PDA

View Full Version : who lives in or around Irving TX, or anyone that has info that can help

yooperman
01-18-2011, 03:13 PM
I'm looking at going back to school, looking at trade school. Can't stand sitting behind a desk. I'm looking at going for HVAC, machinest or welding. I have to narrow it down. Since I get good benefits through the post 9/11 GI bill from being deployed. So was wondering if any one has info on these careers for me, job wise, stability,income which one would be a better one to get into. I found this trade school in irving TX for HVAC, any one live in irving TX or near there have any info on it. Or info on any other ones, or info that could help me out on my decision would be awsome.

Thanks fellow trikers

This is the link to the school.

http://www.lindseycooperschool.com/index.php

yooperman
01-19-2011, 06:06 AM
Bumping it back to the top some gotta know something.

twitch101
01-19-2011, 08:38 AM
im 20 and in commercial hvac (huge stuff currently doing the barret jackson among other large events). hvac is a great challenge and you sometimes have to use your imagination cause your workin on what you cant really see. the money is really good if you find the right place to hire you. im currently making 11.75 out of high school but in august im jumping to no lower than 19 an hour. i wouldnt do residential hvac though god no. hate attics.

kasey200x
01-19-2011, 08:40 AM
Well between machinist and welding there two pretty different jobs. If you would rather stay in a shop, probably heated, then it's the machinist job. If you like to move around, probably make a little more, then it's welding hands down. I should(knock on wood) have a job at the plant in Pear Land in a couple week's making 30 dollar's an hour welding for them.
Work is defiantly hard to find out here, especially in the blue collar statue. Good luck!

Thorpe
01-19-2011, 08:43 AM
I am just wrapping up HVAC myself, after spending the last 9 years fabricating. Seems as though, even when the economy sucks, HVAC is still doing ok... Peple cant/wont live without heat and air, businesses require their coolers and so forth. They may not spend the money for new, but cant afford not to have it fixed... And its a impossible field to outsource th China/India.... Welding sucks, sweaty and hot all the time! (spent too many summers with a welding torch in my hands)

yooperman
01-19-2011, 09:00 AM
thanks fellas appreciate the help. That's the one I'm leaning toward HVAC, just gotta find a decent school around LA, and figure out this GI bill stuff, good thing my wife is the brains lol. And specailly now that a kid is in the picture gotta look for the future. I'm just real cautious with college stuff since I dropped out once because ran out of money. Then I went back into constrution, then went driving over the road, just want something better to provide better for my family.
Thanks again fella's
Hey thorpe how's the weather been there in MN? You guys getting hammered with snow lately? I was about 6 hours from mineapolis.

Thorpe
01-19-2011, 11:10 AM
Last few days havent had but a few flurries... Suppose to get more on friday... I am however loving the temp... of 1 degree F at the moment!

twitch101
01-19-2011, 12:40 PM
Hey casey what plant you lookin at? I live in pearland. You talking about weatherford or the steel mill?

Dirtcrasher
01-19-2011, 03:05 PM
HVAC - If you build duct, it gets monotonous. If you install it, it can be challenging but beating the other guys to the job site can be difficult. Then everyone is in everyones way. If you service it and your any good, it's not very hard but can be difficult at times with strange problems. BUT, you work on roofs all the time and in any type of weather. There will always be service.

If I could go back and be a CNC machinist or toolmaker, I'd do that in a heart beat. You have to use your head and the things you can do are amazing. It's indoors in a conditioned environment. But, how much manufacturing is there in the US??

If I were a welder I'd want to be a pipefitter welder or underwater welder; The money is unbelievable......

Welding 250 pieces of angle iron to a piece of flat stock would drive me nuts. Thats production welding.

kasey200x
01-19-2011, 11:21 PM
More than likely weatherford. I've been talkin to the boss man over there, and he said he would let me know as soon as he know's something. If you'd like i will let you know what jobs are open when i get the info. They fired 28 people last week, so they surely have more than one spot lol

twitch101
01-20-2011, 08:34 AM
nah im set on work. i just work right next to weatherford at aggreko thanks anyway man good luck on it. hope they have you out there cleaning the drill bits with hot steam all day like the do the others haha