PDA

View Full Version : bidding against other members??

Trikeaholic
10-05-2003, 06:30 PM
Why do we do this?? I feel that the first one to spot something on ebay has first dibs. I never EVER try to outbid another board member. Thats BS. Heck, all I would have to do is do a bid search by people that have the same or similar bikes to mine, and out bid them at the last second, but that is not cool, AT ALL. How do you guys feel about this subject, and are we going to continue to try to "steal" auctions from eachother? For the record, I only outbid someone on an auction recently, because they did it to me first.

Lots_Of_Nothing
10-05-2003, 06:38 PM
i think its NOT very cool at all........like when i see something very cool on ebay that i want, i dont EVER post the link on here, untill AFTER i buy it, just for that reason.......but hey...what ya gonna do? :rolleyes:

KASEY
10-05-2003, 06:44 PM
its really hard to know everyones user names on all the sites,,, i try not to bid against people i know BUT!! sometimes there are things that i really need and if i am willing to spend more well thats an auction,,,,,

jeswinehart
10-05-2003, 06:46 PM
i only run into this once about 2 years ago against MrAtc (bill casey).
we didn't know till auction end, or at least put 2 + 2 together and it was him that e-mailed me saying what his reserve was after it ended cuz i e-mailed him + said i was out and good luck ( hit my high point money wise ). we joked about it at trikefest #2 (even though i racked up the bid a bunch more).
i set a limit on to what i want to spend for a part and that is basically it, don't much matter who else is in the running,,, that's just the way i do it.

john

Howdy
10-05-2003, 06:55 PM
I have out bid others from the site myself. I have even out bid my own Dad at a few local auctions ( he has gotten me a few times also ). We even chuckle about it now and then.
My feelings are to bid your max you wil go. If another member will go more then so be it. I know when I sell on ebay I hope I get lots of bids. lol

Bottom line is if someone wants the item more than me Bid away. It's fair game. I also have ask a few people if they would end their auction early. I only do this because I have had a few auctions I was wanting ended early. I try to be nice and polite about it when asking also.

With my buying pattern it would be hard to figure out what I am stalking. hehe

BTW, good topic. ;)

Howdy

sean8231
10-05-2003, 08:05 PM
Holic, you just out bid me on that vented # plate(i didnt realize you were also bidding on it, i never look to see who else is bidding before i decide to bid..)... I happened to not be home today till after the auction ended :( (otherwise I would have won :-D ).... I won the matching fork guards from that seller last week, and was trying to complete the set.....

Sean

84250r
10-05-2003, 09:50 PM
Thats the whole reason of an auction,is to BID. I wouldnt think is was personal(well not for me at least)

J.D.
10-05-2003, 11:37 PM
Aw come on, the point of the auction is for a person to win. I got sniped off ebay for a Tri-Z pipe by 1 bid, did I cry? NO, because IT IS PART OF AN AUCTION.

Whining about this is like the local race track officials harassing a friend of mine. His motor is in spec, his car is in spec, but they want him to add 150 pounds of weight because he 'wins too much', and 'he pulls too far away from the pack, he almost laps 2nd place'. Quit whining, it's all part of the game.

NOS_350X
10-05-2003, 11:37 PM
i feel ebay auctions should not be posted on here. you should have to find the items you want. but if your going agenst another member i dont see a probelm with it. it dosent matter who it is you both want it.

Trikeaholic
10-06-2003, 12:37 AM
all Im saying is that everyone gripes about how much stuff costs, and yet we jack the prices up ourselves! I coulda had that number plate for 5 bucks, probably wont even use it. The point is, why should we run prices up on eachother? I really wanted a set of NOS 250r wheels but I saw that another member found them first, so I didnt bid. I also agree with the statement that I would never post a link on here of something I wanted. There is such a thing as being a gentleman, although I guess some people dont see it that way. I guess I can look at it both ways, though. I see the point on either side.

TimSr
10-06-2003, 08:48 AM
Id feel funny about bidding against friends, but everybody knows how an auction works, so I dont see anything wrong with it. Especially in many cases a buddy's "high" bid you know is never going to win. Id rather be outbid by a friend than a stranger!
Also, many board members are sellers, and Id hate to see their product sell way under value (especially if its mine!), because of a "gentleman's " pact to low ball them.
I say bidding should be treated like any other "game", and you should play to win, and still be friends when the game is over, regardless of the winner.

Dan Tenn
10-06-2003, 09:41 AM
Alot of times, I will throw a bid at something just because it is cheap, not because I need it. If I saw that someone here wanted it, I would step out. But if I really want it, I will put in a snipe and wait till its over.

Dirtcrasher
10-15-2003, 12:08 PM
Generally I only bid on items I've been looking for in a certain conditionnad when I want it I WANT IT!! or if I know I can resell it and make a few bucks. I'll outbid my own mother if I have to. You need what you need! But I do love most of you guys :-D

J.D.
10-15-2003, 05:39 PM
But I do love most of you guys :-D

Love you too buddy ;)

bentwrench
10-15-2003, 11:43 PM
But I do love most of you guys :-D

Love you too buddy ;)
But to those of us who also sometimes sell on eBay we remember how you refered to us: blahl, blah, blah, blah. :D

mywifeknowseverything
10-24-2003, 08:55 PM
Ive been a member of ebay for over 4yrs. I have been outbid on things I really wanted and have outbid people on many things I didnt really need. The way I see it no harm no foul!! An auction is just that, AN AUCTION!!!! Now this site is better than ebay. In the 3 weeks that I have been on this site I have already purchased half the bike I am building and all of you got ahold of me!!!! The prices are incredible and the people here are kind!!! What more could you ask for??? I am going to build my whole bike right here on this site. Try doing that on ebay 8) ;)