let it rot for 5 years before scrapping it. advertising and parting would have been a mess and not worth the few extra bucks.

hrspwr
01-16-2011, 07:31 PM
Sometimes the parts needed to fix something are worth more than the complete running vehicle, I could see an old ferrari worth about $10,000 needing $20,000 in repairs.
Still, its a shame they won`t sell it.

Thorpe
01-16-2011, 08:52 PM

Yes... They are kinda turdy... How about a DMC instead...

The resto shop I work in, we did a 1964 Ferrari 330 GT and you wouldnt believe how crusty, rusty, and the years of crappy repairs get done on even a "Ferrari"

code200k
01-17-2011, 12:28 AM
could be a kit car also,based off the fiero chassis

inv3ctiv3
01-17-2011, 12:56 AM

Bill

Nope never driven one but have driven plenty of other exotic/expensive cars. Hell I've owned 4 BMW M3's and still have an M3. Not to mention I live in one of the most expensive zip codes in America. Half my friend own ferraris, carrier gt's, ford gt's etc' the 308 is known for being a pos. Look them up on eBay they are super cheap......

93cr250
01-17-2011, 01:57 AM
go ask him whats wrong with it

NINJA
01-17-2011, 02:31 AM
Look them up on eBay they are super cheap......

Your definition and my definition of "super cheap" are completely different.

http://motors.shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=ferrari+308&_sacat=6001&_dmpt=US_Cars_Trucks&_odkw=&_osacat=6001&bkBtn=&_trksid=p4506.m270.l1313

Thorpe
01-17-2011, 03:03 AM
^^ Holy crap... The one I drove, guy picked up for $11k...

UlsterATCFan
01-17-2011, 04:56 AM
This is sad to see - lets hope this car ends up in the hands of someone who will give it the restoration it deserves

harryredtrike
01-17-2011, 05:39 AM
hey get a tigers hat,grow a mustache,and live in the 80's too cool

andrew j hyman
01-17-2011, 07:37 AM
The 308 is known as being the biggest POS ferarri ever built. I knew this gril her father had a 308 GTB . It was bad ass. I did drive it a lot too. Still a shame to let car sit there and rot . It is still worth good money ..

edog
01-17-2011, 10:19 AM
Doesn't matter if it's a piece of crap or not...It's a Ferrari.....nuff said......they have made a good name for them self.

inv3ctiv3
01-17-2011, 11:44 AM
Yea $25-30k is really cheap IMO for a Ferrari, I just said by Ferrari standards it's known as being not so good which isn't saying all that much cause a "good" Ferrari is still one of the most un-reliable cars ever.

Chazz of Blades
01-17-2011, 01:36 PM
If you think that they are so cheap, why don't you pick us up a few next time you run to the store?

inv3ctiv3
01-17-2011, 03:05 PM
If you think that they are so cheap, why don't you pick us up a few next time you run to the store?

Because why the hell would I want a few late 70's ferrari's? I didn't want this to turn into a pissing match about money I was just stating the reputation that model Ferrari has.

inv3ctiv3
01-17-2011, 03:08 PM
And since we're on the topics of exotics here's a video I filmed a few years back of my friends racing their FORD GT vs another friends BMW M5.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vo2NfSdDYIk

Jeepermc
01-17-2011, 04:10 PM
I about crapped myself the first time I drove by a ferrari up on blocks in someone's backyard in a little town here in washington called Roslyn. Ever heard of the TV show "Northern Exposure"? It was filmed in Roslyn. Anyway...me and a buddy are headed to the hills one day for some sled riding and we come up to a corner and there it is...Red Ferrari very similar to that one with a foot of snow on it up on blocks in a guys backyard... Couldn't believe it.....

Chazz of Blades
01-18-2011, 10:16 PM
I'm looking at getting(as a gift), an Datsun 280Z project, it's about a 8/10 on the project car scale, And I'm loving every second of it. Beautiful car, good engine(2.8l V6), HAULS ASS, and get 30+ mpg.

I think it's an absolutely awesome car, even though its a Datsun.

Brockey
01-18-2011, 10:31 PM
Well call me a redneck. I would rip out the guts and put a wildly built sb chevy motor and tranny in it. Convert it over to what parts I can afford. :)

ironchop
01-19-2011, 02:31 PM
hey get a tigers hat,grow a mustache,and live in the 80's too cool

HAHAHA....ironically, I was just thinking that Robin and Higgins were gonna be pissed at Magnum for leaving the window`s down on Robin`s car for the squirrels to lunch on....looks like TC is gonna be giving Magnum chopper rides around the island from now on (showing my age and my love for Magnum P.I.)

JayBone
01-19-2011, 03:11 PM
Sweet lawn ornament...Go talk to the guy. See if he will get rid of it.

Any car old or new, costs more to restore or pimpout as you youngins say today.

That would be a lifetime project car. no rush, just take your time and a good conversation piece with friends over the next 20 yrs.

xsrock
01-19-2011, 08:57 PM
Ferrari styling is second to none imo. The mechanicals are what keep me from seriously considering one. I would get burned at the stake for it, but that 308 with a chevy 4.3 or a duratec v6 would be sweet. For the sake of my marriage, the best thing I can do is look at it from a distance.

Leadfoot71
01-19-2011, 09:27 PM
The fool that owns this Ferrari is really gonna cry 10 years from now when the best ones start bringing $150,000...or more.

jb2wheels
01-19-2011, 11:46 PM
Is it even a real Ferrari?

brapp
01-20-2011, 12:13 AM
Doesn't matter if it's a piece of crap or not...It's a Ferrari.....nuff said......they have made a good name for them self.

ferari also makes tractors!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Leadfoot71
01-20-2011, 03:31 AM
ferari also makes tractors!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Actually, it was Lamborghini that used to make tractors. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lamborghini

Chazz of Blades
01-20-2011, 04:21 AM
Maybe it's because I'm from Alabama, but I'd drive a Lambo tractor in Santa Barbara anyday.

You should see some of the beast of a tractors around here. You drag race cars, we drag/pull tractors. I've saw some with $50,000 and up put into them, on a single motor and build.

sdb69z28
01-20-2011, 07:11 AM
Lets face it... some people just dont give a trailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro because of being lazy or they just got too much trailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro handed to them as children. I work my ass off for everything and its all kept nice. This guy deserves nothing... My boss buys a brand new corvette ever 3 or 4 years and drives it in the snow and gets salt and trailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro all over it... WTF!!! As far as farmers go, ive never seen a farmer waste anything. They dont have anything to waste they are all going out of business in NY.

Dirtcrasher
01-20-2011, 01:45 PM
Or, it needs a 6K repair so they cover it, block it up...........

inv3ctiv3
01-20-2011, 02:22 PM
It's not uncommon for these cars to need $10-15k repairs....Oil changes cost $1-2k.....

Meat-BoX
01-20-2011, 06:39 PM
I drove past a real nice 68 camaro ss for years with a not for sale sign on it. When I first saw it it was a $10,000 car all day long. After 18-20 years it was rotted into the ground with the sign still on it. What a shame. Someone could of gave it a good home and cared for it. Just like alot of us with the 3 wheelers. Dummies I guess

Chazz of Blades
01-21-2011, 10:01 AM
I know of a Honda Pilot(not the minivan) going to rot at the same place as a 50s or 60s model Mercury Marquis.

These people had the two completely restored, the son didnt want either, and now they are rotting away, and the people want every penny they have in them back(even though they are not nearly worth it since sitting for a few years), or not getting rid of either. Breaks my heart.

WilliamJ
01-21-2011, 07:25 PM
It's not uncommon for these cars to need $10-15k repairs....Oil changes cost $1-2k.....

Not sure why that would be. Good oil is expensive but not THAT expensive and the filters are maybe $20. Otherwise they drain and refill just like any other motor!

Dirtcrasher
01-21-2011, 07:56 PM
^ When you worked at Ace Quick Oil Change for a few years and the bottom guy drained the tranny (by accident) and the top guy dumped 5 more quarts in the motor; Well, all I can say is some oil changes are a nightmare and the filter is near impossible to get to!

I certainly agree that 1-2K for an oil change is about 400% more than I'd imagine, even at Ferrari...........

bigbadktm
01-21-2011, 09:00 PM
damn the only one on that list that i could even think to afford was the stupid kit car

inv3ctiv3
01-22-2011, 02:58 AM
The reason it is so expensive is because it is a ferrari. That's just what my friends generally pay for their oil changes on their ferraris. They say you can't just order the parts and DIY a ferrari mechanic has to do it and labor is crazy expensive, hell bmw labor here is $120+ an hour here.

spoon
01-22-2011, 03:06 AM
I'll keep my Ford for that reason alone. Rot away.

buster-717
01-22-2011, 09:15 AM
man can you get some pics of them
I know of a Honda Pilot(not the minivan) going to rot at the same place as a 50s or 60s model Mercury Marquis.

These people had the two completely restored, the son didnt want either, and now they are rotting away, and the people want every penny they have in them back(even though they are not nearly worth it since sitting for a few years), or not getting rid of either. Breaks my heart.

andrew j hyman
01-22-2011, 09:21 AM
The reason it is so expensive is because it is a ferrari. That's just what my friends generally pay for their oil changes on their ferraris. They say you can't just order the parts and DIY a ferrari mechanic has to do it and labor is crazy expensive, hell bmw labor here is $120+ an hour here. This is why You learn to Work on your Own stuff !! Just take your time and do the job right ! I would like to know what a 308 GTB cost new back then ?

cattle-dog
01-22-2011, 10:24 AM
my father has had a few exotic cars and for the most part things like filters and such do cost a little more but by no means 1-2 thousand for a oilchange, Where invicta lives people pay more just so they have bragging rights lol, the guys who own and wrench on thier own exotics use that money to eather go faster or buy another one.
the guy in the GT40 needs to learn how to shift the front end isnt supposed to drop between shifts lol, that car would leave the best bmw so far in the dust the bmw would drive its self back to the dealership and i like bmw`s. but it was a cool video the cars were sweet.
No car should be put out to rot like that i know of several very rare cars even a factory 427 ford galaxie that met this fate.

swampthang
01-22-2011, 11:19 AM
http://www.carsinbarns.com/ Check this out if you like to see amazingly rare cars rotten to the ground just because some folks are retarded.:(

inv3ctiv3
01-22-2011, 03:43 PM
Lol I dont see why it's so hard to believe, thats generally the cost for an oil change around here, i have no reason to lie about that. You can buy the parts and diy but most people don't, he check this or check google : http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_much_does_a_oil_change_cost_on_a_ferrari

Dirtcrasher
01-22-2011, 04:46 PM
If they have the money for the car purchase in the 1st place, they probably don't bat an eye at a 1500$ oil change. Besides, they top off your fluids and even add windshield wiper fluid sometimes :D

Chris Salerno
01-22-2011, 05:20 PM
i got a camaro doin the samething in my yard it only needs the tranny rebuilt and it would be drivable only difference is i am trying to sell it just dont have any bites

RideRed250R
01-24-2011, 12:55 AM
Nope never driven one but have driven plenty of other exotic/expensive cars. Hell I've owned 4 BMW M3's and still have an M3. Not to mention I live in one of the most expensive zip codes in America. Half my friend own ferraris, carrier gt's, ford gt's etc' the 308 is known for being a pos. Look them up on eBay they are super cheap......

your friend owns a GOD DAMN Carrier GT? F@CK me... dude I wish I were you... 4 BMW M3's.... GOd dam your the man... I worked for the PREMIER Porsche Builder in the country and all I got to work on/drive was the Carrera GT's... DAMN...

btw 308's are NOT known for being turds, they were one of the highest produced ferrari's and one that didnt really have any HUGE pull, they werent GTB 4 cam styling, they werent F40's... they werent california's... it wasnt that they arent nice cars, they just didnt capitalize on the niche market Ferrari owner's are looking for. They are really the poor mans entry ferrari, it doesnt cost you your house to buy and they arent 6,000 dollar clutch jobs either.

350XJEDI
02-03-2011, 02:08 AM
:D yard art:w00t::w00t::beer

xsrock
02-15-2011, 08:45 PM
Was just back at the job beside where the Ferrari sits (its still there, that small rock is still under the tire keeping it from rolling down the hill). I found this Porsche 928 which evidently has been sitting here for a while. I hadn't seen it before since it was just over the crest of the hill from where I was working. Same property and owner though. This dude really likes his (semi) exotic car yard art.

350XJEDI
02-20-2011, 01:23 AM
:Dthats not to bad .needs bullit holes !:twisted: the windows should be open ,hood too!!:lol::lol:

three_wheelin45
02-20-2011, 01:31 AM
lol a kid at my school drives one of them... yea i live in a little hick town and someone happens to drive a ferrari to school... I mean WTF who drives a ferrari to high school?? I should just go key it, little rich boy :mad: :lol:

Chazz of Blades
02-20-2011, 03:11 PM
Then you'd REALLY be grounded.