PDA

View Full Version : my new toy - not a trike

bugler30
01-22-2011, 05:01 AM
:D

2002 400ex stage 2 cam, kfx 400 exhaust, pretty nice over all came with a set of geeky high school girls (tall skinny knobbies) and a set of sand star paddles. runs good other than having way old (probably ethanol) fuel in it biggest problem is 3rd gear doesn't want to stay in thinking bent shift fork not 100% though will have find out when I get the case tore apart and look at it. but even if I have to replace a drum or gears I'm still in the green as I only paid 1k for the bike.

http://i426.photobucket.com/albums/pp349/bugler30/IMG_2041.jpg

http://i426.photobucket.com/albums/pp349/bugler30/IMG_2040.jpg

http://i426.photobucket.com/albums/pp349/bugler30/IMG_2039.jpg

but don't worry I still know :TrikesOwn

edit: purchased a complete transmission with shift forks and drum, full gasket set with all new seals, and piston rings. Total damage about $250

jmax857
01-22-2011, 04:21 PM
looks clean.

bugler30
01-23-2011, 04:31 AM
its ok, the plastics definitely show that its been rode hard nice big crack on front left fender and the left side mount for the fender brace on the rear plastics is broke off and there is a hole in the plastic these plus other small scratches and gouges but overall is nice. Can't wait to be able to ride it, trading the skinny knobbies on it to someone that knows what they are doing for the engine work, have a set of trailpro that I could use for a dirt tire. I don't really ride dirt often as I mostly ride in the sand dunes so don't give me too much crap about using trailpro ;)

and the seat cover is pretty well shot so that is on the list of things to replace but I want to get it riding first :D

bugler30
01-29-2011, 06:27 AM
parts all got here except the gasket set which I'm hoping to see today, got the motor tore apart and found the only problem was the shift drum, gears and shift forks were all good. Some pics for now

http://i426.photobucket.com/albums/pp349/bugler30/IMG_2046.jpg
http://i426.photobucket.com/albums/pp349/bugler30/IMG_2047.jpg
http://i426.photobucket.com/albums/pp349/bugler30/IMG_2049.jpg

Mr_RPM
01-29-2011, 11:34 AM
anything else in the engine to go with the stage 2 cam? I had a stage 2 "HotCam" cam shaft with 11:1 piston and full pipes, few other small things and it ripped.

When you say KFX400 exhaust, you mean just the silencer right? headers look stock. the inside of the stock headers have a weld right in the begging out of the engine and I think i read grinding them down can increase flow 13% (?), if true, it would help that cam out with a higher comp piston. =) =P

bugler30
01-29-2011, 06:52 PM
its got a stock comp piston, I don't want to make it too hairy cause I want to be able to let less experience people ride it. I plan on still riding my trike most of the time once its finished

Mr_RPM
01-29-2011, 10:28 PM
cool, its nice to have an extra machine around for family and friends. I wonder why they put a stage 2 cam in with no other mods, lol that probably (just my guess) makes it slower then a stage 1 cam woulda done. Oh well, should still be a great machine thats tons of fun to ride, mine sure was.

bugler30
01-30-2011, 04:40 AM
it used to have a white bros silencer on it, and the guy i got it from swapped it out for a stock kfx400 silencer due to the fact the white bros was too loud for the dunes (93db limit). From the little I've ridden it, it seems to have very good low end.

I spent all day working on it, my gaskets I bought on ebay didn't show up today so I went to the Honda dealer and bought an OEM set got the motor back together and like a dumb trailprotrailprotrailpro I busted on of the studs for the spring bolts on the inner clutch basket trying to hold the basket to to torque down the nut. And in the heat of the moment I threw the screwdriver that was in my hand down on the ground and shattered the handle. So I'm going to have an extra gasket set for a 400ex and nothing to show for it, was hoping to be riding tomorrow. And my 350 is down until I get my sprocket bolts and header...

I did however get the motor together and bolted back in the bike and everything (except the clutch) is hooked up. I have the inner basket ordered and will hopefully be here tuesday or wednesday at the latest.

trikes4life
01-30-2011, 11:30 AM
What ever you do don't put a 440 kit in it. I helped my buddy put one in and he always had issues from that day forward. It didn't really gain anything either. For the money i think a good port job would be better.

bugler30
02-01-2011, 12:51 AM
so I ordered a clutch hub on fleabay and its on its way, the guy I bought it from ended up refunding all my money and sending it anyway because he noticed after the fact that the pressure plate on the bottom of the hub has some scoring, don't know how severe it is yet but I'm curious to know if I can just run an additional pressure plate at the bottom of the stack like some aftermarket clutch kits say to do. My concern is it would make the pads and plates not disengage fully and make the clutch stick, has anyone attempted this? Or would I be better off either buying a NEW clutch hub or an after-market kit that is meant for the extra plate. If I can make this one work I'm going to send some money back his way at least to cover his shipping cost, I was VERY impressed that he was that honest and proactive.

bugler30
02-04-2011, 04:08 AM
well it lives, almost caught it on fire in the process. Have to go out of town tomorrow until Saturday evening but hope to get it out and broke in on Sunday.

bugler30
02-06-2011, 11:37 PM
had it out today and got it pretty well broke-in BUT it still is trying to slip out of 3rd. It feels like the gears are spreading apart rather than skipping teeth or slipping out of gear, and its not a very predictable pattern but happens more when its under power.

Decided that mr_rpm was right about the stage 2 cam, it has no bottom end power but decent top end. Going to see about going to a stock cam or finding a aftermarket cam that gives better bottom end. gotta fix the tranny issue first though...