PDA

View Full Version : First casualty of the year... Son broke his foot...All Healed and back in action...

HuffieVA
02-14-2011, 11:38 PM
Well, we have been patiently waiting for April to start our father/son hare scrambles team... Wife an Iade a 400 mile round trip to pick up a nice low hour ATK to ride for the season, and my son went with his buddy to an area trail park... He was kickin' it on the MX track an dropped his front wheel in the whoops resulting in a spectacular crash and three broken bones in his foot, we have to go Wednesday to see if he needs pins. He was a trooper though, he picked himself and the bike up and rode it back to the truck on his own...

Remember guys/girls be careful out there...
We all know its part of the game but lets keep the injuries to a minimum...

http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc461/HuffieVA/HOFFMAN-QUINTIN-S--CRFrom2-13-2011S0I1.jpg
http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc461/HuffieVA/HOFFMAN-QUINTIN-S--CRFrom2-13-2011S0I0.jpg
And the Twins...
http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc461/HuffieVA/thetwins.jpg

coolpool
02-14-2011, 11:44 PM
Ouch! Heal quick, the nice weather's coming!

bigbadktm
02-15-2011, 12:09 AM
sweet looking bikes, but how do you get used to that left hand kick?...lol

HuffieVA
02-15-2011, 12:20 AM
sweet looking bikes, but how do you get used to that left hand kick?...lol

You don't you just get really good at not stalling it:D

dcreel
02-15-2011, 12:35 AM
Rodd, that is a bummer. I hope the pain isn't too great and your son gets some good news on Wednesday. Definitely keep us posted.. Did they say how long the rehab would be? Or does it depend on what happens wednesday?

HuffieVA
02-15-2011, 01:23 AM
Doug,
They said anywhere from four to six weeks, depending on if he needs to have pins or not. He's in good spirits though, almost proud, he couldn't wait to get to school this morning... man what a difference between 13 and 40, last injury I had was just a sprained ankle and I laid around as much as I could for the first few days, he's already been out to the garage surveying the bike for damage... and he only wants the medicine at night, I swear at 75 pounds he has the pain tolerance of a Marine.

dcreel
02-15-2011, 03:12 AM
Doug,
They said anywhere from four to six weeks, depending on if he needs to have pins or not. He's in good spirits though, almost proud, he couldn't wait to get to school this morning... man what a difference between 13 and 40, last injury I had was just a sprained ankle and I laid around as much as I could for the first few days, he's already been out to the garage surveying the bike for damage... and he only wants the medicine at night, I swear at 75 pounds he has the pain tolerance of a Marine.

Ahh youth.. Those were the good ole days.. I broke my left foot in the same place but 1 bone and it was the other side of the bone. I cut the cast off 2 weeks later so I could finish moving. I was on the downstairs side of a roll top desk when a buddy of mine let go of the upstairs end. Landed right on top of my left foot. It definitely was painful..

hang&rattle
02-15-2011, 04:34 AM
Well, I'm proud of you being a cool dad Huff and as a Rodeo Cowboy who frequented the emergency room often for 17 years, gotta tip my hat to your son, proud of him. It's a braggin' rights thing now, maybe he should try his hand at bullriding? Since he shrugged it off it'll heal really fast, pain tolerance is a quick healing aid.

tri again
02-15-2011, 06:32 AM
Can't see too well but it would sure be nice to try and align the 'unbroken' bones too if they do pin it.
He'll most likely be asleep anyway.

Any good osteopathic / orthopedic surgeon would consider that.

Good mobility after healing is really important.

For instance, the first muscle to contract when throwing a rock??
big toe on the opposite foot side.

If nothing else, make sure he follows thru with post op instructions and therapy.
Most can be done at home for free. Barefoot in beach sand after it heals..fun stuff like that.

Most people I know just can't wait to get it over with.

Dirtcrasher
02-15-2011, 12:47 PM
Better to break it than sprain it in some cases.

I twisted my ankle in volley ball when I was about 28yo and it was messed up at least 3 years, just kept re injuring it, it seemed like it would never heal.....

Glad he's in good spirits and awesome bikes!!

MudBug
02-15-2011, 07:17 PM
I was in an accident when I was his age, I wish to god that I would have broken my leg. Instead I tore all ligaments and all cartlidge was damaged. I am now turning 18 and it still acts up. I hope I can get some kind of surgery on it soon! I wish the best for your son!

sx250heath
02-15-2011, 07:46 PM
Get well soon

HuffieVA
04-19-2011, 10:33 PM
Back to his old tricks, I finished rebuilding his bike over the weekend and I got home from work today and he and his friend had a new ramp built ready to try out... I'd say the foot is officially healed up...

http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc461/HuffieVA/th_Quintintryingoutthenewjump.jpg (http://s1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc461/HuffieVA/?action=view&current=Quintintryingoutthenewjump.mp4)

dcreel
04-19-2011, 11:41 PM
Awesome.. what's he riding in the video? I thought KX125.. but the r/h shroud throws me off..

HuffieVA
04-19-2011, 11:54 PM
Believe it or not its an 87 KX80, when he was out of commission we tore it down to the frame and rebuilt it, picked up a new cylinder from Eric Gore, an nos ProCircut pipe on ebay and all new plastics, hes too short for a 125, but if he gets the stroker down, I'll get him a new KX100 and his mom can have his KLX140 (he already doesn't want anything to do with it... kind of funny he lets a brand new bike sit to ride one that's almost 25 years old, wish I knew that before)