PDA

View Full Version : I found a 'New Old Stock' 1986 250SX engine.. with zero hours..

dougspcs
03-03-2011, 09:16 AM
I am new to 3 wheeling. At 40 I decided I need a hobby and bought 2, Big Red 250ES, and a 250SX. Both are in decent shape and I am loving this sport!!

Recently a message showed up in the local Craigslist from a guy claim to have a NOS 250SX engine. So I ran over and bought it but at $300 I think I stole it. Seems the guy worked in a machine shop that was paid by the local Honda distributor to destroy all the 3 wheelers that hadn't been sold when were made illegal in 1986.

They had at one time 14-15 and over the years had given a few to the local high school, then sold some and I happened to get the last one.

WHAT A SCORE..this engine is mint. The wiring and cables were all cut when it was pulled, it has 25 years of shop grime on it from sitting on a shelf. But this is the real deal. Original oil in the sump and still clear, no carbon in the exhaust port, starter, stator, and carb included.

I am starting a ground up restore on my 250SX with this new engine being the crowning piece..

I posted my story on the Facebook website for 3wheeler.com and got mixed thoughts. Some were as excited as I, some didn't believe me, and one guy looked at the pictures I posted and commented on my nice Honda Odyssey engine. Like they even look similar..dope!!

Has anyone ever seen this before? There couldn't be many like it around. What are they worth? To me it's priceless and I'm not selling it but I'm just curious.

Brockey
03-03-2011, 11:30 AM
Welcome to the site. Good score. I dont see any pics but I am on my cell phone might be the reason. There have been many nos motors pop up over the years and more everyday.

aldochina
03-03-2011, 11:54 AM
cool, great price. i have 3 350x motors, a 250es motor, and a 70 moter, all same story as yours, they are around every so often. look forward to seeing pics of your project. may want to postin the trikesylvania section, your thread will get more action.

dougspcs
03-03-2011, 02:38 PM
Here some pics to browse of the engine I found..a few scratches here and there from the years from handling. I clean 85% of the grime off it.

I have my 250SX in storage, but my 250ES is here in my shop. I haven't decided which unit is more deserving of this engine and a complete restore..I am leaning toward the 250SX.

Thanks for the response guys.

Bretmd94
03-24-2011, 06:00 PM
Doug, you scored buddy! That is what this hobby is really about sometimes, finding those rare perfect parts. You could probably sell the old motor out of your sx and pay for that new one.

thestud25
03-24-2011, 06:31 PM
Nice score !

atc007
03-24-2011, 06:47 PM
Nice score for sure! I have one,2 rears,and 1 350X. 85,,6 and 7 were all black. It is more than likely a 87,as I own 3 of the complete machines,seems more of these and the 200X's got out. If the engine VIN # begins with 85,it's an 85,6,86,7,87. That easy. As far as your question!! Probably would fetch $800 easy enough! Nice find!