PDA

View Full Version : 84 200es Big Red - The Begining

cvb
01-30-2011, 11:09 PM
This is my first Post;
I bought this 200es because it reminded me... "I had a dream" when I was a kid, and I would like to rebuild this thing. Fortunately, or not, its not going to be just about replaceing parts. So while searching the net for some expert tech knowledge concerning my latest aquisition, I came upon this site. (actually I was looking for a service manual) which I found at http://www.tradebit.com for $5 (what a deal). Now on to the important stuff.

the first thing you notice when you look at this trik is this oil cooler under the missing headlight (just bought one on ebay).

when you follow the hoses, you find this. I can certainly remove this whole monstrosity, but if any of you can validate it, I might leave it.. with some ascetic mods of course.

Like the oil cooler, someone really wanted a different ride, but the planning doesn't seem well thought out. the shock spring rubs against the differential, and I am really not sure I trust the welds. and I really dont like the placement.

this is a better view of the layout of this configuration, you probably can't tell but there is 3/8 plate steel in there..! I do like the swing arm attachment, its on a greased brg adapted mount. I like the idea, just not the set up, or the way it looks.

this is a side view of whats under there, I would really like some insight, and or better ideas, before I start cutting all this out.

I am going to be fabricating what ever I can cause money is an issue, else I might just buy a different frame, with the suspension already on it, as was already suggested to me, and I might have to, but I figured I would give you guys a chance to brainstorm something, I am open to any ideas, as I have no problem making it, and doing it better if I can.
thanks in advance for any and all insight.

yooperman
01-30-2011, 11:31 PM
those BR's are tough machines, but that back end sure is back yard hack job that shock dont even look like its mounted strait looks crooked, that oil cooler is a good thought but i dont think it is really needed on a BR i have never had any over heating problems with mine. but they are very tough and reliable machines

cvb
01-30-2011, 11:58 PM
yeah, I got my work cut out for me, I keep thinking I should just get rid of all the "add-on stuff" and take it back to original, but the creative side wants to "re-invent the wheel". I was hoping for some ideas here, thanks for the insight.

cvb
02-25-2011, 12:07 PM
Well, other than the one reply; thanks "yooperman", you guy's are really not alot of help. Perhaps this level of Modification is above above your intellectual capacity ;-). either way, its done now, I replaced the frame and clutch cover, checked and validated ALL the wireing, cleaned and painted everything (I prefer "black"), replaced the CDI unit, cleaned and adjusted the Pulse generator, corrected the timing issue I found, tried and failed to braze all the "pin-holes" I found in the gas tank, so I got a new/used one off ebay, I went with an '85 cause it looks like it has a greater volume capacity, bought new tires, "bear claws" all around. Fixed the cracked or broken fenders, those things are expensive! re-built the carborator and had to fix a few other things but I generally went through it with a fine tooth comb. I would have like to modify it some, but I finally decided to take it back to some level of original. I will post some pictures when I get the gas tank done.

atctim
02-25-2011, 12:18 PM
WOAH! You have an 84 Big Red with rear suspension - I have never seen this done before. Not sure how so many people missed this - possibly because it is in the Mad Scientist Lair!

Post some pics of it cleaned up. the oil cooler was a nice touch too! Dude - sweet trike - very sweet and one of a kind!

MonroeMike
02-25-2011, 12:21 PM
I agree, You'd would probably get more responses, if you reposted this in Trikesylvania.

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/forumdisplay.php?4-Trikesylvania

cvb
02-25-2011, 12:29 PM
I am new to the forum, and thought (maybe my first mistake) that, given the nature of this beast, this was the place to post it. I wanted to keep the rear suspension, but after I looked at it, there really isn't any other place to put the shock, as for the oil cooler, I am keeping the modified clutch cover (just in case, i want to put it back on) but again, other than where its mounted, I couldn't find a place for the cooler that didn't look like somethign "super junky" would recommend!! Can I move this post, or would I have to"re-post". I am not great with Forum "tech". I do have some really good links to sellers on ebay for '84 200es parts if anyone is interested. Not sure if I should post them here.

HONDA_ATC_FREAK
02-25-2011, 02:52 PM
that oil cooler would be awsome mine overheats sometimes if I'm not moving fast enough to get a little airflow every once in a while.

dirtdemon
03-17-2011, 08:08 PM
i say keep the rear end like that just improve on it