PDA

View Full Version : Who else owns a 03 Blaster?

lisnup65
10-03-2003, 09:52 AM
I purchased a 2003 Blaster and I tell ya, this thing is a real POS!!!!!!! I have had multiple problems with the float needle in the carb and I am beyond fed up with new crap. This is the second machine that I have purchased new and its the 2nd POS that has had carb issues. I just find it funny that we are charged more and more $ for this stuff and they are made cheaper and cheaper. I have 2 1985 Honda's that have had no issues what so ever and are reliable. I have heard nothing but good things about the Blaster, but after owning one, I can say I will not buy anything but Honda in the future. 18 year old machine that start on 1 or 2 kicks or a new machine that just floods itself out. Hmmmmmm, tough decision.

Any ways, who else has had problems with their machines. I guess the sticking needle is a 2003 isolated problem, but again thats the dealer blowing smoke.

yamaman
10-03-2003, 04:13 PM
I know of 2 people with them,1 of them is my mate they both own 2003 models and have had not one problem with any of them.I know my mates as iv been riding with him,its impressed me enough to be gett9ing one,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Manny55
10-03-2003, 08:41 PM
Lol what do u got to say about this honda300ex. Honda300ex u thikn blasters are the best.

350Xccelerator
10-03-2003, 08:47 PM
i know four people with blasters, two of them 03s, and none of them have had any problem with theirs.

200xman
10-03-2003, 09:13 PM
Maybe it's your dealer??????????? No machine will run worth a dam if it is not set up properly.

YAMAHA_Jim
10-03-2003, 10:03 PM
WHat exactly is your blaster doing or not doing?

A few months after I bought my 2000(new) the carb would leak gas from the overflow tube on hard landings or hard impacts or jarring. It took me awhile to figure out why the float would stick open. Where the float pushes the needle down to stop fuel,the metal tab had an indentation in it and the needle was hanging up on it. I expained what happened to my yami dealer and he said He never heard of such a thing in all his 30 something yrs of business. After I installed the new float I never had the problem again.New float is around $22
Just because something has a minor mechanical problem doesnt make it a P O S. If your blaster is such a P O S, I'll give you $500 for it.

YAMAHA_Jim
10-03-2003, 10:13 PM
one more thing,,, Blasters are not being made any diffrently than they were in 1988. The same goes for banshees and warriors.The price increase covers yamaha employee raises ,bonus' and research and development of new machines(raptor and yzf450).

Dynofox
10-03-2003, 11:59 PM
My brother has an 03 blaster with a pro circuit system and loves it. Just add gas and oil and ride! :D

lisnup65
10-06-2003, 10:10 AM
The issue at hand is the carbs on all the 03 Yamaha machines. As a cost costing measure Yamaha changed the float needle to a different material. This is what is causing the problems!! When I took my machine back in for service, they had 6 others in with the same issue. They would normally clean up the needle and seat and out the door they would go. Well cause of returns they are now replacing the parts. The Yamaha's for the most part are assembled the same, but cost cutting measures are always in effect regardless if you beleive it or not. I manage production and assembly and if I can cut cost by $.02 per piece its a done deal. Its all about the bottom line.
Some issues with carb problems in my area are blammed on the fact that we have to use reformulated fuels. These fuels leave a filmy substance in the jets if you do not turn off the gas and drain the bowl. That may be an issue, but it still does not explain why the 1985 250R and 350X do not have these problems.

To further explain the problem. The float needle will either stick open or closed. Of course stuck open means the machine floods and it dumps out the over fill, and closed means that no gas , no go!

Besides that the machine has been good to me and the wife. Its just frustrating that the 2 newest machines I have that were both purchased brand new have carb issues. I vented and I will vent again until the same sorta issues happen on the kings dependability(Old Honda machines).

lisnup65
10-06-2003, 10:11 AM
one more thing,,, Blasters are not being made any diffrently than they were in 1988. The same goes for banshees and warriors.The price increase covers yamaha employee raises ,bonus' and research and development of new machines(raptor and yzf450).Please see above as that is not true. Your local dealer can verify as part #'s are being changed for the same part which means it was changed.

lisnup65
10-06-2003, 10:12 AM
Just because something has a minor mechanical problem doesnt make it a P O S. If your blaster is such a P O S, I'll give you $500 for it.

I agree and was simply venting because of frustration with the issue at hand.

YAMAHA_Jim
10-06-2003, 09:32 PM
The price increase covers yamaha employee raises ,bonus' and research and development of new machines(raptor and yzf450).

That was meant as a joke.Honestly I have no idea why the price goes up every yr. I also didnt know the 03 float needle was different.

TimSr
10-06-2003, 11:22 PM
That may be an issue, but it still does not explain why the 1985 250R and 350X do not have these problems.

My 86 250R has been leaking through the needle and seat since I got it 4 years ago. I replaced the needle, and seat, and have properly set teh floats, and it still drips when I park it. I gave up, and just resigned to shut the gas off when it sits.

Piece of crap Honda! My TriZ never leaked through the float needle, and its a year older!

Tri-Z Pilot
10-07-2003, 04:27 AM
I have a 2001 blaster which I absolutely love. The only problems I have had are piston meltdowns(my fault didnt rejet after getting pipe) and as far as blasters not changing since 1988, its true. The number changes are a little head game that yamaha likes to play, I have noticed that different yamahas have the same parts parts on them, but the numbers are different example-tri-z 110 4 bolt hubs are the same as blaster 110 4 bolt hubs, but guess what, different numbers.

YAMAHA_Jim
10-07-2003, 09:54 PM
Blasters and tri-z's are 4x100 . I know yamaha changed alot of part#'s the last few yrs.

Tri-Z Pilot
10-09-2003, 02:07 AM
My bad thoght they were 4 on 110