PDA

View Full Version : train me to dress for the cold

twitch101
01-31-2011, 11:07 PM
ive always lived in texas and most of the time once it hits around 50 i like to throw on a hoody or a carhart but on the 12 i will be traveling to north dakota for work and it will be outside all day in the snow working with my hands and most likely there will be spilled water. ive watched the weather and i have no idea how to prepare for this?

im asking for advice on how to dress and how many/what layers i need to wear. ive looked at the underarmour cold gear 3.0 and figured thats one good step but im at a loss for what to go for next.:wondering special socks? electric underwear? i need to be able to move freely to because i do alot of squatting, climbing, throwing, vine swinging, driving, and tooling.

H95Shooter
01-31-2011, 11:20 PM
first off have fun up here get a coat snow pant snow boots hat and keep moving if you cant use big snow gloves use the yellow work gloves with a hand warmer and dress in layers i dont realy feal the cold that much no more and of course try to make a fire but if you warm up by a fire and go work you will get colder may i ask were will u be located

MTS
01-31-2011, 11:22 PM
Oh your in for some work!!...Long Underwear#1! Good jeans, Long sleeve shirt, hoodie, Multiple pairs of socks, Good boots..Cannot stress that enough..Nothing sucks more than Cold feet, i wear all that under a pair of coveralls, Some people prefer insulated carhart Stuff...But i find it gets heavy and awkward..(unless its -35C)...but works good with a good coat if you get too warm working, Sweating sucks..you will get chilled ass to the bone when your done if your over dressed. And last but not least..a few pairs of insulated gloves..and a good touqe,..Not sure exactly what your doing..but it always helps to keep a dry warm pair of gloves tucked in close when your fingers freeze!!

twitch101
01-31-2011, 11:28 PM
i think ill be in fargo where they harvest all the sugar beets. im goin out there to (further) chill the ground and set up some chillers we are bringing in. lots of flanges, gaskets, 6 inch rubber hose and probably a plethora of 4/0 cable and generators. bringing it down to -40 i dont know why they worry about the beets thawing at such low temps though?

Thorpe
01-31-2011, 11:37 PM
I like to throw on a hoody or a carhartt... 12 doesnt sound too bad!

cattle-dog
01-31-2011, 11:39 PM
i wear good longjohns, insulated jeans, t-shirt, insulated top a hoodie,loose sweatshirt, winter carhart, for gloves i only need the light tan thin leather work gloves. i find dressed like that i am good until about -10 or so depending on what kind of work we are doing that day, any colder i replace the carhart with coveralls and a hat that covers my ears and a hoodie, something to cover you face also.

twitch101
01-31-2011, 11:40 PM
im worried about the negative temps up there along with windchill because i wont get a chance to go inside for most of the day. talking 14-18 hour days for atleast 2 weeks

twitch101
01-31-2011, 11:54 PM
cool guess ill be visiting bass pro this weekend