PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a stereo or my truck, opinions wanted...

Gearheadtom
02-06-2011, 09:36 PM
So, I'm looking to replace the stereo in my truck, but the problem is that my truck is a 1986, and I'm having trouble getting a stereo that fits. I need one of the older shaft style stereos with the knobs and stuff, but the only ones that a reasonably decent are like $200 for a new one.
I can cut the dash to make a newer style stereo fit, but I don't realy wanna do that, and I also don't realy wanna mount one under the dash.

Not sure what I should do, I need opinions haha

MTS
02-06-2011, 09:57 PM
My last 86..I think my dash where the deck go's was already Cut out..Just a bit of trimming..to make it fit nice...Ran the speaker wires under the carpet down the tunnel, worked pretty good, Other than that i would say a deck under the seat with remote would probably work good.

briano
02-06-2011, 10:01 PM
You can put in a CD changer that is operated by remote but it is a pain, better off to cut out the dash for a cd player. If you ever want to put it to stock, go to the junk yard and I'm sure they would let you cut out the piece that you need, then weld it in. I have cut out a few of my Chevys for a cd player, pretty easy to do.

dcreel
02-06-2011, 10:17 PM
Mount it in the glovebox.. In my old '80 Toyota 4X4 that had 2 buckets in it I made a wooden center console and mounted it and an equalizer in the center console with a wooden padded lid. I left the stock stereo in the dash. They stole it anyways.

Gearheadtom
02-06-2011, 11:23 PM
I've got a pretty decent cd player here... somewhere... I'll see how much I gotta cut, to make it fit, or I might mount it under the dash, same as my cb. I think those are pretty much the easiest and cheapest options.
To bad that Alpine deck I had that fit in died....

blue27
02-07-2011, 02:05 PM
finding a good post radio for a decent price is hard to do, I have cut the dash out on some of mine, thats your best option.

Gearheadtom
02-14-2011, 06:42 PM
so, I've decided I'm going to cut the dash... I thought about mounting it under the dash, but with my choke knob (I converted it to a manual choke) and my cb, there's no real good spot.
The thing I've been wondering is how to mount the stereo in place. I can cut the dash so it fits in, but how would I fasten it in place? Any advice from someone that has done has done this before would be great...

cox
02-14-2011, 06:55 PM
Just make some brackets. There prolly is a dash kit for that vehicle though. whats the vehicle? Ive installed many a car decks, subs, amps, crossovers ect ect....

Gearheadtom
02-14-2011, 07:14 PM
Just make some brackets. There prolly is a dash kit for that vehicle though. whats the vehicle? Ive installed many a car decks, subs, amps, crossovers ect ect....

it's an '86 GMC Sierra
I think the way I've gotta do it it take the sleeve for the stereo, cut out the dash so it'll fit in, and somehow mount it, so I can slide my stereo into it.

cox
02-14-2011, 09:13 PM
If its a cavity, make a mockup of your deck out of wood or something. Use expanding foam in the cavity (not much), and set the mockup in it till the foam dries. When its done drying pull the mockup out and bam! Perfect mold for your deck. If you do it right you dont even need the cage.

cr480r
02-14-2011, 09:36 PM
it's an '86 GMC Sierra
I think the way I've gotta do it it take the sleeve for the stereo, cut out the dash so it'll fit in, and somehow mount it, so I can slide my stereo into it.

my '78 was done this way.. its also got a strap to support the rear, but that probably isnt necessary in a 2wd..

If its a cavity, make a mockup of your deck out of wood or something. Use expanding foam in the cavity (not much), and set the mockup in it till the foam dries. When its done drying pull the mockup out and bam! Perfect mold for your deck. If you do it right you dont even need the cage.

sounds like a good way to burn the deck up... and possibly even the whole truck

cox
02-14-2011, 09:50 PM
lol, burn the truck up. How much you planning on using? perhaps i should find some pics for you. Maybe if you filled the dash then tried to fit the deck in, lmfao. I would love to see that. Use some steel. I have installed a hell of a lot of car audio, cant say i have ever seen any one of them light on fire. It looks like they dont make a dash kit for that year, that i could find quickly. Your gunna have to get creative.

cox
02-14-2011, 09:54 PM
This site has everything you need.

http://www.crutchfield.com/m_750/Car-Stereo-Installation.html?tp=1385

Dash kit
http://www.crutchfield.com/g_112200/Vehicle-specific-Mounting-Kits.html?tp=3121
Wire harness
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_120701677/GM-Receiver-Wire-Harness.html?tp=2977

Gearheadtom
02-14-2011, 09:57 PM

it's all open behinde the dash. I can reach up under the dash and grab the stereo I've got in there now and unplug wires haha

bigbadktm
02-15-2011, 12:17 AM
easiest solution would be to use the sleeve that comes with the stereo, they come with different tabs depending on the thickness of the dash and you just pop the ones you need

Gearheadtom
02-15-2011, 12:50 AM
This site has everything you need.

http://www.crutchfield.com/m_750/Car-Stereo-Installation.html?tp=1385

Dash kit
http://www.crutchfield.com/g_112200/Vehicle-specific-Mounting-Kits.html?tp=3121
Wire harness
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_120701677/GM-Receiver-Wire-Harness.html?tp=2977

thanks for the link, that looks like what I'm going to need... I'm gunna have a look to see if there's an easy way to mount the sleeve for the stereo tho, and if not, I'll probaly order a kit from them.

I'm gunna have a look at a local place tho just on the off chane they may have something (dought it), and oddly enough, it's Cox Electronics haha

cr480r
02-15-2011, 01:32 AM
lol, burn the truck up. How much you planning on using? perhaps i should find some pics for you. Maybe if you filled the dash then tried to fit the deck in, lmfao. I would love to see that.

ya lol... i would like to see a pic sometime.. I was picturing somethin hazardous.. i was picturing the deck completely encased in foam with little or no ventilation..... I am all for simple and effective creativity. Now i am curious what you meant

Gearheadtom
02-15-2011, 01:18 PM
I think this is exactly what I need right here. http://www.crutchfield.com/p_176GM16/Chevrolet-GMC-In-dash-Receiver-Kit.html?tp=3121
Just not exactly sure how that's held in place, and how the deck would be held in...

Edit: I found the sleeve for the deck, and figured out how the sleeve would be held into it, just don't know how that would be help onto my dash.

cox
02-15-2011, 09:55 PM
Well if you encased it then you would have one hell of a fire hazard, lol. That expanding foam is awesome, just dont get it on you. Ill see if i can find some pics of the install in my lebaron for you. Basically you make pillars under and on the sides to hold it in place. Dont even need much. But i would use a dash kit for sure before going that route, lol. Its time consuming and can be very messy.

OP - order the parts, you will see how it will all mount when everything goes in. Make sure you get that wire connector as well. That way you can just unhook factory deck and plug in the new one with a molex connector instead of hacking up your factory wires. Shouldnt be more than 50 bux for both of them.

blue27
02-15-2011, 10:06 PM
you need to cut out the hole and keep it as closeto the steering wheel side ofthe panel as you can, the cage will go through the plastic cluster face and then into the dash. You need to run a rear strap to help hold in it in place. Normally I have used a file and removed the raised edge on thecluster where the face would set against. Itworks better then the adapterplate from crutchfeild. I will try and get a pic here soon of one of mine.

Gearheadtom
02-15-2011, 10:29 PM
you need to cut out the hole and keep it as closeto the steering wheel side ofthe panel as you can, the cage will go through the plastic cluster face and then into the dash. You need to run a rear strap to help hold in it in place. Normally I have used a file and removed the raised edge on thecluster where the face would set against. Itworks better then the adapterplate from crutchfeild. I will try and get a pic here soon of one of mine.

that might work... when we get some warmer weather I'll take the sleeve out to the truck and see what my best option is gunna be.

Gearheadtom
02-16-2011, 11:16 PM
Had a quick look at it today... decided that I'll probaly go with the kit from crutchfield, just because I realy don't know what the hell I'm doing haha

blue27
02-19-2011, 12:45 PM
here are some ppics of an old radio thats in one of my "future" project trucks