PDA

View Full Version : Bored at Work - Pic Heavy

coolpool
02-10-2011, 11:50 PM
It was quiet at work last weekend so I finally got out of the Control Room to get some pics. This is an Oil Sands facility that I've been at since start up in 2006. I'm so lucky that I get to put in 12 hour shifts staring at the computer screens:crazy: I don't mind it at -40 though:naughty:

D-dub
02-11-2011, 12:15 AM
Cool pics! I bet you need a thick cup of coffee to get throught those 12 hr shifts.lol:D

MTS
02-11-2011, 12:29 AM
That cup of crude Looks an awful lot like the coffee at the husky stations :lol::lol:

dcreel
02-11-2011, 12:37 AM
Thank you for the pics, that was very interesting..

sixpackrt
02-11-2011, 12:41 AM
LoL one screen has a 250r on it and the other has flebay on it.

coolpool
02-11-2011, 01:19 AM
LoL one screen has a 250r on it and the other has flebay on it.
That's what gets me through the day....this site, eBay, Kijiji and Infomall.

Chazz of Blades
02-11-2011, 05:23 AM
I knew I recognized that R!

UlsterATCFan
02-11-2011, 06:42 AM
Very interesting pics, I assume the steam separates the oil from the sand? The firm I work for manufactures mechanical seals and couplings, no doubt there will be some of our product in your plant, Sulzer pumps a major customer of ours

reddawg85
02-11-2011, 08:12 AM
that coffe will put some hair on trailprotrailpro chest..lol

hang&rattle
02-11-2011, 09:07 AM
Awesome you have a great job, really, any job would be good I spose', lol. Is that Iprefer3's 82'? Your a tough fella, folk don't relize the struggle in the bitter cold, and it's not even that bad here, lol. Now I have a new duct tape quote for the kids, thanks!, Lol!!

Vealmonkey
02-11-2011, 10:33 AM
Thanks for the pics. I know what you mean about the long hours at work. I can't imagine below freezing.

coolpool
02-11-2011, 11:16 AM
Very interesting pics, I assume the steam separates the oil from the sand? The firm I work for manufactures mechanical seals and couplings, no doubt there will be some of our product in your plant, Sulzer pumps a major customer of ours

The wells themselves (injector and producer) start out vertical then slowly turn becoming horizontal at a depth of 450m. Then the actual production piping reaches out another 750-1000m horizontally. The well strings below ground are situated 5m apart one above the other. The general principal is that we inject steam in the top string, it heats up the bitumen, condenses and through gravity and pressure differences is flows into of the bottom string to surface. We also inject huge amounts of natural gas partway down the producer well to lighten up the heavy crude lifting it to surface. The bitumen in it's natural state is comparable to coal. It needs a tremendous amount of heat to liquify. The water/oil/gas separation is done at in the plant. We are able to burn 100% of the gas that's injected and we recover 85-90% of the steam condensate that goes down hole.

Brockey
02-11-2011, 07:49 PM
Where is this plant located. I have worked on just about every plant in Fort Mcmurray. I worked on the coker that blew up in cnrl too. Opps.

I see your in Cold Lake, my ex moved out of there a few months ago. Cool. Lol

yooperman
02-11-2011, 08:24 PM
that would be a good job, just not me i would end up in the funny farm just sitting there looking at monitors all day. i would rather be working out side or working with my hands and back not my mind lol. it gets dangerous when i try to use my mind lol

coolpool
02-11-2011, 09:21 PM
Brockey - The plant is 20 mins from Cold Lake.
Yooperman - I've worked all areas of the plant and field since 2006. I agree, the outside work is the best. Apparently it's a promotion to work the panel.

JayBone
02-28-2011, 09:55 AM
I thought is was the only bored at work. Today is super super slow. All i can do is surf the web (CL) for stuff!!

From those pic's it looks like a pretty east job.

coolpool
02-28-2011, 03:37 PM
I thought is was the only bored at work. Today is super super slow. All i can do is surf the web (CL) for stuff!!

From those pic's it looks like a pretty east job.

:rolleyes:I know it looks like a nice easy place to work but we deal with acid, caustic, high pressure 300 degree C steam, 160 degree C emulsion, extremely flammable vapours everywhere and Hydrogen Sulfide(H2S)gas; which is colorless, odorless and extremely poisonous. And our ambient temps can range from -40C to +32C.