PDA

View Full Version : Any Electricians Here?

coolpool
02-02-2011, 08:15 PM
Here's the deal; I put in a gas line to install a gas range in my kitchen. All I have behind the stove now is the large electrical plug in (220/240?). I believe I'll need a 110 receptacle to plug the new gas range in for the electronics to operate. Am I going to have to run a new 110 service up to the new range or is there a plug much like a RV plug in adapter that steps it down?

jeswinehart
02-02-2011, 08:47 PM
I am obviously not a electrician but,,,
You drop one of the 110 leads (you now have 2 110 leads and a ground) and make that a common and ties into the ground bar and that will give you 110 with ground.
The wires at the back of the range are probably going to be too heavy a gauge to use in a standard receptacle so you might just figure on a the old 220 lines going into a box with cover and coming out with 14 - 3, 12 - 3 wire is way over kill for gas ranges with electronic ignition but they do require a ground (or circuit board will probably not last a year and would be prone to line surge and the circuit boards really don't like like line surge)

Dirtcrasher
02-03-2011, 04:38 PM
If your plug was a 3 prong you had L1, L2 and N. Although N and the ground end up in the same place within the panel, it's best to run a dedicated neutral and ground.

It's a safety thing. Will L1 to N work? yes, but it isn't the right way to do it.

Watch your fingers in the panel :lol:

Ironbnder
02-03-2011, 05:01 PM
You should have a red, black and white wire feeding your (large) plug. *There may be a (green or bare) wire in there also.

In your breaker panel, the black needs to be hooked to a single pole breaker that is rated for the amps on the specification plate of the new stove. The white goes to the neutral bar (the one with all the other white wires). The green or bare wire goes to the ground (the one with all the other green or bare wires). If you do not have a (green or bare) then the red can be used as Dirtcrasher was saying, but this may confuse the next man in your panel. Fold and tape the red wire up out of the way if you do not need it. It will be there if you ever need to convert back to an electric stove.

At the new 110 plug behind the stove, the black hooks to the gold screw, white to the silver and the (green, bare or red) hooks to the screw hanging off the bottom by itself. As jeswinehart was saying your problem will be getting these big wires under these screws on the 110 plug. You can trim some of the strands if neccessary. Do not cut anymore than you have to.

Your single pole breaker in the panel is the key to safety. Make sure it is a 15, 20, or 30 amp as specified by the new stove. You can remove the double you had running the old stove or leave it there for a spare.

Xpress
02-03-2011, 05:36 PM
Just as a friendly reminder, be sure to turn the power off before you dig in :lol:

Been there done that :D

cattle-dog
02-03-2011, 05:50 PM
not the recomended way but they do make a rv adaptor from 220-110 bit as stated you will not be grounded properly.

coolpool
02-03-2011, 08:17 PM
Thanks for the info guys. Now I just need a new range. HMMMM new range or more trikes....decisions, decisions!

tri again
02-08-2011, 10:44 PM
Thanks for the info guys. Now I just need a new range. HMMMM new range or more trikes....decisions, decisions!

Keep your eyes open.
I ran into a guy at the supermkt with a gas stove in his truck.
He hauled it all the way cross country to find we don't have gas service here so he gave it to me.

Brand new looking, and it has a jet switch on the back to change it from natural gas to propane, so no need to go hunting for jets.

It's electric start and elec oven temp controls too so I have to plug it into 110 someday altho I've been lighting the burners with a match and run it on propane.

x2 on the ground / neutral circuits.

Everything here in 220 world is 2 hots and a ground, which is really neutral.
I split 'em when I need to but I also hot swap.

All the newer stuff has hots, a ground and a separate neutral and TWO separate 10 foot grounding rods pounded into the ground or TWO separate rods sticking out of the concrete foundation so more than a few people thought it was a good idea.

220 will kill you.
and 110 will definitely get your attention if it finds a ground thru your carkeys in yer pocket.

Best to throw the breaker before you fool with it, play dumb, ask a few scary stupid questions and maybe someone will do it for you.

Works for me. Learned that trick from my wife.