PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone ever shipped a motor??

freaksfix
11-14-2002, 10:20 PM
I got an R motor to ship and was wondering if anyone ever shipped a motor ( Im new to the internet used parts counter, and I love it!!). Who's the best company to go with? UPS? Will UPS ship a wooden crate? Or will they ship a motor? Any info would be very helpful...thanks....

OldSchoolin86
11-15-2002, 12:25 AM
I've shipped a couple and if your buyer has the time just use the post office ground w/insurance. By far the cheapest. If time is a factor I use Priority. I used UPS for a long time. I just got tired of spending too much and they need a physical address unlike the post office who can use P.O. Boxes. I always put my motors in a plastic milk crate and then in a cardboard box just big enough to fit the crate. That way they can drop it or what ever and it doesn't brake. Don't know about wooden crates but I'll bet they don't care.

TimSr
11-15-2002, 12:55 AM
Ive shipped a handful by UPS. I get a cardboard box with plenty of extra room, 17" computer monitor boxes work great. I put a smaller flat, something like 3" high and maybe 10x12, like a motherboard box, fill the small box with packing so it wont collapse, lay it on the bottom of the big box. Make sure the motor is completely drained, and put it in about 3 trash bags to be sure it wont leak, and stuff some newspaper inside the trash bags to absorb any oil that does. Sit the motor on top of the small box, then put small boxes around it so it fits tight in the center. Then put smaller boxes on top. The idea is to keep the motor suspended in the center of the box no matter which side is up. Also large styrofoam pieces can be used in place of the small boxes, like you would also find in a computer monitor box. (hey Im a computer dealer, what can I say?) Ive been audited by UPS several times, and never had a problem, and never had one leak. Ive shipped over 600 items, and never had one damaged in shipping. I would also highly recommend UPS over the postal service on large items. Youll find little price difference, (except AK, HI and overseas) if any, and UPS tracking is far superior, and $100 insurance is included, with more insurance optional.

TimSr
11-15-2002, 12:57 AM
UPS will ship wooden containers as well.

skippy
11-15-2002, 01:18 AM
get yourself a good quality rubbermaid container.. fill it with newspaper for the fluid, and that foam insulation that you get for houses.. the sheet stuff.. and stuff it in there tight...then duck tape the lid and container.. no leaks, no failures!

freaksfix
11-15-2002, 01:20 AM
Cool..thats what I needed to hear, cause I'm so damn impatient I built the crate before looking into it....thanks alot guys...this ones on me :Beerchug

Howdy
11-15-2002, 10:07 AM
I have used all of the above. Boxes, crates, totes, ect.

I have to agree the rubbermaid tote is "My" choice for shipping a motor. They are lighter ( less shipping cost ), quick ( less packing time ), also they will contain any possible oil leakage.
The only difference I would do other than what Skippy said is using zip ties to close it. Bill_X_R sent me a 350x motor in a tote like that. He got the tote from a motor he had shipped to him, so it's reuseable ( storage or Shipping ).

To use zip ties you just need to drill 5-10 holes per side in the flange around the top. Another 3-5 holes on each end. Then put about 2" of newspaper/cardboard on the bottom. Then put the motor in and pack newspaper around the sides and top. Put on the lid zip tie it, label it and ship it. If your still worried about it opening use some strapping tape. That stuff is very strong. ( I bought a case of it from www.brasspack.com ). When the guy gets the motor then he can remove the motor and use the tote for around the garage/shop. I don't know to many people that can't use a good tote in their shop or garage. ;) ;) I probably will be selling a couple complete motors soon and you can bet this it the way I am going.
FYI: The first motor I shipped took me a hour plus to package up. The last motor took me about 10 minutes from start to finish, thats including drilling the holes. You can't beat a ship almost ready motor container for $5 to $7 at Dollar General.

freaksfix
11-15-2002, 12:24 PM
How much does it ussaly cost??