PDA

View Full Version : Any Ds 650 Owners in here?

trikes4life
01-30-2011, 11:43 AM
Just curious, I've been interested in one for a few years. I'm looking into purchasing one later this year when i Have some $. Any impute or experience would be cool. I'm leaning more to the Baja x model.

Xfile
01-30-2011, 12:07 PM
I don't own one...but my friend has a 01 DS 650. There pretty big and have a good feel for taller riders (like me). I like the suspension. Things I don't like....they seem to be geared to tall and that they would be more at home in wide open spaces (dunes) rather than on tight trails. The steering almost feels to touchy to me, like it's all or nothing...I think more time in the saddle would help with this...If I owned it there are some changes I would make so it would be better suited for me, so I can't give a real good opinion on it's handling characteristics.

briano
01-30-2011, 12:38 PM
I had a 2001 DS650 that I owned for 5 years, I bought it new. I loved it, it rode great and handled awesome, and never a lack of power. They look like they would be really heavy because they are so long and wide, but they are not much heavier than a Raptor 660. I wanted a Raptor back in 01 and my local dealer did not have one and didn't seem to want to find me one so I went and bought the DS, and in my opinion I was better off. My buddy had a Craptor and I didn't like how tall it felt, then when lined up the Raptor was left in the dust every time. All I ever did to it was just regular maintaining, oil changes and such. The chain and sprockets are a 530 and were quite pricey, but there is a kit to run a 520 chain setup and you can gain some power cuz of the weight savings. Good luck with it I think you will be happy, I wouldn't mind getting another one sometime in the future. Also get a manual for it, to change the oil there is a bleeder behind the filter that you have to open after changing oil and it can be a bit of a pain, but not terrible.