PDA

View Full Version : starter bushing

leevarnado
01-25-2011, 07:51 PM
whats the easiest way to get this bushing out.

Ironbnder
01-25-2011, 09:27 PM
WOW Neighbor, is that the engine you were going to troubleshoot today. If so I guess the compression test did not go well.

If the case is solid and sealed up behind the bushing, pack it with grease and gentley tap a rod or bolt the exact size of the starter shaft into the bushing hole. The grease will pressure up behind the bushing and it will pop right out. This always works to remove pilot bushings from standard flywheels in vehicles. I keep old pilot shafts around just for this. This is the same principle and it should work. Keep adding grease as neccessary. The rod should kinda bounce from the pressure of the grease when you hit it. It should not feel solid but spongy. Keep tapping and adding grease until the bushing falls out.

ATC-Eric
01-25-2011, 09:40 PM
blind bearing puller....... probably be able to borrow one from the local auto store if irons method doesn't work for you. That is a pretty crafty idea though....

leevarnado
01-25-2011, 10:33 PM
ironbuilder,thats not my engine,found that one on ebay,just happen to have the same bushing busted up as mine.but yeah i went to do the compression test today and the engine wouldnt turn over,come to find out it wasnt the starter but the bushing that holds the asm gear shaft,the shaft kicks out of place and wont turn the flywheel over.i gonna try to find that bushing locally but will prob have to end up ordering one.