PDA

View Full Version : Title mess suggestions

Macs
02-15-2011, 08:38 PM
I purchase a bike about two years ago. When I purchased it my wife was suppose to get everything transferred. I guess it slipped through the cracks. I rode it about 6 months and then put it up. I went to put it up for sale and realized that it was still in the previous owners name. I headed down to the title office and they said it would be $750 to put it on my name. It was like $25 a month plus other fines. Does anyone know a way around this? This is in Texas.

xsrock
02-15-2011, 08:55 PM
What kind of bike, street, dirt, atv?

Thorpe
02-16-2011, 10:16 AM
Tell them it has been non-functional until now. Have done that up here in MN at least...

thestud25
02-16-2011, 10:34 AM
In Missouri, it is a fine of $25 a month with a max cap at $200.00. I would make sure the rep at the DMV knows what they are talking about.

Macs
02-16-2011, 11:33 AM
I will have to check and see if there is a cap.

It is on a street legal dirt bike. I tried to say that it was a bare frame and i just pieced everything together over the last two years. The clerk said that it didnt matter. I have 30 days to put it in my name.

thestud25
02-16-2011, 11:40 AM
I would call the Texas Department of Revenue or Motor Vehicles and get the correct answer.

hang&rattle
02-16-2011, 11:53 AM
I feel for you, and ya, it's absolutely ridiculous trying to register cycles. My state doesn't even know how to do it. I have spent over 6 1/2 hours on the phone and the price and procedure has changed with every phone call, I am not exaggerating. The minimum cost for me and my kids bikes is $600, max $2,400. The problem is, there is no one in the state that knows how to go about it in my particular county. So the easiest is for me to pay the tickets, as no one knows what is legal here to make it legal. I think charging $300 per trike should be illegal. I can however, register my cycles (3-wheelers) in another state, and an off-road sticker is an off-road sticker. As long as my bikes are licensed somewhere, they are legal (hint, hint), know what I mean?

swifty
02-16-2011, 12:06 PM
if you can get ahold of the previous owner whos name the title is in just have him go in and get a lost title, then resign it to you then its like you just bought it again they dont know he ever sold it if it hasent been transfered

swifty
02-16-2011, 12:08 PM
and yes there still will be fee's but they maybe way less

tri again
02-16-2011, 04:00 PM
rideatvoregon.org allows out of staters to take a test and get a genuine plastic license mailed out for free.

Off road stickers are 10 bucks. Oregon gave up on DMV registration for atc's so it's all thru bike shop stickers and off road permits.

Maybe any official looking documentation would help.

Calif would make you pay SALES tax on stuff you already own plus back years of registration. so a 500$ 20 year old bike could cost you a couple grand just to get legal.

Some great cars get junked because they have too many parking tickets and you can buy them but never register them.

Have you looked into 'historical plates'? Vehicles over 25 years old have a special category and usually a one time deal.