PDA

View Full Version : Finally... My AR-15

Thorpe
03-03-2011, 10:28 PM

A pic of my new Bushmaster ORC with a Nikon Monarch 5.5x16.5-44

3Wheelingfool
03-04-2011, 02:48 AM
Back 25 years ago when I started in the gun hobby there where only three brands of AR to be considered. Armalite, Bushmaster and Colt. Just remember your ABC's was the saying when it came to AR-15's. That being said I have always worshiped at the Colt alter. These days there are plenty of super awesome uber tactiCoooL boutique AR makes out there...

MyMistress86R
03-04-2011, 08:12 AM
x2 on the Colt recommendation. I have served in the military for almost 14 years and nothing beats the original...

86T3
03-04-2011, 09:44 AM
I have a smith and wesson M&P and i like it. Its real tight compared to a couple bushmasters that my friends have. I'm not really a connoisseur though, just wanted something for home protection that a my 110lb special lady could handle. But people tell me the swat teams use S&W so i figure if its good enough for them its good enough for me

Jerm1179
03-04-2011, 10:34 AM
not try'n to jack your thread....but im also looking at an AR within the next year or so...
Colt was the original maker of the AR?
what attachments do you guys prefer?

bkm
03-04-2011, 10:43 AM
I've had a Bushmaster for four years and have had zero problems with it and its a tack driver.

Chazz of Blades
03-04-2011, 05:20 PM
I prefer an FNFAL, but my Colt has never let me down, I've been considering getting an Armalite after shooting it after my Colt, it just had a better, tighter feel to it.

dksix
03-04-2011, 05:38 PM
Went I was into guns I liked to start with RRA as far as a bought complete gun I like the LMT better than anything I've every owned in the AR15 platform. There really isn't than many places that can forge lowers. The different companies that have sprung up over the late few years all buy the forgings from the 3 or so places that can forge them and run them on their own CNC machines. that's why quality can vary so much now but to be "MIL-SPEC" they have to all be within tolerance of the original blueprints. There are some that machine from bar stock but that really only makes the out side finish different, though the work hardening of forging makes them a little stronger. I had one of the first Olympic Arms AR lowers and it was machined from bar stock. The other parts of an AR can vary a great deal, there is some real junk out there. bolts not fulling locking in the barrel extension, rough creepy triggers, short chambers, slam fires and the worse thing I've seen is a big burr at the gas hole causing lead/brass build up and way too much pressure to the point of barrel failure. The established name brands have QA and bad stuff doesn't get out but the fly by night companies that are selling cheap are cutting corners somewhere. There is a reason Colt, BM, RRA and DPMS aren't the cheapest thing out there. You don't have to spend $600 for a barrel but a $300 parts kit might get you hurt.

Revits72
03-04-2011, 06:49 PM
Love my DPMS. There are tons of AR's out there,do a little studying pick a budget and go from there. Brownells is a great source for parts and you can pretty much pick parts,then assemble and see finish product....guns are like trikes..addicting!!! between my 3 3wheelers and guns I spend alot of money,need a sugar momma. Check out Springfield Armory M1a1 scout or socom..my next purchase after the tri-z is finished.

plastikosmd
03-04-2011, 07:48 PM
I have an armalite and colt, cant say anything bad about either

Thorpe
03-04-2011, 08:15 PM
DPMS is located just an hour away from me, but have talked to a guy at the local gun shop, who used to assemble for them, said that their quality has gone down alot over the last couple of years...

Loving the input guys, I appreciate it alot. Keep it coming!

wildonewest
03-04-2011, 10:48 PM
I have a Colt light weight that I've had for 15 years now with 9,000 rounds through it mostly wolf ammo and the only time it ever jammed was during bump firing it dirty. I sent it out to have a Colt flat top install on the upper and the gun smith check the chamber for ware and he said "looks like about 4,000 rounds went thro it" and that was done last year!

I also have a Colt A2 heavy barrel.

My latest project is a AR-45 that I built (45 ACP). Bazooka brothers did the lower and laser engraved my cattle brand on the receiver. It has a DPMS upper and takes WWII 30 round grease gun mags. It's so new the serial # is 00029.

You can build a AR into just about any caliber. The are making them now for the Marlin 450 round!

I wished some one would make an AR in 30-06 but not yet, so I went and bought a 1918A3 BAR. That's what my Wife is shooting in my youtube back ground picture.

Have fun!!!

Chazz of Blades
03-04-2011, 11:00 PM
a 450 AR-15? Jeez.

Now I want to see one in the .50 round thats fired out of the desert eagle. Range would be a bit of an issue though.

wildonewest
03-04-2011, 11:06 PM
There is a 50 BMG that goes on top of your AR-15 lower receiver but it's a bolt action
http://www.bohicaarms.com/index.html

Chazz of Blades
03-05-2011, 04:38 AM
I mean the .50AE.

wildonewest
03-05-2011, 05:10 AM
tromix.com use to make an upper in .50AE but they went out of buisness years ago. The .50 Beowulf is cool!!! That's going to be my next upper, Takes .223 mags, single stackl.

250rmanfmf
03-05-2011, 12:53 PM
I also recommend the DPMS. I have upgraded lots of stuff. If you want a quad mount rail DONT buy the cheap 50-80 dollar ones. They are most times not solid and have play. Spend the money on a good one, I have a Full Float Daniels Defense rail. I built my ar-15 off a M4-A3 model with mainly Magpul and Eotech products. If you want your rifle to look like this let me know and I can give you a list of products.

Tyler

The Goat
03-27-2011, 03:54 PM
I had an op recently to shoot one of the katanas red jacket in baton rouge makes, smooth as silk, but with their tv show actually getting things from them has become a little harder.

smoke eater
03-27-2011, 09:37 PM
I have a Spikes Tactical lower out of Florida and i have been very impressed with it. I also have a 14 inch Daniel Defense bull barrel that is extremely accurate. There are alot of great mods and parts out there if you are willing to dig around online you can find some pretty good deals.

Thorpe
03-29-2011, 12:00 PM
I am between the DPMS Oracle and the Bushmaster ORC (both in 5.56)

dickieg89
03-29-2011, 12:04 PM
Not one of the originals but I have a stag arms left handed.

Thorpe
03-30-2011, 05:37 PM
Well, I put my money down on a Bushmaster ORC today... Should get my grubby hands on it in 3 days!

pitrider
04-04-2011, 11:00 PM
I prefer Rock River Arms. I own many and built many more. I go to Camp Perry every year and pick up any parts that I need. You can't go wrong with a DPMS either. Colts are overpriced have some of the crappiest triggers I have ever shot. Both of my Bushmasters rattle quite a bit and aren't very tight. Just my .02 worth.

Scootertrash
04-07-2011, 06:05 PM
Another Rock River owner here. 2 m4gerys and a NMA4. Very nice rifles. I also have 5 stag lowers waiting for builds (I got in on a group buy around the time Obumbler got elected) One of the builds will be a midlength since there are already two carbines here. Two of them may go to dedicated
.22 builds. One for me and one for the wife.

If you ever want to go to a dedicated .22 upper, Spikes Tactical is the way to go.

Here's a pic of the 2 M4gerys:
The one in front is mine the one in back is the wifes

http://i701.photobucket.com/albums/ww14/Scootertrash60/M4gery1.jpg

MojaveRider223
04-07-2011, 06:22 PM
When CMMG was running their bargain bins, I picked up one from them, turned out to be a CMMG lower and upper. It is certainly not in the league with other AR15's mentioned in this thread, but <knock on wood> I've never had a single failure, and all I've run through it is cheap Russian steel cased ammo. For $600 it's been great.

Scootertrash
04-08-2011, 11:02 PM
I heard those bargin bins were a great deal, but never had the dough to grab one at the time. Don't really matter what ya got as long as it goes bang when ya pull the trigger, and the holes are in the black!!

Thorpe
04-09-2011, 04:35 PM
Getting more and more irritated by the day... My bushmaster has been in for a week, got my scope for it and everything, what am I waiting on...??? My stupid boss to pay me the check he owed 2 weeks ago!!! GRRRR... I am getting impatient! I want my new toy!

RideRed250R
04-10-2011, 04:57 AM
cmmg for the win...
dpms is my second. yes colt, bushmaster and armalite started the game, but cmmg and dpms have finished it.. building 5.56/223 is easy as pie now a days, everything is mil spec, theres over 25 qualified lower makers that i would buy from. Te CMMG company however provides a oustanding lower for half the price of what armalite,colt and bush want... you have to realize that the ar-15 is a mil spec platform, anything mil spec will work FLAWLESSLY.

now i am building a AR-10 thats when stuff gets fishy.. its not mil spec and very much a one off gun... gotta do your hw thoroughly on that one.

Thorpe
04-19-2011, 09:35 PM
TTT for pic