PDA

View Full Version : rebuilding a 400ex tranny ??

bugler30
01-19-2011, 09:16 PM
found a deal on a 02 400ex, says 3rd and 4th are going out due to bent shift forks or something (although DC says that is a rare problem) so it might be the gears themselves. My question is, how much work is it to rebuild these? do I have to spilt the case, etc. thanks

Nightmare
01-19-2011, 11:27 PM
If you get parts of ebay It is relatively cheap. Otherwise you can find the parts on bike bandit, plus you'll need to find someone to press the gears on and off other tranny shafts.

ATC-Eric
01-19-2011, 11:37 PM
I run a powersports shop. That is roughly a $500 job if you were to come in as a customer. You can get a set of forks and drums from ebay for around $30, a whole transmission set for $150. I would assume the worst, and just say it needs a whole swap. That way there's no fun little surprises when you get inside.

You have to split the cases, basically take the whole engine apart. Make sure you have a manual if you do this on your own. I would suggest a new set of rings for the job. Once you pull the piston out of the cylinder, the rings will not re-seat the same as they were, and you may run into a smoking issue quickly. If your interested, I would work you a killer deal if you want to ship the engine out for me to do. I warranty my work.

bugler30
01-20-2011, 03:32 AM
I have a little experience in rebuilding the engine out of a 200x and my cousin has torn the bottom end apart on it and managed to successfully put it back together so I think we can handle the work. But thanks for the offer.

So for parts I'm looking at:
Complete gasket set
Rings (hone if needed)
Complete Transmission from fleabay

I think I'm going to try and make the deal then :) it will be nice to have something to run while I rebuild my 350x which I expect to be a 6-8 week project. I just hope I dont end up liking the the quad better than my trike :lol: yeah... right