PDA

View Full Version : engine not shifting

85 big red
02-07-2011, 05:20 PM
i have 85 honda 250es iam trying to fix it up and the engine wont shift at all.i replaced both clutches and i still have the same problem.but when i turn the engine over by turning the clutch that is connected to the crank shaft to a certain position i can shift all 5 gears.

can anyone help me out with this problem

thank you trevor

Thorpe
02-08-2011, 01:32 AM
Trevor-- Step 1, its not your engine. Step 2 check into the transmission. Step 3, this should be posted in the Trikesylvania section, but your new, so I wont bust hammer your balls to hard. Step 4 Replace part # 21 http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmotorcycles/1985-honda-atc250es/o/m1902#sch9401

tri again
02-08-2011, 09:55 PM
i have 85 honda 250es iam trying to fix it up and the engine wont shift at all.i replaced both clutches and i still have the same problem.but when i turn the engine over by turning the clutch that is connected to the crank shaft to a certain position i can shift all 5 gears.

can anyone help me out with this problem

thank you trevor

ok, let's see.

You replaced both clutches, so does that mean you replaced the clutch 'pads' inside the automatic clutch drum?

An now it only shifts when you have that clutch drum in a certain clock position, like maybe something is jamming it up?

Have you ever ridden this 250 es before?
Is it like trying to shift and nothing happens until you rock the trike back and forth?

x2 w/ thorpe btw.

You'll get more answers faster if you can find the 'trikesylvania' forum and post there...not easy to find with my text based win 98 machine.
also, if you can find the 'world class help' section, there may be manuals in there that you can either hopefully read with adobe acrobat (i use version 4 because it works faster than the new fancy versions)
or download 120+ megs if you have net connection speed and harddrive space.

02-17-2011, 01:01 AM
Check and make sure the shifter isn't hitting the peg.